C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 tire pressure sensor relearn.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Default 2006 tire pressure sensor relearn.

Disconnected the battery on my 2006 C6 coupe. Now one of the tire sensors(Left Rear) is reading 0 pressure. I have tried 3 scan tools to do the relearn precedure. None have even been able to start the relearn mode. I have put the car in accessory mode, then pressed the unlock and lock button at the same time, then getting 1 horn beep. I then start using the scan tool as directed by the tool. It will not recognize any of the sensors. Remember that all the sensors are working properly EXCEPT the left rear. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Disconnected the battery on my 2006 C6 coupe. Now one of the tire sensors(Left Rear) is reading 0 pressure. I have tried 3 scan tools to do the relearn precedure. None have even been able to start the relearn mode. I have put the car in accessory mode, then pressed the unlock and lock button at the same time, then getting 1 horn beep. I then start using the scan tool as directed by the tool. It will not recognize any of the sensors. Remember that all the sensors are working properly EXCEPT the left rear. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Disconnecting the car battery didn't cause the issue. You can disconnect the battery and the car will still remember the sensor ID codes. If these are the original sensors you may be facing a sensor battery end of life situation. There are some higher priced sensor tools that can tell whether your sensors are broadcasting properly but you probably will have to call around to find a shop that has one.

If you need replacement sensors make sure you get GM recommended sensors. Don't get them from an auto parts store. The cheap stuff the auto parts stores sell doesn't last long and they don't cover the cost of breaking down the tire to swap them out.

Bill
Old 08-30-2014, 11:15 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Disconnecting the car battery didn't cause the issue. You can disconnect the battery and the car will still remember the sensor ID codes. If these are the original sensors you may be facing a sensor battery end of life situation. There are some higher priced sensor tools that can tell whether your sensors are broadcasting properly but you probably will have to call around to find a shop that has one.

If you need replacement sensors make sure you get GM recommended sensors. Don't get them from an auto parts store. The cheap stuff the auto parts stores sell doesn't last long and they don't cover the cost of breaking down the tire to swap them out.

Bill
Why would the scan tools not pick up ANY of the sensors that are working properly? And these are dealership scan tools. Very expensive. One is a Wurth, Snap On, etc.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 04:50 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Why would the scan tools not pick up ANY of the sensors that are working properly? And these are dealership scan tools. Very expensive. One is a Wurth, Snap On, etc.
Thanks

Best guess, either the scan tool in the wrong setting. There is the 2005 to 2009 setting for those year cars, and then there is the 2010 to 2013 setting for those year cars (read two different tpms that the cars have to use, depending on the year of the car, and each has it own tool setting).

Or the TPMS are clones that at not using the standard OEM protocols to trigger them.

For these off standard trigger protocol clones, having a TPMS trigger tool that will cycle through protocols until it finds the the needed one, often works better than a tool that just uses the single standard set OEM protocol to scan the TPMS to trigger it that way instead.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:52 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This Friday I took my car to the service department cause keep getting low front tire 9 PSI. They reset tire sensor before I could finish my coffee, and was on my way with no charge.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Reset the sensors. Have 2 bad sensors. Getting them replaced as we speak. I guess it does not matter if two are new and 2 are old and different brands?
Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Reset the sensors. Have 2 bad sensors. Getting them replaced as we speak. I guess it does not matter if two are new and 2 are old and different brands?
Thanks for the replies!
When one of mine goes out, I just replace the whole set. Figure if one of the batteries is about deal, the other three are not far behind.

Gene has OEM's for around $50 each, and worth the extra money over the aftermarkets since the OEM TPMS batteries do last longer.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 tire pressure sensor relearn.

Quick Reply: 2006 tire pressure sensor relearn.