C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for best lifter and rockers to use on a&a supercharged c6

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:43 AM
vettedude78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for best lifter and rockers to use on a&a supercharged c6

Ok guys,
SO just purchased and A&A supercharged with blower cam. Car had the stock rocker arms on it and one of the broke losing the pins. Was going to go ahead and upgrade to the trunion or a roller rocker. Also found out one of my lifters is bad. I know I could just go ahead and replace the bad lifter and do the rocker arms and may never have any issue again, but Id rather be safe than sorry. What lifters and rocker arms do you guys use/recommend?

Mods are as follows:

Vortech blower
Crane Cam 226/240 @ .624 lift on 114
Lunati valve springs
on demand delivery external fuel system
FAST 80lb injectors
aftermarket oil cooler
Ported intake
Ported throttle body
ATI Super balancer
1 7/8" headers & Z06 exhaust

Going to do the underdrive pulley and a tune once I finish upgrading valvetrain
Old 08-31-2014, 08:06 AM
vettedude78
Instructor

Ttt
Old 08-31-2014, 01:04 PM
tuboy19
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the Lunati High RPM link bar lifters... they are what I use in my A&A car. As for the rockers, I would just stick stock and do the grunion upgrade as a safety. I'm guessing it was the lifter that killed the rocker because it is rare that the factory lifters fail. When you say under drive pulley... do you mean a smaller pulley for your blower? You have an ATI damper listed so that would be redundant and actually a waste on a boosted car.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM
vettedude78
Instructor

Did u mean to say that the rocker killed the lifter or the lifter killed the rocker lol. U said lifter killed rocker then that u hadn't seen the lifters fail. I'm sure u just got reversed right. I'm pretty new to the superchargers but I was told the pulley upgrade would raise the boost. It wont?
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM
tuboy19
Instructor

Sorry, haven't had lunch yet... one probably killed the other though, at least if they were on the same valve. A smaller pulley on the supercharger will spin the supercharger faster, a larger crank pulley will also spin the supercharger faster. Think of it like gears on a bicycle... your crank is the crank at the pedals and the supercharger is at the wheel. Spinning the supercharger faster creates more boost but you also need to consider belt slip becoming a potential problem. Smaller supercharger pulleys also have less surface area against the belt and would be even more likely to slip, larger crank pulleys would create the same affect however you would not lose surface area of the belt to the pulley on the supercharger. It's a lot to take in but think about it piece by piece and it all makes logical sense. Normally an underdrive pulley refers to the crank pulley though.

As for the rockers, I had 40k miles on my GTO that I spun to 7k with a cam with .614" lift on stock rockers and my Corvette has almost 60k miles with big cams and the stock rockers... neither had upgraded trunions either. I have seen too many aftermarket aluminum rockers snap to want to risk the "upgrade".

Last edited by tuboy19; 08-31-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: I can't spell apparently
Old 08-31-2014, 02:45 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

I have Yella Terra rockers still for sale. Josh At A&A installed these when he was here in Texas.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

They only have about 6000 miles on them. I went to Mast LS7 heads, so the rockers no longer worked for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:20 PM
vettedude78
Instructor

No issue brother lol, I actually use to be a bike mechanic so the logic makes perfect sense. I was glad I found out it had the ATI pulley on there because I know that is the expensive one since it has to be drilled and pinned. Gonna see what size pulley the V3 has on it and go from there. It use to be tuned to E85 and was put back to gas, so it is tuned really conservative. I want to upgrade the pulley and get a good tune on it and call it a day. I had thought about meth injection, I had it on my 335i, but I think id rather just do the pulley and tune and not have to mess with the meth. Maybe some other small stuff if I can find any other small power adders....

Originally Posted by tuboy19
Sorry, haven't had lunch yet... one probably killed the other though, at least if they were on the same valve. A smaller pulley on the supercharger will spin the supercharger faster, a larger crank pulley will also spin the supercharger faster. Think of it like gears on a bicycle... your crank is the crank at the pedals and the supercharger is at the wheel. Spinning the supercharger faster creates more boost but you also need to consider belt slip becoming a potential problem. Smaller supercharger pulleys also have less surface area against the belt and would be even more likely to slip, larger crank pulleys would create the same affect however you would not lose surface area of the belt to the pulley on the supercharger. It's a lot to take in but think about it piece by piece and it all makes logical sense. Normally an underdrive pulley refers to the crank pulley though.

As for the rockers, I had 40k miles on my GTO that I spun to 7k with a cam with .614" lift on stock rockers and my Corvette has almost 60k miles with big cams and the stock rockers... neither had upgraded trunions either. I have seen too many aftermarket aluminum rockers snap to want to risk the "upgrade".
Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 PM
vettedude78
Instructor

Appreciate the offer but I'm most likely gonna go with the trunion upgrade kit. Seems that is what everyone is recommending. I know the yella terra's had a few issues with snapping there for a while, so if I do go with a roller rocker Id prolly just go new. Your car sounds like a freakin beast, what kind of power are you putting down?

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
I have Yella Terra rockers still for sale. Josh At A&A installed these when he was here in Texas.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

They only have about 6000 miles on them. I went to Mast LS7 heads, so the rockers no longer worked for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

830 whp/ 780 wtq on a pretty safe tune...thru a Power Glide/ 3800-4000 converter / 3.42 rear
Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock rockers with Trunion upgrade are your best bet.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 PM
vettedude78
Instructor

Well, The verdict is in. The rocker I already knew was broke, the lifter is jacked and pretty much welded it to the block. Cam and block are shot as well. Looks like I'll be hunting a short block and doing a whole new cam kit and new build....... That hurts the bank. only a week old.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
tuboy19
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your luck. I am very happy with the 416 I ended up building. If you want to keep the V3 Si I suggest not going as big as I did... I desperately need a bigger blower to make any more power and am at my limits with my Si. Honestly meth is a great option, I run 100%. E85 would cost big $$ to get a fuel system and injectors capable of a lot of power in comparison and you'll be blowing thru fuel very quick.

A 5.3L is not a bad replacement considering low expense, reliability and cost of replacement. I have a friend with well over 800whp on his 5.3L, the thing loves boost and in the one event he killed the motor (ran 36psi when he was set up for 27psi) it was easy to source another and be back on the road. Keep posted in here with what you end up doing.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 PM
vettedude78
Instructor

mine was on a E85 tune from the original owner. It has the upgraded fuel system. I just have to run either or, not mix. If I go E85 I have to get a retune. I'll probably just go has. So, since all the piping and stuff for the v3 is already there, is it an option for you just to upgrade your blower. Much cheaper than a full system right???
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedude78
Well, The verdict is in. The rocker I already knew was broke, the lifter is jacked and pretty much welded it to the block. Cam and block are shot as well. Looks like I'll be hunting a short block and doing a whole new cam kit and new build....... That hurts the bank. only a week old.
How far have you torn down the engine to justify condeming it?
Steel and aluminum don't "weld" themselves together. There is something else going on here. Show us the damaged parts please.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the trunion upgrade on stock rocker arms. I go the ls7 lifters installed. You will be losing boost/power going to an underdrive pulley.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 PM
vettedude78
Instructor

Pics
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for best lifter and rockers to use on a&a supercharged c6

Quick Reply: Looking for best lifter and rockers to use on a&a supercharged c6