C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - only using half a tank of gas after pump and sender install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:20 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help - only using half a tank of gas after pump and sender install

After i installed a new fuel pump and sender in both tanks, I only get half a tank on the gauge. I know that both tanks are full, I filled up with 17 or so gallons.

All the hoses are connected. I have double checked the electrical connections. Is it possible that the fuel is not being used from the pass tank because it is not reading any fuel? I am wondering if I have a stuck float.

Any suggestions are welcome, the car is driving great.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got the wrong sensor!!!! Take you vin# with you to get the right sensor. My tanks have been out 4 times now! My car is 07 that was built in late 06. GM mixed alot of parts. My car has been down for 2 months! Thanks GM
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by silver ls2
You got the wrong sensor!!!! Take you vin# with you to get the right sensor. My tanks have been out 4 times now! My car is 07 that was built in late 06. GM mixed alot of parts. My car has been down for 2 months! Thanks GM
as in the tank level sensor?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:49 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the tank level sensor. Take your vin# to the dealer and get the correct sensor.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 AM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

So I replaced the passenger side sending unit and i'm getting the same thing. Is it possible that I reversed the wires on the drivers side unit? I'm going to try and reverse them at the external harness and see if that works. If not I'll be dropping the drivers side tank.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:03 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

I swapped the wires today and it still made no difference. Looks like p2066, hoping that I just put the wrong sender in the drivers tank.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:12 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by c6reaperx
I swapped the wires today and it still made no difference. Looks like p2066, hoping that I just put the wrong sender in the drivers tank.
Reversing wires won't make a difference because the sensor is just a variable resistor.

For the first couple model years, the sensor range was approximately 40 ohms (empty) to approximately 250 ohms (full).

If the sensor got dirty, electrical resistance would go up, causing the gauge to err in the full direction. That's not good, so GM reversed the range somewhere around 2007, so a dirty sensor would cause the gauge to err in the empty direction.

Place a multimeter across the sensor wires and check the resistance. With the car full of gas you should see ~250 ohms.

Get notified of new replies

To Help - only using half a tank of gas after pump and sender install

Quick Reply: Help - only using half a tank of gas after pump and sender install