C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default MAF cleaning

Was going thru some magazines before chucking them. I always seem to pick up some info the second time reading them. This article was on MAFs and how they worked. Last sentence was that you should clean your MAF every 6 months. The car only has 2,500 miles on it I have a K&N air filter and I know that the oiled cleaner might cause a problem. I picked up a can of MAF cleaner but I wanted to see if it made a difference. So before I cleaned it I hooked up my scanner and the MAF reading was 11.50 gm/sec at 700 rpm idle. After cleaning the reading was 10.2. Wow about 10% difference. So it was falsely reading more air and therefore was giving more fuel which would create a rich condition But the LTFT reading was -6 which says the O2 sensors saw rich and the ECM was compensating by leaning it back to stoich.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean with Every oil change!
Old 09-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

just had the check engine light come on this AM, haven't read the code yet but my guess is 'MAF' , since I recently installed an Airaid CAI ……. and NOT the one with the dry filter.

Any guess as to a cleaning and reset curing the situation ………… probably best to buy the 'dry' element as well I suppose
Old 09-06-2014, 06:51 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've cleaned mine two or three times in nine years. I see no reason to overdo it. I have friends and neighbors that never clean there's. Of course they don't drive Corvettes either.

Get notified of new replies

To MAF cleaning

Quick Reply: MAF cleaning