C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential chatter ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Differential chatter ????

Hi

After having my new (used) 07 A6 Vert for a couple of weeks i decided to see how it handled. My first target was a circle in my community which l took in both directions and heard thè same thing a grinding or groaning noise.

I read Southerns article regarding a simple fix by just changing the diff fluid.

Being that i have a bumper to bumper warranty should l ask them to switch the diff fluid or should i just pay for it?

By he way what does it cost to change the diff fluid?

Thanks

Alan
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It take about $60 worth of fluid and 1/2 hour to do.

No clue on the warranty, I only buy new cars.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Default Warranty

Originally Posted by timd38
It take about $60 worth of fluid and 1/2 hour to do.

No clue on the warranty, I only buy new cars.

I have a new car warranty, bumper to bumper. It was given to me
by the dealer GMPP!

This is a third car, my other two cars are new but l seem to use my golf cart more then any of them.

Alan
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by kingman
by the dealer GMPP!

This is a third car, my other two cars are new but l seem to use my golf cart more then any of them.

Alan
Great! Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

by the dealer GMPP!

Alan

Best guess, warranty is not going to cover diff fluid change, since this is part of your standard routine scheduled mantaince services that you pay out of pocket instead.

On the other hand, if the LSD clutch disc pack is toasted and needs to be replace, then the warranty should cover that.

As for buying a used vet, step one is to either change all the fluids yourself, or have the dealer do it as part of the sale. This way you know that the starting point of all the fluids when they where new, and when they need to be changed again.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Dano523;1587740650]Best guess, warranty is not going to cover diff fluid change, since this is part of your standard routine scheduled mantaince services that you pay out of pocket instead.

On the other hand, if the LSD clutch disc pack is toasted and needs to be replace, then the warranty should cover that.

As for buying a used vet, step one is to either change all the fluids yourself, or have the dealer do it as part of the sale. This way you know that the starting point of all the fluids when they where new, and when they need to be changed again.[/QUOT

Going to have everything changed including brake fluid. The only thing i will not touch is the A6
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

[QUOTE=kingman;1587742504]
Originally Posted by Dano523
The only thing i will not touch is the A6

Why?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

..............I read Southerns article regarding a simple fix by just changing the diff fluid................
The factory fill for all corvettes starting with MY2009 is DEXRON LS 75W90 and was introduced to stop diff chatter. And it has been very successful in doing that as I have read forum member reports over a good number of years. The previous factory fill Mr Goodwrench fluid is simply crap.

Either a dealer or DIY fluid change with DEXRON LS is in order for your 2007. An alternative fluid which I have had great success is AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W90 which is about half the price of the DEX LS. Be sure to do a half dozen or more figure 8s in a parking lot in both directions after the change to work the fluid into the clutch packs.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The factory fill for all corvettes starting with MY2009 is DEXRON LS 75W90 and was introduced to stop diff chatter. And it has been very successful in doing that as I have read forum member reports over a good number of years. The previous factory fill Mr Goodwrench fluid is simply crap.

Either a dealer or DIY fluid change with DEXRON LS is in order for your 2007. An alternative fluid which I have had great success is AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W90 which is about half the price of the DEX LS. Be sure to do a half dozen or more figure 8s in a parking lot in both directions after the change to work the fluid into the clutch packs.
Thanks l am on it.

Alan
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi

After having my new (used) 07 A6 Vert for a couple of weeks i decided to see how it handled. My first target was a circle in my community which l took in both directions and heard thè same thing a grinding or groaning noise.

I read Southerns article regarding a simple fix by just changing the diff fluid.

Being that i have a bumper to bumper warranty should l ask them to switch the diff fluid or should i just pay for it?

By he way what does it cost to change the diff fluid?

Thanks

Alan

Hey Alan,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing these noises on your 07. That's not a fun noise to hear especially on a Vette! Do you plan on visiting your dealership to have this concern diagnosed? They would be the best people to determine what could and could not be covered, based on the diagnoses. We would be happy to set up an appointment for you if you'd like! Let us know!

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Default Chatter

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Alan,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing these noises on your 07. That's not a fun noise to hear especially on a Vette! Do you plan on visiting your dealership to have this concern diagnosed? They would be the best people to determine what could and could not be covered, based on the diagnoses. We would be happy to set up an appointment for you if you'd like! Let us know!

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hi Jeff

Right now i am working the kinks out. Yes i will bring it back to have it checked out. I bought a used car and must expect bumps. At least l have Hendricks in my corner.

Alan
Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Going to have everything changed including brake fluid. The only thing i will not touch is the A6
Keep the receipts so you can show proof of fluid changes as part of the mandatory scheduled services to not void the warrenty.

The warranty only states that such needs to be done at such time per the service manual schedule to note void the warranty, but it does not have to be done by a dealer; hence you can change them yourself.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Hi Jeff

Right now i am working the kinks out. Yes i will bring it back to have it checked out. I bought a used car and must expect bumps. At least l have Hendricks in my corner.

Alan
Hey Alan,

We're glad you have faith in your dealership and will be taking it in. Keep us updated on what you decide to do and what the diagnosis is at the dealer!

Thanks,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Hey Alan,

We're glad you have faith in your dealership and will be taking it in. Keep us updated on what you decide to do and what the diagnosis is at the dealer!

Thanks,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Bringing it in this coming Monday.

Alan
Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Bringing it in this coming Monday.

Alan
Alan,

Sounds like a plan! We're here if you need our assistance!

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Alan,

Sounds like a plan! We're here if you need our assistance!

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks l appreciate it

Alan
Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Default Back home!

Hi

Just got home, it took almost 3 hrs. They opened it up first to make sure all is well then changed the fluid and it is now quiet for the time being.

Thanks

Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Differential chatter ????

Quick Reply: Differential chatter ????