C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:17 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Your engine builder is absolutely correct. That cooler can't be properly cleaned to a point where everyone is confident that it's clean enough after a failure that creates metal floating around. So now it falls back on GM as the dealer did what GM recommends. I would ask for the information that states what GM recommends. If the dealer did that verbatim, its actually on GM. But you won't get anywhere chasing that monkey. I believe, cleaning the sump requires removing it and actually disassembling it. If it wasn't disassembled, its on the dealer.
came across your thread today, and from the pictures in post 19 it looked like bearing failure to me. But then reading about the previous engine failure, now I'd have to agree with incomplete wash of the oil lines/system. I do a bit of work on the side (not my main job) and it reminds me of the situation when an automatic trans burns up - the friction material gets everywhere and the only way to ensure clean oil is to start with a new cooler and new lines. It is virtually impossible to clean all the particulates out of a heat exchanger. It seems the situation is similar here. Next time, use new components or as suggested above, have everything disassembled and visually verified. good luck!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 PM
zo6style
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Hotrodz
Looking at the photo of the metal fragments, it looks like like copper or bronze. with that said, like someone else said could be valve guide material or.... if they are tri-metal engine bearings then you may have burned out the engine bearings, I mean like completely gone. The copper on the bearing is down about two layers just before you get to the steel. I would be suspect of the oil pump/pumps especially the scavenger pump which sends the oil from the sump to the holding tank. Also, if the filter got clogged and was running thru the bypass of the filter ( sending unfiltered oil thru the engine ) this would wipe out the bearings too. But you said you lost oil pressure so not a likely cause just a contributer to the failure.

When you did check the oil was it real foamy? Maybe you are sucking air thru the sump pick-up.
No foam..Oil pressure did increase with higher RPM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:13 PM
zo6style
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve J06
came across your thread today, and from the pictures in post 19 it looked like bearing failure to me. But then reading about the previous engine failure, now I'd have to agree with incomplete wash of the oil lines/system. I do a bit of work on the side (not my main job) and it reminds me of the situation when an automatic trans burns up - the friction material gets everywhere and the only way to ensure clean oil is to start with a new cooler and new lines. It is virtually impossible to clean all the particulates out of a heat exchanger. It seems the situation is similar here. Next time, use new components or as suggested above, have everything disassembled and visually verified. good luck!
In fact, I found a GM service document which states that upon replacing a LS7 or LS9 YOU MUST REPLACE 1- OIL COOLER, BOTH OIL COOLER LINES 3 - OIL TANK LINES....Why do you think they state "Must Replace"?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6style

In fact, I found a GM service document which states that upon replacing a LS7 or LS9 YOU MUST REPLACE 1- OIL COOLER, BOTH OIL COOLER LINES 3 - OIL TANK LINES....Why do you think they state "Must Replace"?
So did you confront the dealer with the new found GM service document and does he now take ownership of the problem -- or what's his current excuse? Seems that you're in a better negotiating position now.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:22 PM
zo6style
Instructor

Originally Posted by hdrider1
So did you confront the dealer with the new found GM service document and does he now take ownership of the problem -- or what's his current excuse? Seems that you're in a better negotiating position now.
I'm having another shop remove the motor and inspect. Should there be no broken parts...than engine was introduced to old debris OR if there are broken\damaged parts than current engine produced debris. From there we will advise those who are responsible for our loss.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:59 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 256 Posts

Any update - curious to know the findings.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:43 PM
zo6style
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pete@ChampionMotors
What is all that debris in there?
Main Bearings!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 PM
zo6style
Instructor

Update:
The DEALER who replaced the motor did not follow GM instruction by neglecting to replace the Oil Cooler and Oil Lines (4). Hence, the new motor was cross contaminated with debris from previous engine failure. The debris traveling through the lower oil passage and Main Bearings simply g damaged the surface of the bearings and increased the main gab.
A travesty by a GM Dealer oversight!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

So GM will replace the motor and oil cooler and lines? GM sucks, why couldn't they replace the oil components the first time. At least you found the problem. GM would never own up to that mistake unless you shoved it under their noses. What a PITA. I wouldn't let their techs drill an a**hole in a hobby horse! I guess you can tell I have all the confidence in the world when it comes to GM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:34 AM
zo6style
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Hotrodz
So GM will replace the motor and oil cooler and lines? GM sucks, why couldn't they replace the oil components the first time. At least you found the problem. GM would never own up to that mistake unless you shoved it under their noses. What a PITA. I wouldn't let their techs drill an a**hole in a hobby horse! I guess you can tell I have all the confidence in the world when it comes to GM.
The local GM Dealer would not take responsibility for it...more so, they assured me that they followed GM procedures and guidelines. Nevertheless, through much time in research and discussion with GM Performance and GM PACE (Warranty Division) I was able to learn and obtain documents stating the failure to follow GM guidelines. Next I had to hire an Attorney and provide the GM Dealer with a notice.

BEST ADVICE: NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO A DEALER UNLESS ITS UNDER WARRANTY!

Find a local Corvette shop with experience (a Corvette Racing \Motorsport Shop) and understanding the car's engineering.

Note: I dont like generalizing ...but I'm garnishing such notion.

Last edited by zo6style; 02-03-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've not read all three pages but over 5 mos. to get this resolved! BTW, how did you determine that they didn't completely follow procedure by not replacing oil cooler and oil lines? Was it omitted from the list of new parts on the eventual bill you got?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
zo6style
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
I've not read all three pages but over 5 mos. to get this resolved! BTW, how did you determine that they didn't completely follow procedure by not replacing oil cooler and oil lines? Was it omitted from the list of new parts on the eventual bill you got?
Yes, it took way too long. With respect to your question
1 -Q:"BTW, how did you determine that they didn't completely follow procedure by not replacing oil cooler and oil lines? " - A: When we trailered the car to the tunner and unloaded it...the Tech said "Why didn't they install a new oil cooler and oil lines?"
2 - Q: "Was it omitted from the list of new parts on the eventual bill you got?" - A: Invoice never stated that items were replaced and upon a conversation with Dealer we were told that the cleaning process which was applied in the R&R process is as recommended by GM.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Issue