C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any monster clutch problems ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:17 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Default Any monster clutch problems ???

I have 2000 miles on a recent clutch I installed myself. The clutch manufacturer is highly rated and am searching for other mechanical issues that some one may have experienced to help and diagnose why I have so much shutter/chatter on take off. Initially it was ok, as I got closer to the first 500 miles, I could detect chatter and it has gotton worse.. I cannot blame the clutch , very high quality and reputation. I feel there is maybe something I am missing and what should I look for before , during and after removal which I will be doing soon . I replaced everything including the flywheel, slave and pilot bearing.

Last edited by BJ67; 09-11-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Medic!
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange. I just pulled my Monster Clutch. Horrible shutter when first installed. After 200 miles it was getting worse. I had to pull it and see what was going on.

After taking some pictures I mailed the flywheel, pressure plate and disc back to them.

I saw some things that don't look right to me. But I will let the experts at monster clutch tell me what they find.

I will tell you. They are fast to get back to you when you have a question or problem.
Steve takes his clutches very seriously.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Medic!
Strange. I just pulled my Monster Clutch. Horrible shutter when first installed. After 200 miles it was getting worse. I had to pull it and see what was going on.

After taking some pictures I mailed the flywheel, pressure plate and disc back to them.

I saw some things that don't look right to me. But I will let the experts at monster clutch tell me what they find.

I will tell you. They are fast to get back to you when you have a question or problem.
Steve takes his clutches very seriously.
Thank you Medic
Can you give me some details on what exactly you installed and what corvette. What did you see that didn't look right to you, I am going to eventually disassemble my car myself and that info is important. I used the level 2- 12 inch with the heavy flywheel on my 08 z06
Old 09-12-2014, 06:40 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BJ67
Thank you Medic
Can you give me some details on what exactly you installed and what corvette. What did you see that didn't look right to you, I am going to eventually disassemble my car myself and that info is important. I used the level 2- 12 inch with the heavy flywheel on my 08 z06
And yes , Steve at monster clutch is very quick on responding and with advice to try and find out what the issue is.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:33 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Monster is a great clutch company that produces high quality product.

We recommend, sell and install monster clutch's

Fyi, most of the time initial chatter is caused by improper installation. A single disc (stock type clutch) should have zero chatter if properly installed, Ours have Zero chatter.
Twins and pucks might differ but still should be very minimal if built and installed properly. Technique is key.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Monster is a great clutch company that produces high quality product.

We recommend, sell and install monster clutch's

Fyi, most of the time initial chatter is caused by improper installation. A single disc (stock type clutch) should have zero chatter if properly installed, Ours have Zero chatter.
Twins and pucks might differ but still should be very minimal if built and installed properly. Technique is key.
had no initial chatter/shutter, got worse with mileage. This is a single disc unit.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Medic!
Cruising

My clutch was a Stage 1 monster with heavy flywheel. In a 2000 C5. So probably a totally different clutch.

I don't want to go into detail on what I think was wrong. I want to let Steve tell me what is going on.

I would think it best to pull your clutch and ship it back to Monster. I know it's a bit of a pain, but could save time and frustration on both sides in the end.

But of course, go with what Steve at Monster suggests. He is the one to figure out what is necessary.

Really pulling the clutch again after just doing the work a week earlier made the job much easier. I had it out in three hours. And that includes pulling the torque tube and inspecting the rubber couplers and bearings. Good training.

I will let you know what they find. Please let me know what the cause of your issues turn out to be.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:04 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

My clutch was a Stage 1 monster with heavy flywheel. In a 2000 C5. So probably a totally different clutch.

I don't want to go into detail on what I think was wrong. I want to let Steve tell me what is going on.

I would think it best to pull your clutch and ship it back to Monster. I know it's a bit of a pain, but could save time and frustration on both sides in the end.

But of course, go with what Steve at Monster suggests. He is the one to figure out what is necessary.

Really pulling the clutch again after just doing the work a week earlier made the job much easier. I had it out in three hours. And that includes pulling the torque tube and inspecting the rubber couplers and bearings. Good training.

I will let you know what they find. Please let me know what the cause of your issues turn out to be.
The C6Z has a one piece bellhousing, makes it a very labor intensive job. Very impressed in getting it out in 3hrs. You must have done this on a lift. I appreciate your info going forward, I will do the same.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Medic!
Cruising

I did not know about the bell housing needing to come out in the C6 Z06. That would be tuff. It's pretty tight up in there.

As you can see. Mine is a snap, being able to just remove the observation plate. And unbolt the torque converter. [ Sorry. I mean torque tube].

You do end up taking off all kinds of peripheral stuff. But it's all easy to access. I feel the GM engineers did me solid, with there design.

And I wish I had a lift!

Last edited by Medic!; 09-16-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

I did not know about the bell housing needing to come out in the C6 Z06. That would be tuff. It's pretty tight up in there.

As you can see. Mine is a snap, being able to just remove the observation plate. And unbolt the torque converter. [ Sorry. I mean torque tube].

You do end up taking off all kinds of peripheral stuff. But it's all easy to access. I feel the GM engineers did me solid, with there design.

And I wish I had a lift!
Can you now tell me the outcome of your clutch issue, I haven't removed mine yet
Old 01-26-2015, 09:28 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

And I wish I had a lift!
What was your final outcome with monster clutch? you never got back to me. PM me if you want

Get notified of new replies

To Any monster clutch problems ???

Quick Reply: Any monster clutch problems ???