C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EL-50448 TPMS Tool Work on a 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:36 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default EL-50448 TPMS Tool Work on a 2005?

I have one I bought a long time ago but it doesn't seem to be exciting the TPMS sensors.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:37 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Well for $20 I couldn't pass up buying this much fancier TPMS tool. We'll see if it has better luck. At least it has a readout to tell me whether or not it's finding the sensors.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...toring+Systems

One thing I may have been doing wrong was to keep the fob with me when I went out to program the sensors. One thread said to leave it in the car. I'll try that tonight.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:08 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I tend to have issues with the battery in the tool going dead and causing issues.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The location of the fob should not have anything to do with it. Did you get the single horn honk before programming the left front wheel that shows that the car is in the program mode?

That Tirerack tool works great on my '07 Vert.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:34 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by cclive
The location of the fob should not have anything to do with it. Did you get the single horn honk before programming the left front wheel that shows that the car is in the program mode?

That Tirerack tool works great on my '07 Vert.

Yea, single honk to indicate programming mode enabled. The battery in the tool was new. Batteries in the wheels are probably questionable.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:44 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Well this new unit is very nice! Well worth the money. But it's not picking up any of my sensors either....
Old 09-18-2014, 06:02 PM
orgo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the $20 cub tpms tool a month ago. It would only program the first and last sensor, but I figured out my technique was poor. Get the car into the program mode (lock, unlock, hold both until horn honks (I think I don't have the manual in front of me)), and the most important part is to have the tool laying flat on the sidewall of the tire next to the sensor and wait for the horn to honk. I think if it isn't that close the other sensors will interfere with the tool. Once I did that I can reprogram all the sensors in about one minute.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

OK, I just tried that. Parking brake on, accessory mode on. Get out, hit both buttons and get a honk. Then I start scanning, put the tool flat on the sidewall, all around the sensor, nothing. The CUB tool times out. I tried all four tires and it doesn't pick up any of them.

Frustrated...

Does the car have to had been recently driven?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 PM
orgo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might be a good idea to make sure the sensors aren't in sleep mode. The cub works for me when I swap my street tires and track tires on the weekends without them being recently driven. The only other thing would be to make sure the tool isn't over the rim at all and only on the side wall. Also, make sure the tool is in scan mode and not program mode. If you can't get a single sensor to read it might be the TPMS sensors. Did they all work before you tried reseting it?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Updating this: I have six sensors in all and two of them are out of the wheels currently. Those are the only ones that the Cub will scan. None of the other sensors that are mounted in chrome OEWheels replicas will read although they report to the car just fine. Not sure what else to do.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

It amazes me that Honda can put a system on the car that doesn't require you to go through all this BS and my Corvette cost 15K more than my Acura. My Ram truck also doesn't require this BS. When will GM learn......
Old 03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

2005 is a snap.

Put the Cub 101 on the charger for a few hours until the charge light goes out.

Now don't put the car into relearn mode yet,

Just set the tool to corvette 2005 to 2009 in scan mode, hold the front of the tool tight to the tire side wall just above the valve stem on the rim, and hit center scan button and hold it there until the tool beeps.

You should be getting back a reading as such to let you know that the tool triggered and scanned the TPMS correctly. Do this for all the other 3 tires and again, you should be getting back a reading on the tool for the other tires as well, with just the serial numbers different for each TPMS.

If you don't get a reading from one of the TPMS's, then put the tool into GM, HHR 2009 mode instead and try again. If you are getting readings off the TPMS in the HHR mode, then the TPMS are not for you car model, but for the 2010 to 213 corvettes instead.
Note, the cub pro 101 does not have a 2010 to 2013 setting, but since the 2009 HHR uses the same TPMS as the later vets, you use the HHR setting for the 2010 to 2013 year vet.

If you don't get a reading off the TPMS's in either tool settings, then the batteries in the TPMS are worn out (or you have export TPMS's), and you will need new TPMS's (get the oem TPMS since they last a lot longer than the after market ones that the batteries go dead in a few years instead).

And again, three different TPMS's for the C6 corvettes, so make sure that you are getting the right ones for your car year, if it is a USA car, or a export model car instead.

As for relearning the car to the TPMS, PARK THE CAR IN THE DRIVEWAY/OPEN AREA, AND NOT IN A TIGHT GARAGE . Get out of the car and close the door. Wait for about 30 second, open the door, put the fob next to the cup holder, put the car in ACC mode, then hit both the lock and unlock release at the same time on the fob until the car horn honks one. Drop the fob into the cup holder, leave the door open, and trigger each tire TPMS one at a time with the tool, starting with the front drivers tire until the horn honks once, and move clockwise around the car triggering each TPMS as the car honks each time again and when you trigger the last tpms in the Drivers rear tire, the horn should honk twice to let you know that your done.

If the tool scans the TPMS in the correct mode, the car will go into learn mode, but the car will not learn the TPMS in relearn mode as pointed out above, then you need to take the car to the dealer to have them use a Tech II to trouble shoot the RCDLR.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Tpms

I don't know if this will help or makes a difference but the very early 2005's came with different sensors, smaller black ones and later came with the larger gray ones #220. You can look in your glove box to find if you have the later ones. If you see a UJ9 in there you have the later ones.
Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2015, 08:24 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
I don't know if this will help or makes a difference but the very early 2005's came with different sensors, smaller black ones and later came with the larger gray ones #220. You can look in your glove box to find if you have the later ones. If you see a UJ9 in there you have the later ones.
Good info! Did you find out the hard way?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Good info! Did you find out the hard way?
Thankfully, I did not, research, research. Here is a video on the sensors.

Last edited by dentalfloss; 03-06-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:19 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

The ones out of the wheels (which are grey) are the ones still paired with the car and they respond to the CUB in the 2005-2009 Corvette scan mode. The tool just doesn't want to see the sensors in the wheels, two of which (fronts) are paired wit the car and the other two are aftermarkets I picked up and are in my current rears. I've put the tool all around, pointing at the stem, inside the wheel under the sensor, on the sidewall, on top of the tire. The four that are paired with the car are definitely a little long in the tooth but still report to the car so I don't see why the CUB wouldn't be able to read them.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

You just said the nasty word, being "Aftermarket" TPMS.
Not only do most of the aftermarket units drain their batteries down very quickly (few years life span max), but they can have all kind of programing problems a well (holding a clone, as well as some of there trigger frequencies not no the same as OEM trigger frequencies).

Point blank, will dare to guess that the aftermarket TPMS will need to be re-cloned if the batteries in them are still good and/or they do not trigger via the same frequency as the OEM TPMS.

Do yourself a favor, and just pick up 4 all new OEM sensors to install in the rims instead. The New OEM sensors will be good for 6 to 10 years, and something that you don't have to worry about having a problems with for a long/long time.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor with Valve Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor with Valve Kit: Automotive

Last edited by Dano523; 03-06-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:34 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Well I gave up. The two sensors that are out of the wheels, which are still paired as the rear sensors are now in this canister I made and placed in the rear compartment. This is really the best solution for my rear sensors anyhow as if I got the ones in the wheels to pair they would bark at me all the time about low pressure since I run the drag radials at 18#.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 03-10-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:13 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

OK, well one of the front sensors died so I had no choice but to do something about it. To recap I had the original sensors in the front wheels and in the canister. Then I had aftermarket ones in the rears not paired with the car (since I couldn't get anything to read).

I took it to NTB and asked them to take the sensors out of the rear wheels and put them in the front along with new tires because one front sensor was dead and the other very old. The rear wheels don't need sensors as they are using the ones in the canister. They were able to determine that not only was one of my fronts bad but the two aftermarket ones non-functional. They replaced both fronts with Redi-Sensor 7001-HP sensors. When I got home I was able to pair them with the car along with the original rears in the canister using the cub. I think it read one sensor twice (because of their close proximity in the canister), the S/N looked the same but I didn't write it down or anything so I'm not sure, but the car didn't care. It honked after each and twice after it potentially read the same sensor in the canister twice and they all displayed on the DIC. So I can't say I know what the problem(s) were aside from the borked aftermarket sensors. Perhaps nearly dead batteries in the front OEM sensors keeping them from scanning inside the wheel. These REDI-Sensors show up as Corvette on the cub.

I really don't know what can be gleamed from this, but its over.

Get notified of new replies

To EL-50448 TPMS Tool Work on a 2005?

Quick Reply: EL-50448 TPMS Tool Work on a 2005?