C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after shock change

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:54 PM
sandonov
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after shock change

Hi,

Yesterday I have received a set of front and rear shocks Bilstein Z51 for my Corvette C6 -2005.

Today I have install all 4 front and rear shocks ( it was not done by me personally, it was done in the service), but after the installation of the shocks we see on the dashboard 3 messages: 1 "service ride control" , 2 - "shocks inoperative" 3 - "Maximum speed 138 km/h". I can send you pictures

I assume that this is because the shocks do not have place that we can plug in the sensor and because of that the car computer is not indicating that the car have shocks.

The other problem is that the car can not go with more than 138 km/h
Can you please help me out with advice?

My e-mail is : sandonov@abv.bg

I will realy appreciate your answer and help.
Thank you in advance!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sandonov
Hi,

Yesterday I have received a set of front and rear shocks Bilstein Z51 for my Corvette C6 -2005.

Today I have install all 4 front and rear shocks ( it was not done by me personally, it was done in the service), but after the installation of the shocks we see on the dashboard 3 messages: 1 "service ride control" , 2 - "shocks inoperative" 3 - "Maximum speed 138 km/h". I can send you pictures

I assume that this is because the shocks do not have place that we can plug in the sensor and because of that the car computer is not indicating that the car have shocks.

The other problem is that the car can not go with more than 138 km/h
Can you please help me out with advice?

My e-mail is : sandonov@abv.bg

I will realy appreciate your answer and help.
Thank you in advance!
Your assumption regarding the cause of the problem is correct. I believe the only way to fix it is to either re-install the F55 shocks or have your Body Control Module (BCM) reprogrammed.

Unfortunately, this is one of the drawbacks of the F55 system. There really is no easy way to use anything other than the stock F55 shocks without experiencing the problems you've described. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:44 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I assume that your car has the magnetic selective ride option - correct ? The computer is trying to find the shocks and can't make the adjustments it wants to. It thinks that there is a major problem and is limiting the cars speed to compensate. You either need to get a correct set of shocks which are very expensive or get the bypass sims that plug into the wiring. Do a search in the Tech section for other threads on this topic. Other people have had the same problem and it can be fixed.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Google "f55 shock simulator"
Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

$175 and it will be fixed!

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/c5-c6...imulators.html
Old 09-12-2014, 07:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Install the simulators and all will be fine.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:18 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Turn the F55 option off in the car via a tech II

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-success.html
Old 09-13-2014, 09:37 AM
sandonov
Cruising

Thank's to everyone.
Because I do not have a Tsch 2, I will have to order the simulators.
Now I the difficult part will be to find a company that can deliver them to Europe and the probably it will be more difficult to wait for the delivery

Thank you all.

Last edited by sandonov; 09-13-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

A Cadillac/Corvette dealer in europe will have a TECH II tool...maybe something to try.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:22 PM
sandonov
Cruising

Yes, I will call the dealer. This will be the first thing to do...Monday morning.
Originally Posted by cclive
A Cadillac/Corvette dealer in europe will have a TECH II tool...maybe something to try.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Might want to check a few local repair shops, since they may have a Tech II and might be cheaper than what the dealer is going to charge to deactivate the F55.

Dealers can be real finicky when it comes to the Tech II tool (some magic tool than no techs should touch, dare see), and some of them are not too keen to follow printed directions as well (read print out the procedure to deactivate the F55, and take it with you, since without the directions on how to do it, they are going to tell you that is can not be done).

I have finally deleted my F55 MagRideSelect after changing to Bilstiens. The Tech 2 procedure for the F45 delete will not work for RPO F55 suspension. For F45 delete you just remove the module in the driver side rear and follow the Tech 2 procedure.
After more than a few phone calls, and some points in the right direction ( thanks DirtyHowie ) I got it to work for me. Andy at A&A Corvette was super. He gave me some great tips which ultimately lead to my success.
Here is the procedure I used.
1. Hook up Tech 2, turn car ON, make sure module in the rear is PLUGGED IN. Do Not unplug the rear module.
2. use Tech 2 to delete the F45 option ( F55 did not appear on the menu screen on the Tech 2, use F45)
3. Save new configuration.
4. Do not turn car off, do not remove Tech 2, go to the module in the rear of the car, unplug the grey connector( the widest one) leave the center plug in and the smaller black plug in.
5. Turn off car leave Tech 2 plugged in.
6. Remove remaining plugs from module in the rear of car.
7. turn car on to verify the " Max speed 80 mph" is gone.
8. unplug Tech 2 and put tools away.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:46 AM
sandonov
Cruising

Just came back from Cadillac/Corvette dialer.
They refuse do deactivate F55.
According to them it is against their rules.
The other option that I have is to wait for a gay that have a garage for US cars (hi is in US). I believe that he will be able to fix it.
And option 3: to order from US site the sensors, but this is 200 USD for the sensors, 100 USD for shipping and another 100 USD for custom taxes .
And still will be cheaper than chocks from GM, here the price for two front shocks is - 6 000 USD and the rear are 5 000.
Originally Posted by Dano523
Might want to check a few local repair shops, since they may have a Tech II and might be cheaper than what the dealer is going to charge to deactivate the F55.

Dealers can be real finicky when it comes to the Tech II tool (some magic tool than no techs should touch, dare see), and some of them are not too keen to follow printed directions as well (read print out the procedure to deactivate the F55, and take it with you, since without the directions on how to do it, they are going to tell you that is can not be done).
Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

You might try Googling the shock system and what a simulator actually consists of. The skip-shift eliminator is nothing but a ten cent resistor inside a plug. It might be that the shock simulators are also just resistors or something very simple. Worth a try...

Wow $5,000...sheesh...at some point, it becomes less expensive to fly to the USA and pick them up and then take them home with you.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:02 AM
sandonov
Cruising

Default Thank you all

back on track:

Thank you all!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Problem after shock change

Quick Reply: Problem after shock change