C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6 Fuel Crossover Tube Installation Trick

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Duck7779311
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette C6 Fuel Crossover Tube Installation Trick

After fighting this thing for a few days I finally think Ive cracked the De Vinci Code. I didnt see much of a post that described the actual key to getting the crossover tube back into position so I hope this helps someone instead of learning by trail and error such as myself. This instruction pertains to a manual transmission C6, I have heard the automatic has less room to pull this operation off.

Problem: If you have a faulty fuel level sending unit or bad fuel pump you will have to drop the tanks. Please dont worry about it, this job only requires patience, dont pay the dealer that 10.5 hours of labor to install a $99 part, YOU CAN do it yourself! Also, if you have removed and reinstalled your crossover tube and now you have "no fuel pressure". 9 times outta 10, incorrect installation of the crossover tube is your problem and its creating a huge leak in your fuel pressure system and you do not need a new fuel pump!

There are lots of good write ups on this site about the steps to remove the tanks straps, evac tubes, and necessary wiring harnesses.
Here is a good video in fact:
[www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nvOlj9ZFg]
This write up will only focus on getting the crossover tube in and out successfully.

Step 1
Before you get started under the car take the time to use a tile sanding stone or sanding block to smooth the rough edges of your transmission housing, a few minutes doing this will prevent your forearms from being a stinging bloody mess at the end!

Step 2
Whether or not you are pulling the driver or passenger tank to access the pump or the fuel sending sensor, it is easiest to remove the whole crossover tube rather than just one side. This is the key to getting it back into place accurately.

Reason being, the passenger side has very little room to access the crossover tube connection. During re-installation it is so much easier to simply install the passenger side first while letting the driver side portion of the tube hang over freely on the other side thus giving you ample slack.

It is also highly advisable to completely remove the crossover tube in order to inspect its condition. Upon removal I found that the two lines inside of my crossover tube were not aligned in the proper position due to the plastic collar inside the tube designed to hold the two smaller tubes had broken. It would have been impossible to make a proper re-installation due to this no matter how many times I tried.

I fixed this problem by removing the plastic collar by gently coaxing it out with a small screwdriver and applying some permatex plastic weld to hold the unit together. Its important to mark the outside of the collar with reference marks prior to removing it, this ensures the tubes inside are going to line up with the fuel tanks!

***It is key that during re-installation that you actually hold the gas tank up into its proper position***, this also makes sense because it provides the proper alignment as it is the natural final resting position of the tube. ***Letting the tank sag down during re-installing is surely to lead to a mis-alignment as I have discovered!***

Step 3
Once you get the passenger side crossover tube on ( you will know its on properly because you will feel it engage into the two small tubes) Just twist it slightly left and right until you feel it start to go in (remember the larger of the two inner hoses is oriented at the bottom). At this point you want to gently wiggle it while applying pressure, I promise eventually it will go in, it just takes some patience just like getting the crossover tube to separate. This step is easier if you apply some silicone spray although I used a thick engine assembly lube.

Step 4
After getting the passenger side engaged you can easily get the driver side crossover tube connected, you will notice the advantage of having extra room on the driver side to make the connection. Pull back on the tube as much as possible to compress it while pushing it up and into the correct position. Now there is not much chance to twist the tube left or right as it is locked in to the other side and it being a very rigid structure. However, when the tube is in the correct position you will feel the two smaller inner tubes engage with the fuel tank. Again gently wiggle it in while applying pressure and it will eventually seat I promise.

I hope this really helps save someone some money I was quoted almost $3k in labor not to include parts to have the dealer do this job that is fairly simple besides the tight access due to poor engineering and the requirement for lots of patience.!!!

CPT Duck
Army, Retired

Last edited by Duck7779311; 09-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
D&C vette (08-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 Fuel Crossover Tube Installation Trick