C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6R replica

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
evantugby
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette C6R replica

Gents,
I have 06 z06 that I'm slowly transitioning into a C6R replica, at least appearance only. Looking for a place that I can get the same appearance for my headlights that look just like the C6R headlights.

Pic#1: My z06
Pic#2: my current headlamp
Pic#3: what I want my headlamp to look like.

Please note in pic #3 how the black border follows the lexan outer-edge light cover. This is the piece I am looking for to sit flush-mount with my fiberglass body lamp housing. I don't need the black bezel, just the lexan light cover that looks like pic#3.

Any help?

Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Put on a new lens and paint the inside of the lens black to simulate the removable cover of the race car.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 PM
evantugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timd38
Put on a new lens and paint the inside of the lens black to simulate the removable cover of the race car.
Where do I get a new lens that fits snug directly to the fiberglass body? I've been told I could paint the inside cover of my current lens but I still need it to fit snug directly to my fiberglass.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:32 PM
evantugby
Intermediate

Good luck!
I thought for sure someone on here would know where I can get these polycarbonate lens covers that look just like the C6R.

Hmm...
Old 09-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

You can buy a flat piece of yellow lens and make those for less than $25.00.

If you look closely (at the C6.R) the lenses are screwed on covers. You can see the screws evenly spaced around the edges.

Make a template of the clear lens that's on your car, lay it flat on your yellow lens material, then cut your pattern..........lay it on top of your clear lens and screw it down........nice, even and flat!

If you're a perfectionist, like me, it will be perfect. It's not rocket science.

BTW! I'm doing the same to my car.............converting it to a C6.R replica. Where did you get those decals from?

Last edited by Speedforhire; 09-17-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:44 PM
evantugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
You can buy a flat piece of yellow lens and make those for less than $25.00.

If you look closely (at the C6.R) the lenses are screwed on covers. You can see the screws evenly spaced around the edges.

Make a template of the clear lens that's on your car, lay it flat on your yellow lens material, then cut your pattern..........lay it on top of your clear lens and screw it down........nice, even and flat!

If you're a perfectionist, like me, it will be perfect. It's not rocket science.

BTW! I'm doing the same to my car.............converting it to a C6.R replica. Where did you get those decals from?
I bought a 1:18 scale C6.r. model off ebay for $200 bucks. I brought that model into a local decal shop and they replicated everything for me for about $1800.00

As for making my own lens, the C6.R lens is curved. I would need polycarbonate lens that is curved to the right curvature. I also want them slightly larger than the stock lens because the C6R lens fits snug against the fiberglass body. I don't think your idea can be easily done without considerable training in working with lexan, plastics, or polycarbonate.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Yes; I know they're curved. Come 'on man!

You can buy the material practically paper thin and it will mold perfectly to the oem lens. Enlarge the pic and you will see how the team made the cover fit with screws. It happens to be a clever idea because it's cheaper to replace the cover than an entire molded lens. That's how race teams do it bro.

.............you could also have a tint shop shrink yellow film on the outside! :-)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM
evantugby
Intermediate

Yes; I know they're curved. Come 'on man!

You can buy the material practically paper thin and it will mold perfectly to the oem lens. Enlarge the pic and you will see how the team made the cover fit with screws. It happens to be a clever idea because it's cheaper to replace the cover than an entire molded lens. That's how race teams do it bro.

.............you could also have a tint shop shrink yellow film on the outside! :-)
Speedforhire,
Now you're beginning to making sense. Telling me to buy flat plastic in your first post doesn't really explain to much, instructor...

Tell me more, ie what type of material, where I can find it, how to curve the plastic (this isn't flimsy material your elementary stencil is made out of), how to secure it to my figerglass body etc...

Last edited by evantugby; 09-17-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

...........secure it to the fiberglass body? Now I'm confused! I thought you just wanted to have yellow lenses. What are you trying to do? Remove the lights and cover the holes?

Here's one vender for you:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet

.125 is the thinnest I found:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Col...80-125CCM24X48

...........or you could try your local hobby shop or search flee-bay!

However, I feel your cheapest route would be tint.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 09-18-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 AM
evantugby
Intermediate

...........secure it to the fiberglass body? Now I'm confused! I thought you just wanted to have yellow lenses. What are you trying to do? Remove the lights and cover the holes?

Here's one vender for you:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet

.125 is the thinnest I found:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Col...80-125CCM24X48

...........or you could try your local hobby shop or search flee-bay!

However, I feel your cheapest route would be tint.
Look at the third picture I sent above. The polycarbonate lens covers have a black 1" border around it. There are rivot holes (or something) attaching it to the fiberglass body leaving no space between the headlamp housing and the fiberglass body. The stock lights do have a small gap between the headlamp housing and the fiberglass body. I want to eliminate this gap.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

My original suggestion would be the best for what you are attempting to do.

However, the C6.R is designed for those type of lights. Our street cars are NOT the same. Notice the two bulbs? I don't see how you can cover the gap on a street car without having a slightly mess. Covering the lens is easy, I'm not sure about the gap.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'll post up when I have mine done.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:44 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

$1,800 in decals! You could get headers and cam for that!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Remove the lens, paint the covers black and then use a yellow tinting film or yellow tinting spray

Film on amazon:
Amazon.com: Metro Dark Yellow Vinyl Fog Light Lens Tint Film 24"x12": Automotive Amazon.com: Metro Dark Yellow Vinyl Fog Light Lens Tint Film 24"x12": Automotive

Spray on amazon:
Krylon 9024 Stained Glass Color Glass Paints Aerosol, 6-Ounce, Yellow Finish - Spray Paints - Amazon.com Krylon 9024 Stained Glass Color Glass Paints Aerosol, 6-Ounce, Yellow Finish - Spray Paints - Amazon.com

EDIT:

With the smoked lenses youre going to need something to remove the black tint. or you can pm rl sebring for a new set of lenses...

also if you want to push the c6r look further, Glover design makes the fender vents, and Halltech makes a single vent hood

Good luck!

Last edited by el es tu; 09-19-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

I don't have a problem with $1,800. If he had spent that money on custom paint or a few carbon fiber trim parts no one would give it a second thought. I think it is actually a creative solution to the problem.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fog lights are the same way. your not gonna get rid of the gap. take a strip of black vinyl and do the border and then tint over the whole light. But if you getting that picky you need to fiberglass over you side markers and put stickers in their place.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:46 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just call Pratt Miller and tell them you want to buy a pair of lenses.

I know they have spare because I know a guy that vintage races one of the real C6R's and when he wrecked it he had no issue getting parts.

Also I agree with the creativity used to get the decals, that was a slick idea!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6R replica

Old 09-23-2014, 01:09 AM
evantugby
Intermediate

It has headers and a cam. I'm pushing over 540 horses.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:12 AM
evantugby
Intermediate

Just call Pratt Miller and tell them you want to buy a pair of lenses.

I know they have spare because I know a guy that vintage races one of the real C6R's and when he wrecked it he had no issue getting parts.

Also I agree with the creativity used to get the decals, that was a slick idea!
Any POC you can direct me to at Pratt and Miller? I've emailed them a request but never heard back from them.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:18 AM
evantugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by el es tu
Remove the lens, paint the covers black and then use a yellow tinting film or yellow tinting spray

Film on amazon:
Amazon.com: Metro Dark Yellow Vinyl Fog Light Lens Tint Film 24"x12": Automotive

Spray on amazon:
Krylon 9024 Stained Glass Color Glass Paints Aerosol, 6-Ounce, Yellow Finish - Spray Paints - Amazon.com

EDIT:

With the smoked lenses youre going to need something to remove the black tint. or you can pm rl sebring for a new set of lenses...

also if you want to push the c6r look further, Glover design makes the fender vents, and Halltech makes a single vent hood

Good luck!
I am actually looking for the fender vents and a hood. Great post with some excellent recommendations. Pic #1 is a true C6R that I modeled my headlights after. I decided it was much more cost effective to keep my lights yellow. Pic #2 is how mine turned out with some vinyl work at a local shop. Turned out pretty good I think for pennies on the dollar.

Quick Reply: Corvette C6R replica