C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Engine" "Service Traction System" Engine Surges With NO Power 427 Corvette

Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM
FantasyCorvette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service Engine" "Service Traction System" Engine Surges With NO Power 427 Corvette

So my beautiful 2013 60th Anniversary decided to **** me off today. I went for a ride this evening in my Vette. Once I reached my destination (my building) I filled up with gas next door and planned to go home (only a 25-30 minute ride round trip) and I pulled out onto the main road. Tried to accelerate (not hard) and it wouldn't. The engine began ticking really loud, the engine light began flashing and engine surging and absolutely NO throttle response at all. Messages began flashing (see title), I turned around and went back to my building. I put it inside and got a ride home. What can be the problem? My car is BONE stock nothing changed, nothing messed with, only 7200 miles. Not a hard driver why do I all of a sudden have this issue. :will y: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH HHH!!!

Ask any questions you want I will answer.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sometimes they do that if a temperature change got colder, also you can shut off and retry or disconnect battery, it should clear up. can be a few different reasons, bcm, mine use to do it with to many cold starts and not reaching 167 degrees in a certain time frame per cycles
Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 AM
Guinzu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

engine light flashing means misfire is happening. Check plug wires would be first on my list.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM
orgo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine surging usually means the engine is in limp mode. I never experienced it with my vette, but in another car I had a bad spark plug from detonation. Check plug wires first to see if one isn't all the way on, and then if all of them are tight check the plugs.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:49 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Check all of your spark plug boots and make sure one did not pop off the end of the spark plug...

I had the same exact issues when one of my wire boots came off one of my plugs...

Make sure to pull them off all the way and re-seat each one with a positive "Snap/click" Lock... After I learned what the problem is I found two others that where not fully snapped onto the spark plug end.

SPEED SAFE, Nick

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 09-19-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Check the wires to see if that fixes it. However, if it doesn't then call the 800 number and have GM send a tow truck to get the car. You still have a B2B warranty so let the dealer worry about fixing it.

Bill
Old 09-21-2014, 03:50 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

What happened... was it the wires of something else?

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Old 09-21-2014, 06:58 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Or it could be the sensors at the gas pedal, one of which could have gone bad. Not a very expensive part, but not always in stock. But I'd start w. the plug wires.

Get notified of new replies

To "Service Engine" "Service Traction System" Engine Surges With NO Power 427 Corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Service Engine" "Service Traction System" Engine Surges With NO Power 427 Corvette