C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any MSD 2step users? (8733)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:13 AM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any MSD 2step users? (8733)

For those who have used 2step on your stick cars, have you had luck with MSD 2step (part number 8733)? I have had n2mb 2step on my c5z and it was a pain in the ***, had to fine tune it and half the time I could have a better launch without it. I have a few friends in the new 5.0s who have consistent good launches with the msd unit. So for those who have it, how well does it function/perform at the track or the street?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:22 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by C 5
For those who have used 2step on your stick cars, have you had luck with MSD 2step (part number 8733)? I have had n2mb 2step on my c5z and it was a pain in the ***, had to fine tune it and half the time I could have a better launch without it. I have a few friends in the new 5.0s who have consistent good launches with the msd unit. So for those who have it, how well does it function/perform at the track or the street?
I know you asked specifically for stick cars but I run one on both my automatic race cars (LS7/A6 combination) and the thing is awesome.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I know you asked specifically for stick cars but I run one on both my automatic race cars (LS7/A6 combination) and the thing is awesome.
Does it work well enough for you to hook and hold traction? On my old c5z I had n2mb and it held the rpms at launch and after I release the clutch (after I hook) and continues to spin. I read the msd is a better unit.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:50 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by C 5
Does it work well enough for you to hook and hold traction? On my old c5z I had n2mb and it held the rpms at launch and after I release the clutch (after I hook) and continues to spin. I read the msd is a better unit.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking because being able to hook and hold traction will be dependent on your tires and/or track prep, not on the MSD box. The function of the MSD is only to hold the engine at certain RPM and then once the car launches (either by taking your foot off the brake or releasing the clutch in your case), it's no longer being activated.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:08 PM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I'm not quite sure what you're asking because being able to hook and hold traction will be dependent on your tires and/or track prep, not on the MSD box. The function of the MSD is only to hold the engine at certain RPM and then once the car launches (either by taking your foot off the brake or releasing the clutch in your case), it's no longer being activated.
Sorry I wasnt being clear. My problem with the old unit was it held the rpm at launch, but soon as I leave the line it goes back to wide open before the car catches traction. and at relatively low rpms. It didnt really control the rpms during the launch, only held it there, once I try to launch it goes back to 7,000 unless I half throttle it. Tires were 295/45/17 ET streets radials.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Yes the MSD unit works better and does not have the issues that you are/have experienced with your other 2 step.
The MSD is a nice unit that works very well. Recommended.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by C 5
Sorry I wasnt being clear. My problem with the old unit was it held the rpm at launch, but soon as I leave the line it goes back to wide open before the car catches traction. and at relatively low rpms. It didnt really control the rpms during the launch, only held it there, once I try to launch it goes back to 7,000 unless I half throttle it. Tires were 295/45/17 ET streets radials.
I think the way you're expecting it to work is like the launch control feature on the newer cars, where it'll modulate spark timing and/or throttle if it detects wheelspin but the MSD box is only designed to hold the RPM while you're staging the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Any MSD 2step users? (8733)

Quick Reply: Any MSD 2step users? (8733)