C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver and Passenger door release

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driver and Passenger door release

There is a manual release cable on the inside of the rear hatch located on the left side. The cable is connected to the manual release for the driver door. The passenger door has the same manual release located beside the seat but where in the hatch does the cable go?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by wuzfuzz
There is a manual release cable on the inside of the rear hatch located on the left side. The cable is connected to the manual release for the driver door. The passenger door has the same manual release located beside the seat but where in the hatch does the cable go?
Driver side manual release assembly should have the floor latch and the extra cable that runs back to the hatch area.

The passenger side assembly should have just the floor latch only, and not a second cable that runs back to the hatch area.

Sounds like you received the driver side assembly, and trying to install in on the passenger side.

http://www.corvetterecycling.com/product-p/15946774.htm

http://www.corvetterecycling.com/pro...15946780-c.htm
Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Default Door release.....

Originally Posted by Dano523
Driver side manual release assembly should have the floor latch and the extra cable that runs back to the hatch area.

The passenger side assembly should have just the floor latch only, and not a second cable that runs back to the hatch area.

Sounds like you received the driver side assembly, and trying to install in on the passenger side.

I had removed the carpets, seats and related stuff to install an insulation/heat reflector kit in my 2011 GS. There are two floor latch's..... one for driver side and one for passenger side. There was no need to disconnect the cable either at the floor latch or behind the carpet in the rear. I installed the insulation/reflector kit and did not give either latch a second thought until after I had reassembled the rear section and then the front section. The passenger side floor latch has a cable attached to it that goes into the rear area. Of course I had reassembled everything and the passenger side does not have the little pull tab on the cable to open the door remotely....... it protrudes through the carpet. I guess I will have to take the right side rear carpets and plastic quarter panel out to see where the cable goes and what is on its end. I checked on eBay for the passenger side floor latch and found several for sale. The photos given show an almost electrical box component on the end of the cable.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Default Door release......

Also........ 15946774 is actually showing what is attached to the right passenger side....... notice the end of the cable with the electrical looking component opposite to the latch end. The driver side only has a cable with a pull tab on the end that pokes out of the carpet ..... Right next to the emergency fuel door pull tab.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 PM
deadsexyii
Instructor

I have completely removed interior to install stereo and insulation. The only manual release cable that is routed to the rear of the vehicle is on drivers side. On the passenger side it's all electric, if memory serves. You should post some pics.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 AM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Default Door release......

Originally Posted by deadsexyii
I have completely removed interior to install stereo and insulation. The only manual release cable that is routed to the rear of the vehicle is on drivers side. On the passenger side it's all electric, if memory serves. You should post some pics.
So you are saying that the passenger side floor release latch is electric? Not wanting to tear the back end open again, how is it operated? The cable on the passenger side goes back with what appears to be an electrical component on the end of the cable...... what operates it?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

NO, the driver side will have a manual release cable that goes down to pull latch, as well as a cable that goes back to the back of the car with a plastic pull tab on the end of it.

On the passengers side, it's just a single manual cable that goes down to the pull latch on the floor.

If you have a second cable on the passenger side, then someone installed the wrong part (drivers side part on the passenger side), and just left the extra pull tab under the carpet in the back.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:55 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Default Door release..........

NO, the driver side will have a manual release cable that goes down to pull latch, as well as a cable that goes back to the back of the car with a plastic pull tab on the end of it.

On the passengers side, it's just a single manual cable that goes down to the pull latch on the floor.

If you have a second cable on the passenger side, then someone installed the wrong part (drivers side part on the passenger side), and just left the extra pull tab under the carpet in the back.
My 2011 GS has a driver side floor latch with a single cable that goes back to the pull tab in the rear hatch area. The passenger side has a floor latch (and it is definitely a right side version and not a misplaced left side as the mounts are different) and a cable goes to the rear hatch area. I guess I will pull the hatch apart and see exactly what is on the end of the right side cable.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Default Door latch.....

On my GS, the driver side floor latch has one cable...... it goes back to the left rear hatch area where the black plastic pull tab comes out through the carpet. The passenger side floor latch also has only one cable........ and it goes back toward the rear hatch. I will pull that right rear carpet area out again and find out where the cable goes and what, if anything, it is attached to.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It's attached to the door latch in the B pillar. The driver's side is the same. The release that is in the trunk on the driver's side goes to the door latch in the B pillar not to the handle on the floor.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
It's attached to the door latch in the B pillar. The driver's side is the same. The release that is in the trunk on the driver's side goes to the door latch in the B pillar not to the handle on the floor.
Gee whiz. 10 posts and finally cclive got it right!

As cclive states, the latch assembly is in the B pillar, not in the actual door like most cars. The cables just run slightly to the rear and then up into the B pillar. There is no cable on the passenger side that runs all the way back to the rear hatch area.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Default Door release.....

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Gee whiz. 10 posts and finally cclive got it right!

As cclive states, the latch assembly is in the B pillar, not in the actual door like most cars. The cables just run slightly to the rear and then up into the B pillar. There is no cable on the passenger side that runs all the way back to the rear hatch area.
I beg to differ...... My GS is a Canadian model as I live in British Columbia. I have had the entire interior out to install an insulation kit. The floor release on the driver side has a cable that goes back into the hatch/trunk area and the end of the cable has a black plastic pull tab. This pull tab comes out through a slot in the carpet right next to the emergency fuel door release......... pull the tab and the door pops open. There is a second floor release on the passenger side with a cable that goes back into the rear hatch/trunk area. I will be pulling the carpet out again on the passenger side rear to determine exactly what is on the end of the cable that is attached to the floor release on that side.
Just as a side note, my owners manual refers to an emergency release handle located on the back wall of the hatch/trunk. The manual states that the handle is there to open the hatch from the inside should someone get locked inside.......... I s**t you note. There is no emergency handle in my GS............ story to continue...........
Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. To state it differently: The cable handles on the floor, both driver and passenger sides, have cables that go under the carpet and into the B pillar and attach to the door opening latch. Neither of these cables go back into the hatch or trunk area. On the driver's side, there is also an additional cable that goes from the door latch mechanism in the B pillar back to the little pull tab in the hatch/trunk. So the latch mechanism on the driver's side in the B pillar has two cables attached to it, one from the handle on the floor and one from the trunk...either one can open it. The latch mechanism on the passenger side has only the one cable attached to it...the one that comes from the pull handle on the floor. If you open the door on either side and get down near the latch, you can hear it moving (opening) when you pull the pull handle on the floor.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:09 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Default Door release.......

Originally Posted by cclive
I think we are talking at cross purposes here. To state it differently: The cable handles on the floor, both driver and passenger sides, have cables that go under the carpet and into the B pillar and attach to the door opening latch. Neither of these cables go back into the hatch or trunk area. On the driver's side, there is also an additional cable that goes from the door latch mechanism in the B pillar back to the little pull tab in the hatch/trunk. So the latch mechanism on the driver's side in the B pillar has two cables attached to it, one from the handle on the floor and one from the trunk...either one can open it. The latch mechanism on the passenger side has only the one cable attached to it...the one that comes from the pull handle on the floor. If you open the door on either side and get down near the latch, you can hear it moving (opening) when you pull the pull handle on the floor.
............ well defined. Exactly the answer I was looking for. I'll go away now..................................... . bye-bye
Old 09-19-2014, 05:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Don't go away, just don't waste alot of time pulling out the carpet again....LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Driver and Passenger door release

Quick Reply: Driver and Passenger door release