C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal stuck to the floor and puddle under car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:16 PM
stephenpen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch pedal stuck to the floor and puddle under car.

I felt my clutch slip or wheel spin in third gear and got out of the throttle right away. After that my clutch pedal felt different. Every shift it stayed closer to the floor until it was stuck down.
I managed to get the car home and that's where I noticed something leaking out the bell housing.
Now the car starts with the clutch pressed and it stays in gear causing the car to move off the starter.
Is there an inspection cover. What's next.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Pull the drive line, since it sounds like your slave cylinder just gave up the ghost; and what it going to take to replace the slave cylinder.

The slave cylinder is bolted to the front of the torque tube, so it has to come out to get to the slave, and if you are that far, may as well replace the clutch (and it components as well).
Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 PM
stephenpen
Racer

That's not what I wanted to hear. I just put the motor and trans in this summer. I don't want to pull it again.
Do I have to pull the trans to get the torq-tube out.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Sounds like you are inline for a new clutch judging from my experience My C5 did the same thing; as it turned out, the clutch was coming apart and pieces were hanging up in the fingers so they couldn't move far enough to release. Try taking a peak into the inspection opening with a flashlight....you might see some extra pieces floating around.

Oct edition of "Vette" has a great write up on C5 & C6 clutch pedal not returning.....page 18. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by stephenpen
That's not what I wanted to hear. I just put the motor and trans in this summer. I don't want to pull it again.
Do I have to pull the trans to get the torq-tube out.

Yes, including first dropping the rear suspension out of the way first (after you have removed the exhaust and removed the torque tube cover so you can get to the diff, trans, torque tube to pull them to get to the slave cylinder to remove it from around the shaft.

Short version, unless you have a lift and lots of jacks to support the parts as you are pulling everything off, may just want to take the car in for a new clutch (and all is parts) instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-17-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM
stephenpen
Racer

I won't be taking it anywhere but my garage. I do all my own work without a hoist. Labor On top of parts would be a fortune.
Time for a mcloed rxt twin disk, master, slave and all the bearings and such in between the trans and motor.
Very expensive year so far. Motor, trans, clutch. Gotta love buying a used car
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the slave bleeder got loose somehow. I thought some folks could reach it from the bottom of the car to bleed it, albeit by feel not visually. Might be worth a check before everything gets removed.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Dano523
Race Director

C5 bell housing was the one that you could pull the bottom end of it to check everything out.

The C6 bell housing does not have this access cover.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by stephenpen
I felt my clutch slip or wheel spin in third gear and got out of the throttle right away. After that my clutch pedal felt different. Every shift it stayed closer to the floor until it was stuck down.
I managed to get the car home and that's where I noticed something leaking out the bell housing.
Now the car starts with the clutch pressed and it stays in gear causing the car to move off the starter.
Is there an inspection cover. What's next.
I hate to hear anyone with this problem, but the slave cylinder has let go on you. It sounds like you are familiar with the work involved in getting this item changed out. If you were closer to us I would offer our shop services to get this done for you. Since thats not in the card I can of a resource to get you the best prices on all the parts you will need to tackle this job at the best prices around. I stock all the things you will need and can get them out quick to you. The best way to shop with us is on our website where you will find easy purchasing FREE gifts with purchases as well as promotional prices on a lot of the items you will need to get your car back on the road.

At this moment I have the Best Deals on Mcleod Clutches. You will not find a better price on them anywhere.

Here is a link for our Mcleod Special Pricing.

Let us know how we can be a resource to you. We are happy to help.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM
stephenpen
Racer

Originally Posted by HinsonSuperCars
I hate to hear anyone with this problem, but the slave cylinder has let go on you. It sounds like you are familiar with the work involved in getting this item changed out. If you were closer to us I would offer our shop services to get this done for you. Since thats not in the card I can of a resource to get you the best prices on all the parts you will need to tackle this job at the best prices around. I stock all the things you will need and can get them out quick to you. The best way to shop with us is on our website where you will find easy purchasing FREE gifts with purchases as well as promotional prices on a lot of the items you will need to get your car back on the road.

At this moment I have the Best Deals on Mcleod Clutches. You will not find a better price on them anywhere.

Here is a link for our Mcleod Special Pricing.

Let us know how we can be a resource to you. We are happy to help.
Pm sent to Hinson. Time to get this car rockin and rolling again. Winter will be over soon.
Lets see who has the best price on a RXT

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal stuck to the floor and puddle under car.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal stuck to the floor and puddle under car.