C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery now top and comp mode won't work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:20 PM
C6 CYAA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New battery now top and comp mode won't work?

My 5 year old Optima red top gave up today. I do keep it on a cycle charger when it's parked and thought it was strange that it was so hard to start today. The convertible top retracted but the car would not go into Comp mode. I drove for about 30 minutes hoping to re-charge the battery. When I shut it down and tried to re-start it was dead. I figured after 5 years the battery was done. I installed a new battery and she starts right up but the top won't go back up and still it won't go into Comp mode. I checked the fuses and can't seem to find the trouble. Any clues???
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Do you have any other issues? Are the tire pressure sensors all reading proper values? If you see XXX for any of them or a low pressure reading the EBCM will not go into Competition mode.

As for your top there are 8 DTCs related to the top but you will need a scanner like a GM Tech 2 that can read body codes to see if any exist. Don't even bother with an autoparts store scanner.

I am attaching a general diagnostic for the top.

Something else to check is the ground for each switch.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Power Folding Top Inoperative.pdf (166.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 06:03 PM
C6 CYAA
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Do you have any other issues? Are the tire pressure sensors all reading proper values? If you see XXX for any of them or a low pressure reading the EBCM will not go into Competition mode.

As for your top there are 8 DTCs related to the top but you will need a scanner like a GM Tech 2 that can read body codes to see if any exist. Don't even bother with an autoparts store scanner.

I am attaching a general diagnostic for the top.

Something else to check is the ground for each switch.

Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the info. I left the car in the garage for the afternoon to think about what it had done. The issues have resolved themselves. I think the computer just needed some alone time.
Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Usually after a new battery, the windows need to be re-indexed and the convertible top will not move until they are. The top needs to know that they are down all the way before it will move.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cclive
Usually after a new battery, the windows need to be re-indexed and the convertible top will not move until they are. The top needs to know that they are down all the way before it will move.
Exactly correct.

Just roll both windows all the way up and hold the buttons for 30 seconds or so. Top should work then. Probably have to drive a bit to register tire sensors to get comp mode to work.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 PM
dzl_x_4x4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
This worked for me!

Disconnected the battery with the windows and top down. After I re-connected the battery, the top would not work. Then I re-indexed the windows and it works!

Thanks Guys, this saved me a trip to the stealership.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:36 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I actually forgot the re-indexing thing even tho I put in a battery about two years ago! I was thinking that the top needed to have its pressure released on the passenger side, or some such. Thanks for reminding me of the window thing, Chris!

One question for OP: is there a different type of battery maintainer needed/helpful for an Optima vs. for a regular battery that you know of?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 PM
C6 CYAA
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
I actually forgot the re-indexing thing even tho I put in a battery about two years ago! I was thinking that the top needed to have its pressure released on the passenger side, or some such. Thanks for reminding me of the window thing, Chris!

One question for OP: is there a different type of battery maintainer needed/helpful for an Optima vs. for a regular battery that you know of?
I have used the factory GM charger for 9 years on two Optimas with no issues.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good to know! Thank you CYAA.

Get notified of new replies

To New battery now top and comp mode won't work?

Quick Reply: New battery now top and comp mode won't work?