C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headers

What is the benefit of long tube headers over stock manifolds and pipes back to stock mufflers using same cats how much of a horsepower gain can be expected
Old 09-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Long tubes will require relocation of the cats so odds are you will not be able to use your stock cats. You will have to pick up a corresponding catted x-pipe. It has been a while but I think I picked up 30-40 rwhp in my 2005 with a tune.

Update: Found my old dyno sheets. 347 stock, 381 after long tubes and tune. Gain of 33 rwhp.

Last edited by Homer3D; 09-25-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Forbes
What is the benefit of long tube headers over stock manifolds and pipes back to stock mufflers using same cats how much of a horsepower gain can be expected
LT and tune will net you the most bang for your buck but you must ask yourself: Self; Is it worth it?

My header install has been a real nightmare and continues to haunt me. I got a name brand (from a forum vender) and they fit like crap. The vender replaced one header and it had the same issue. They've since turned their back on me and I'm left to my own accord. My issue is still not resolved.

It's too bad PFADT is no longer in business. They have the BEST design for the C6 cars.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 09-26-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
LT and tune will net you the most bang for your buck but you must ask yourself: Self; Is it worth it?

My header installed has been a real nightmare and continues to haunt me. I got a name brand (from a forum vender) and they fit like crap. The vender replaced one header and it had the same issue. They've since turned their back on me and I'm left to my own accord.

It's too bad PFADT is no longer in business. They have the BEST design for the C6 cars.
I have tried a few different sets of headers and kooks lt seemed to fit the best and have produced the best tq and hp numbers, threw out the power band
Old 09-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
I have tried a few different sets of headers and kooks lt seemed to fit the best and have produced the best tq and hp numbers, threw out the power band
I too had Kooks on my 2005 and they fit perfectly. I had zero regrets with them...well until it came time for smog. Damn you California!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

The headers I got don't clear the trans cooler lines adequately and they rest right against the heat shield on the passenger side. It clanks horribly when the engine is running. Their off road x-pipe won't fit my car either. The tips won't line up and one side will not even seal correctly. I would post a full install blog about it here but the mods will just delete it. I will probably scrap them and put my Z stuff back on.

What's funny is the vender campaigns a C6 car and has been making the headers for years. They can't even make a product to fit a 2013 car though. Horrible.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

What car and setup did you have?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

Jack, A properly sized set of long tube headers will increase power and torque throughout the rpm range. We offer a 100% US made option that can be fine tuned to match whatever upgrades you have planned. I'll be more than happy to go over what you have in mind and help you select the perfect set up.
ARH started in 2005 and we started our manufacturing making Corvette systems. We've fine tuned our design early on to provide a system that fit well, installs easily and performs beyond what most expect.
As owner I can tell you with total confidence that we are the headers of choice for most of the top Corvette shops in the USA, Europe and the Middle East. I can also tell you, along with countless forum members, that we go to great lengths to make sure our customers are completely satisfied. Feel free to email me a contact number and I'll gladly call you and go over all the details including cost. My email is nick@americanracingheaders.com If it's easier, you can also find me at 631-608-1986.
Thanks in advance.

Nick
American Racing Headers
Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
What car and setup did you have?
Hi it's an 05 C6 Z51 LS2 A4 automatic, I have had it with kooks 1 3/4 with highflow cats and with off road pipe with stok over the rear 2 1/2 ans corsa sports and 1 7/8 vararam that american racing implies are a direct knock off of theirs, and the fit was great had to modify the shields and very close on the passenger side, they produced more hp at 7200 rpm only and less tq across the rpm band
Old 09-29-2014, 03:10 PM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

Dennis, Yes Vararam knocked off our system but they aren't capable of copying all the various options we offer to better suit different mods. We have different size headers and different mid sections that we most often mix and match to better deliver the power where the customer wants it most. Huge difference.

Nick
Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by AR Headers
Dennis, Yes Vararam knocked off our system but they aren't capable of copying all the various options we offer to better suit different mods. We have different size headers and different mid sections that we most often mix and match to better deliver the power where the customer wants it most. Huge difference.

Nick
Thats good to know Nick, I have had no personal experience with your headers only the knock off
Old 11-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Hi it's an 05 C6 Z51 LS2 A4 automatic, I have had it with kooks 1 3/4 with highflow cats and with off road pipe with stok over the rear 2 1/2 ans corsa sports and 1 7/8 vararam that american racing implies are a direct knock off of theirs, and the fit was great had to modify the shields and very close on the passenger side, they produced more hp at 7200 rpm only and less tq across the rpm band
So the 2 higher runs are catted kooks 1.75" and the 2 lower runs are Vararam 1 7/8"?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

AR 1-3/4 cleared everything with plenty of room except for trans cooler lines on 2008 Z51 A6 base. A pry bar moved the lines enough to heat wrap them. I think the 1-3/4 provides more clearance and I'm glad I went with them,
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know Nick at ARH other than talking to him on the phone a couple of times, and his description is accurate. Told him what I was planning for my build, and they custom made my system - with phenomenal results. I had a Vette shop do the install, they said they were tight, but no issues.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
I don't know Nick at ARH other than talking to him on the phone a couple of times, and his description is accurate. Told him what I was planning for my build, and they custom made my system - with phenomenal results. I had a Vette shop do the install, they said they were tight, but no issues.
Could you be more specific? You say they custom built you a system. What did they change and why?
And what were your phenomenal results exactly?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently called Summit parts about headers for a 5.3 litre Chevy Silverado pickup and they informed me there would be no performance gains with the headers. No it was not a Corvette but still a Chevy V8. They impressed me with their honesty.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers

Quick Reply: Headers