C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:11 PM
monster c6
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch questions

I'm needing to replace my clutch and was curious as to what everyone is using. Car is a 2013 c6 with a cam and supercharger. Makes low 700hp and high 600ft. Looking for something with good street manners that doesn't cost a fortune thanks
Old 09-28-2014, 05:50 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by monster c6
I'm needing to replace my clutch and was curious as to what everyone is using. Car is a 2013 c6 with a cam and supercharger. Makes low 700hp and high 600ft. Looking for something with good street manners that doesn't cost a fortune thanks
This is what I'm running:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/8178/

I have not added HP to my LS3, but my stock clutch would go wonky after hard driving on a hot day. I was told it would "forward adjust". I tried a couple aftermarket clutches to get away from the stock design but neither of them had good street manners. I put the ZR1 clutch in and it drives like a kitten. Smooth, no chatter, light pedal pressure... perfect.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Contact Monster Clutch Company. Alslo know as SNL Performance. They are a sponsor of this forum. They also make some of the best clutch packs on the market. Personally we like there product over Mcleod and especially act.
Monster stands behind their product 100%, offers great customer service and even offers support if you need it. They are a great company that deserves to be supported.
817-750-2000
Old 09-28-2014, 09:05 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Get a mantic from ecs.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
jenablist
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kedar
Get a mantic from ecs.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

LS9 and Dyad clutch will both hold that power (dyad a lot more), while both will drive just like the stock LS7 clutch (read no chatter at the in nurtral with you foot off the clutch, and same pedal feel/engament as the LS7 clutch you now have).

As for the master and slave with stock fluid lines, if you are going to run stock oem units, at least drill out the three orifice restrictior's in the fluid lines. There is one at the hose end to master cylinder, one at the hose end to slave cylinder, and one at the coupling (all withing the lines). Gm installed them so the car could survive repeated clutch dumps by novice drivers that do not know any better, at the cost of burning up the clutch since it engages slower due to the slower return of the fluid back to the master cylinder instead (gets worse as the clutch fluid becomes wore clutch dust contaminated).

http://www.torcavettes.com/tech/ClutchHydraulics.htm
Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

been surfing for clutches myself. Think im going with a monster twin disk
Old 09-29-2014, 09:10 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Very happy with my McLeod RXT. I daily drive the car (butter smooth), and abuse it at the drag strip. Fantastic clutch.

Installed a Monster LT1-SC in a buddy's 5th Gen. It has a very narrow engagement point, hard to drive. The friction material also delaminated from the disk. They sent him a "revised" friction disk, it now chatters and drives like crap.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523

As for the master and slave with stock fluid lines, if you are going to run stock oem units, at least drill out the three orifice restrictior's in the fluid lines. There is one at the hose end to master cylinder, one at the hose end to slave cylinder, and one at the coupling (all withing the lines). Gm installed them so the car could survive repeated clutch dumps by novice drivers that do not know any better, at the cost of burning up the clutch since it engages slower due to the slower return of the fluid back to the master cylinder instead (gets worse as the clutch fluid becomes wore clutch dust contaminated).

http://www.torcavettes.com/tech/ClutchHydraulics.htm
The problem you reference is very common in 4th Gen F-Bodies. It is not an issue in a C6.

Stock hydraulics with McLeod RXT...

Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by monster c6
Check out the LT1-S or SC depending on how much power you plan on adding in the future. Give us a shout if you have any questions. Here is a GTO and a FBODY both running the LT1-S. Fbody cutting 1.4x 60's and the GTO cutting 1.5x 60's.

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Contact Monster Clutch Company. Alslo know as SNL Performance. They are a sponsor of this forum. They also make some of the best clutch packs on the market. Personally we like there product over Mcleod and especially act.
Monster stands behind their product 100%, offers great customer service and even offers support if you need it. They are a great company that deserves to be supported.
817-750-2000
Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by dev1360
Very happy with my McLeod RXT. I daily drive the car (butter smooth), and abuse it at the drag strip. Fantastic clutch.

Installed a Monster LT1-SC in a buddy's 5th Gen. It has a very narrow engagement point, hard to drive. The friction material also delaminated from the disk. They sent him a "revised" friction disk, it now chatters and drives like crap.
I'd like to know who your friend is...

Here is a Monster Level 3, stock hydraulics and he made over 80 passes with this clutch and these times.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:30 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

There are plenty of track results from all the major clutch manufacturers, what is most important in my opinion is drive ability and over all clutch feel.

A bad clutch can simply ruin a car and makes it no fun to drive.

I have driven every clutch out there and we have had the most consistent results and happy customers with the Mantic line of clutches hands down.

Mantic clutch is worlds apart from other manufacturers in the aftermarket, why? because Mantic isn't really an "aftermarket" clutch company. They are a branch of a huge OEM clutch manufacturer for every major auto maker in the world. Thus giving them resources and engineering that simply could not be financially matched outside of that industry.

Feel free to contact us for our current special that includes the 9000 series twin clutch and flywheel assembly, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, hard ware, clutch bleeder kit and shipping within the cont US.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I have A DYAD, on cold start up the weights make a chattering noise, once it gets warmed up its quiet. does have stock engagement, but I have a tick master on it, I like the tick master. I would recommend a speed bleeder on which ever route you go. makes bleeding a lot easier.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 PM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

Buy a Mantic 9000 from Doug.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch questions

Quick Reply: clutch questions