C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Cd1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z51 manual trans

I'm new to Corvettes and recently purchased an 08 3lt z51 manual transmission. Clutch fluid was clean when I bought it and I keep an eye on it each fuel fillup. I drive it on a daily basis to work which is 17 miles one way. I've noticed that when I first get in and shifting the trans its almost like the clutch doesn't disengage quick enough. Or kind of like a very slight synchronizer problem when car is cold. But once car is warmed up completely and Id say driven about 15 miles it shifts smooth as butter. Or if car is still "cold" if I shift at 3000 rpm or above it shifts smooth as butter. Is this normal for these cars to shift poorly until all of drive train has got up to temp?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Normal...nothing to worry about. When you do change the fluid, just suck out the old and replace it, then drive it. Don't sit in the garage pumping the clutch. You are lucky that you are far enough from work to fully warm up the car.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When the transmission is cold you will get a little nibbling on the 1-2 shift for the first mile or so. Just move the shifter slowly and you won't have a problem. Depending on how old you are you might be able to remember 40+ years ago when manual transmissions used regular gear oil and were really difficult to shift when they were cold.

Bill
Old 09-29-2014, 10:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Also, during that time when the trans is warming up, you can use the other old school method known as double clutching (shifting into neutral, let out clutch, rev a bit, shift into second).
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Cd1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When the transmission is cold you will get a little nibbling on the 1-2 shift for the first mile or so. Just move the shifter slowly and you won't have a problem. Depending on how old you are you might be able to remember 40+ years ago when manual transmissions used regular gear oil and were really difficult to shift when they were cold.

Bill
That is the best way to describe it....nibbling. Although mine seems to do it much longer than a mile or two. I'd say coming back home from work I can hit up to 10 spots that I would have to come to a complete stop in a 12 mile distance. And all of them I'd feel the nibbling. But by the 15 mile mark and my last stop its smooth as can be. But if that's normal I have no problems with it. Just good to know.....as with any car I purchase I tend to over think and think the worse. Thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine is the same, I just shift the 1-2 slow until the car gets warm, it dosen't take long in Texas. Like a couple of times.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

normal; my 1-2 is interesting till warm. Mustang before this would grind 2-3 until warm since new.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 manual trans

Quick Reply: Z51 manual trans