C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers, off road X-pipe, no tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Pwdr Extreme
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headers, off road X-pipe, no tuner question

So I have an '07 LS2 A6 that I'm about to put Kooks 1 7/8", a 3x2.5 off road X-pipe and Borla S-Type II. I'm going to supercharge it in the near future so obviously will be getting it tuned then. My question is will the car run reasonably well (driveable, but obviously not optimized) and just set a check engine code, or will it just flat not run worth a hill a of beans and I should just wait till I get the supercharger installed and tuned before driving it?

I've used programmers numerous times over the years, but this will be the first time dealing with an HP Tuner setup. If I shouldn't drive it cat free with headers, can I buy the HP tuner setup right now to make the car driveable until I finish the build? I'm in Montana, so there aren't any tuning shops around. I'm planning on either taking it to Wong's in Washington or leaning towards Colorado Speed since they are basically the same altitude I am. 4,800'

I've read great things about Wong's but nothing about Colorado Speed, thoughts?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,186 Posts

No cats, and the back O2's in play, it going to throw codes since the difference between pre and post cat O2 readings will not be great enough difference.

Even with high flow cats, still may throw codes as well because of the same. The high flow cats are moved away from the headers (heat source) and become less effective.

As for buying HP tuner pro, this will save you the $100 that the tuner will need to charge to tune the car using Hp Pro, but you will need to take the laptop that you have it loaded on (including your dangle) so the turner can use it, instead of his (your version will have already used the 2 credits it takes to register the program/dangle to the car, where as if he uses his, will take another two credits to register his program/dangle to the car instead).

Last edited by Dano523; 10-05-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Pwdr Extreme
Instructor

So will it only throw codes, or will it pull power by not seeing the cats?

How do the credits work with HP tuner pro? I see it comes with 8, if it takes two to register the car and dongle, where do the other 6 get used if I'm only tuning my car?
Old 10-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

The 8 credits allow you to tune up to four vehicles, or shall we say, four VINS. One credit to license the VIN and one to read/write the file and VCM...........an unlimited amount of times also.

However: If you attempt to use the VCM enhancement, it will require you to relicense your VIN (use another 2 credits).

Unless you're planning on doing some severe tuning you only need the standard version.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 10-05-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Pwdr Extreme
Instructor

What is a VCM enhancement? As far as tuning, I don't know what constitutes "severe". I'm looking to dial in the HP and firm up the shifts.

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
The 8 credits allow you to tune up to four vehicles, or shall we say, four VINS. One credit to license the VIN and one to read/write the file and VCM...........an unlimited amount of times also.

However: If you attempt to use the VCM enhancement, it will require you to relicense your VIN (use another 2 credits).

Unless you're planning on doing some severe tuning you only need the standard version.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedforhire

Yes, no, maybe.

The HP tuner credits are used to license the car to a specific dongle/software only, and if you are going to have the car tuned down the road by a tuner running Pro, then you need to have pro software/dangle so you can hand your laptop/ pro dangle to the tuner to use yours instead ( so you don't have to pay for extra credit to register your car to his software/dangle).

Last edited by Dano523; 10-05-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:12 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

You can use spark plug non foulers to stop getting the cat codes. No tuning necessary, had I known about that trick I could have saved 300 bucks
Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

the computer can adjust the air fuel ratio for the headers. the rear o2 sensors read the catalytic converters efficiency at cleaning the emissions, not air fuel ratios. you will leave a little hp on the table, but you will not run lean or have a cel light. again i didnt do this but i would have had i known
Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 AM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

if headers will be your last mod, i would get it tuned if not i would use the non fouler trick to keep the cel away till i supercharged or cammed the car so i wouldnt pay twice for the tuning
Old 10-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

The only difference between the MPVI and MPVI Pro is that the Pro unit allows you to do real time data logging without the use of a laptop/tablet connection. The standard requires a connection.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

VCM Suite 2.24 is the same for both versions. The owner can choose their default views...........basic, standard or advanced. MPVI Pro has better data logging capabilities than the MPVI Standard.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 10-29-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Well this is going nowhere! Good luck OP.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:17 AM
Pwdr Extreme
Instructor

Headers and off road pipe are installed. Surprised how much louder it made the car, sounds awesome at full throttle! It does drone, no doubt about it. However it only drones upon acceleration at a low rpm. Cruising down the highway you don't really notice it. Not much louder. Yet my girlfriend could hear me from inside the house 3 miles away when I floored it.

No cel lights, but only drove about 20 miles. It does pop and gurgle more upon deceleration which I like and has a really wicked growl during full throttle up shifts.

I'm meeting Chuck Cow in Vegas next week for a booster, tranny tune, and engine tune, so I should be pretty well set till I supercharge it this winter.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Kontra06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you install the headers yourself or have someone else do it?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Pwdr Extreme
Instructor

I installed the entire system myself. Start to finish was probably 6 hours. My awesome girlfriend was there for a helpful extra pair of hands for some of it. The x pipe would be about impossible to hold up, line up, and bolt on by yourself, unless you had an adjustable stand. (Which she said she is buying me for Christmas )
Old 10-31-2014, 01:41 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Be sure to report back to the boys on the forum.....

Originally Posted by Pwdr Extreme
Headers and off road pipe are installed. Surprised how much louder it made the car, sounds awesome at full throttle! It does drone, no doubt about it. However it only drones upon acceleration at a low rpm. Cruising down the highway you don't really notice it. Not much louder. Yet my girlfriend could hear me from inside the house 3 miles away when I floored it.

No cel lights, but only drove about 20 miles. It does pop and gurgle more upon deceleration which I like and has a really wicked growl during full throttle up shifts.

I'm meeting Chuck Cow in Vegas next week for a booster, tranny tune, and engine tune, so I should be pretty well set till I supercharge it this winter.

Thanks for the info guys!
Be sure to report back to the boys on the forum.....about what you got.

Better let.... LET THEM DRIVE IT A BIT...

That'll teach em.
Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Headers, off road X-pipe, no tuner question

Quick Reply: Headers, off road X-pipe, no tuner question