C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 will not turn over???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:08 PM
iflex2fitness
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 18 Posts

Default c6 will not turn over???

It spins rapidly but will not turn over. I think it's the starter solenoid but would like more input.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I think we need to clarify terms. Usually "turn over" means that the starter is turning the engine. Is this what you mean? I am not getting the difference between "spinning" and "turn over"...to me, they mean the same thing.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the Freewheel and pinion gear assembly on the is not engaging with the fly wheel. There may be a fix, but I would just suggest starter replacement. You can hit the starter with a hammer and that may get it to release (if stuck), but I would bet the issue will return soon.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM
iflex2fitness
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Homeboy77
Sounds like the Freewheel and pinion gear assembly on the is not engaging with the fly wheel. There may be a fix, but I would just suggest starter replacement. You can hit the starter with a hammer and that may get it to release (if stuck), but I would bet the issue will return soon.
So exactly what part do you think I need and do you have an idea of the cost. Would this be an easy replacement for me to do myself? I so think a new starter is the fix.
It is definately not engaging.
It spins but never starts. I recorded it this morning but can't figure out how to attache it here so you can hear what I'm trying to describe.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM
iflex2fitness
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cclive
I think we need to clarify terms. Usually "turn over" means that the starter is turning the engine. Is this what you mean? I am not getting the difference between "spinning" and "turn over"...to me, they mean the same thing.
Turning and spinning, the same thing. Just not sure how I should have worded it.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

If the starter motor is spinning, but not engaging the flywheel in order to turn the engine, then most likely you need to replace the starter motor.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:31 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out if its the engine that's spinning and not starting or just the starter motor spinning and not engaging the flywheel.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM
0v3rc10ck3d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the car hop around? Can you sit a glass of water on the intake manifold without spilling it?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM
iflex2fitness
Burning Brakes

No hopping. I just talked to a corvette tech in dallas and he said it sounds like the fuel pump.
It is not a starter or alit actor issue.
The other day when I started my car in a parking lot. The immediate idle was very ruff. I cut the car off then started it again without an issue. I might say it was a little jumpy then.
I did play for him the video I made this morning so he heard the actual sound it was making.

Last edited by iflex2fitness; 10-14-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM
0v3rc10ck3d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just meant if a big V8 is turning over and cranking it usually makes some movement vs what a starter motor would
Old 10-15-2014, 02:04 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

If the accessory belt is turning then the motor is "turning over" and your starter is probably fine. If not but you hear the starter motor "spinning", you most likely need a new starter.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by iflex2fitness
No hopping. I just talked to a corvette tech in dallas and he said it sounds like the fuel pump.
It is not a starter or alit actor issue.
The other day when I started my car in a parking lot. The immediate idle was very ruff. I cut the car off then started it again without an issue. I might say it was a little jumpy then.
I did play for him the video I made this morning so he heard the actual sound it was making.
Your terminology has us guessing as to what is actually happening.

You might be better off describing what you hear.

As for posting a video can you upload your video to Youtube? if so then click the YouTube icon at the top of the Forum Posting Box which will insert two YT codes surrounded by brackets into your post. Then go to your Youtube video and copy all of the URL characters to the right side of the = sign and paste those between the two YT codes. It will look something like this YT]2eziXqx4VIU[YT]. I left off the leading bracket character [ so you could see the coding Vs a video.

It is pretty simple.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To c6 will not turn over???

Quick Reply: c6 will not turn over???