C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Jharms
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Replacement

I'm looking to replace the LS2 in my 2007 Indy Pace Car. It currently has an A&A V2 Super Charger, blower cam, meth injection, etc. I'm considering the following options. I would appreciate feedback on which would be the best option.

AES 390 cubic inch motor- Callies crank, rods and
wiseco pistons 9.5 compression. Custom Comp
cams supercharger specific, double roller timing
chain, melling oil pump, ls7 lifters, arp main studs,
arp head studs, yella terra roller rockers, and PRC
ls3 heads

TSP 418 cubic inch motor- Callies crank, rods and
wiseco pistons 9.5 compression. Custom Comp
cams supercharger specific, double roller timing
chain, melling oil pump, ls7 lifters, stock rockers,
and PRC 227 heads

TSP ls3 376 cubic inch motor- Callies crank, rods
and wiseco pistons 9.5 compression. Custom
Comp cams supercharger specific, double roller
timing chain, melling oil pump, ls7 lifters, stock
rockers, and PRC 227 heads
Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is your end use going to be? what are you wanting/expecting out of the setup. Do you have any power gain plans in the future? This will help narrowing it down to what the suggestion can be. This is going to be your money not mine. I personally would not suggest any of these options if you are staying in the 6-8 lbs boost and upwards to 12. I would stay in the 10-10.5 compression. Let us know what your plans are this will help.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Jharms
Instructor

Originally Posted by needcheese
What is your end use going to be? what are you wanting/expecting out of the setup. Do you have any power gain plans in the future? This will help narrowing it down to what the suggestion can be. This is going to be your money not mine. I personally would not suggest any of these options if you are staying in the 6-8 lbs boost and upwards to 12. I would stay in the 10-10.5 compression. Let us know what your plans are this will help.
I would like the hottest daily driver (with almost factory drivability) that I can get. I'd certainly like more low end torque that I got with the current setup which was right at 700 RWHP. I go to the track a few times per year and I certainly want to hold my own (or actually dominate) when I'm there.

I'd like this to be my end state. No upgrades down the road. If I need to do any upgrades other than a larger pulley for my current super charger, then let me know what those recommendations are.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:02 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stay at the 10-10.5 compression. You will be happy staying close to the gas mileage you are getting. The lower compression will get you less mpg. The 418CI will not have the same longevity as the 376. The longer stroke gives more piston wobble (egg shape) the cylinder. A stroker will give you more torque than horsepower gain. You will probably be more happy with a 408CI engine. I just had my stock engine rebuilt from a failed lifter. I stayed stock displacement with all forge bottom end. My compression is 9-9.5. I have an A&A v3-ti running 12 lbs boost. The lower compression only getting me about 19 mpg highway.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Jharms
Instructor

Thanks, Needcheese! I appreciate the feedback! Input on the compression on the gas mileage is something that I hadn't considered.

Any other inputs?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Are you keeping the blower?? If you are, the LS3 376 looks good to me. Would not use 10-10.5 CR with blower on street gas.

I am not a builder, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

BTW: If you search on Yella Terra rollers, you will find some good and some bad.. Not worth the risk. IMO..
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would go see Anthony at LG in PLano.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Jharms
Instructor

Default Done Deal

Well, I took the suggestion of my mechanic at Lethal Performance and went with the AES 390. It's an iron block which adds some weight but it's supposedly build to take up to 1200 RWHP. I'm not planning on running that many horses but hopefully it will hold up and last a long time at the lesser HP.

And yes, 2K Cobra, I am keeping the blower and even installing a larger pulley since this motor will be safe with a bunch more boost.

I can't wait to see if this feels more substantial than the 700 RWHP that was in it before.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:38 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Best of luck and please post completed project...

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Replacement

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement