C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM
NMMike2012GS
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Catch can

I have read several posts regarding catch cans and was wondering if one is beneficial to a stock motor or is more of a need to an LS 3 with mods.

I appreciate your input
Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 PM
WCC JOE
Supporting Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sir,
I have personally installed catch-cans on two of my own LS motors. One for daily use (LS1) and another for track use. An easy check is to pop off the intake filter and check around the t-body. If you're finding trace amounts oil, consider a catch-can. With that being said, all LS have some oil in the intake. If you're running boost or higher RPM, expect more oil. Nevertheless, a clean intake is always a good thing.

I have attached a link with a full write up which will hopefully better explain what you're looking for. Feel free to contact me directly :thumb:

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 AM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by NMMike2012GS
I have read several posts regarding catch cans and was wondering if one is beneficial to a stock motor or is more of a need to an LS 3 with mods.

I appreciate your input
Just google "LS3 oil in the intake" to see why it's a really good idea to have one. The oil smell that everyone complains about is gone with the installation of a catch can too.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:06 PM
NMMike2012GS
Advanced

Originally Posted by GMJim
Just google "LS3 oil in the intake" to see why it's a really good idea to have one. The oil smell that everyone complains about is gone with the installation of a catch can too.
I did as you suggested and found sound reasoning as to why one should install one I just wonder why it's not a more popular modification. Any chance doing so will void the warranty?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:57 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Originally Posted by NMMike2012GS
I did as you suggested and found sound reasoning as to why one should install one I just wonder why it's not a more popular modification. Any chance doing so will void the warranty?
Done properly you can remove it in minutes if you feel your dealer will not approve.

Do a search on how to install one on an LS3. You can use some of the ideas here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-please-3.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...an-set-up.html
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM
NMMike2012GS
Advanced

Originally Posted by GMJim
Done properly you can remove it in minutes if you feel your dealer will not approve.

Do a search on how to install one on an LS3. You can use some of the ideas here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-please-3.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...an-set-up.html
As far as voiding the warranty goes ? that's what I was thinking. Any recommendations out there as to what brand to go with or are they are pretty much the same?
Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I have one on my LS7 (ZO6), and always get a couple of ounces at oil change time. Not a big deal, and probably not really needed on a street car.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 AM
GMJim
Drifting

Originally Posted by carpe dm
I have one on my LS7 (ZO6), and always get a couple of ounces at oil change time. Not a big deal, and probably not really needed on a street car.
I don't track my ZR1 and recently went on a road trip to the Corvette museum. Probably 800 miles round trip, 70 mph or so with no WOT (my wife was with me) and checked the can when I got back and found nearly 5 ounces of oil in it. That oil would have been ingested and burned. This coats the valves and pistons with carbon and isn't very healthy for the cats either. A small investment to keep the engine and cats happy. I use the Elite engineering can.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:27 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

All the corvette catch cans that Im aware of have the issue of being undersized, as most if not all motorsport governing bodies require a 1 quart minimum capacity. The only company that I know of which even makes a 1 qt catch can is radium, however the unit is 350 bucks. Its probably the nicest design though - even comes with its own dipstick to give a quick reference as to when it needs to be drained:

http://www.radiumauto.com/Competitio...-Can-P289.aspx

Im in the process of planning one out for my c6 but will likely make a carbon fiber one in a rectangular shape to fit it between the frame and the radiator shroud...

Old 10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Radium site shown close proximity between inlet and outlet ports, distance renders it less efficient. Extension not withstanding, if presentation is important, it does look good however.

On the other hand, although assembled, my formerly used Elite's modified innards are not visible:

I have found it is capturing oil in my street LS2, essentially stock application.

OP, if you are concern with warranty, keep it stock. Historically, common denominator among million mile cars were keep stock and maintained with oem replacements.

But if you are into more possibilities, well....

Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Elite Engineering has a great catch can. We have used it for a few years now and it works perfectly. (No more oil in the intake)
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/
Old 10-22-2014, 02:09 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Elite Engineering has a great catch can. We have used it for a few years now and it works perfectly. (No more oil in the intake)
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/
Same experience here after running The Elite can for about seven years.

Get notified of new replies

To Catch can

Quick Reply: Catch can