C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

off topic... which go pro??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:11 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default off topic... which go pro??

hey go pro users. which go pro shud i go for? i will barely use it except for a few trips to the drags so not intersted in spending 500 on the new gopro 4. which go pro will do the job without all the extra garbage i dont need and still have good enough quality picture and sound. best bang for bucks effectively.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:44 PM
WCC JOE
Supporting Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have two of the Hero3 Silver, one for personal (linked to my iphone) and the other for work. The unit itself doesn't really matter. It's the software and editing that makes for those amazing photos.

Get at least the Hero3, which has the wifi so you can rip images fast without going home and downloading it.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I have the HERO3: Black Edition

But with limited use, I think the HERO3: White Edition would be perfectly fine.

You can compare the differences here
http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras

If you want to save even more money, google "GearPro"

It is a GoPro knock off and I can tell by the videos I have seen, it is not as good but it also doesn't cost anywhere near as much.

And FYI, there is an Off Topic sub forum for non-corvette related topics.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 PM
slapshot12
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the Hero3 Black Edition too. It works great on my Harley, but haven't tried it in the Vette yet. With the new 4 out, the prices on the 3's should be going down.

The HD video is great with the 3, as are the still pix. I picked the GoPro for the versatility. Between all of the mounts, cases, etc, I can mount it on the motorcycle, car, boat, and take it under water.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Battlelurker
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hero 2 and a 3+ black. The 3+ is noticeably better quality. I would get a 3+ of some sort. Or a lower end 4. I think the way the have them is the second best 4 is about equal to the last generations best.
It also really depends on what resolution and fps you want to shoot at. The higher end gopros have more options for that. The black editions have better low light performance than the lower end models if I remember correctly.
There are some videos online that are side by side comparisons.
But really you cant go wrong with any of them. Just stay with the more recent ones if you can afford it.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Sony action cam.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I use the Hero 3 Black

I filmed this on one of our Cars and Coffee meets in WPB, FL. Watch in high res. This was also recoded for youtube so the quality has been dropped significantly.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Stwigg5
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a hero 3 and have had it for years. I've used it from on the track, in my police car, scooba diving which was down 50ft and even put it on my dogs back with the chest mount lol the great thing is about it is even of you only plan on using it at the track a few times that there is so many different mounts for basically any application. I do know with some of the newer models you can down load an app to your phone to view the vids might wanna consider that wish I had it but don't regret ever going with the go pro great quality piece of equipment
Old 10-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Tim94GT
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two Hero 3 white editions and I'm happy with them. They do 1080 @ 30 FPS, which is good enough for me. The still photo's could be better, I think it's only 5 megapixels. But, I didn't buy them to take stills. I have a regular camera for that...
Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

I use a 3+ Black and love it. With the new one coming out, you can probably pick up a 3+ for less. The second best 4 is probably not a bad one either.

I would like to get a second one and would probably get another 3+ Black just to match, but I just don't see a need to get a 4 since like you, I just don't use it often.

I used it this past weekend for Autocross and prior to this had not used it for at least a month or two.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Had a sport bike run from me with a 3 + black, the clarity was unreal. Not bad for 190 mph........
Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you are stuck on go pro brand, get the nicest one you can afford. If you are willing to look at other brands, there are great cameras, with more/better features, for less money, with better pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To off topic... which go pro??

Quick Reply: off topic... which go pro??