C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats...Facts or Fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 PM
vforrest
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cats...Facts or Fiction?

Putting headers (and mid pipes) on this winter...all stock 05 M6 Z51 with an Edlebrock SC. Below are comments I have been seeing here on CF....and I thought this was going to be an easy decision vs. all the things I had to consider putting on an SC vs. NA project last winter.

No CATS = DRONE...that freakin DRONE! My S Type Borlas are great no drone but I could live with a little louder...just not the DRONE vib thing!!!

My SC would melt the high flow cats?

No cats equal...bad smell in cockpit?

My state emission computer will know someone has removed the cats when they plug in (they don't put a sniffer on it anymore, just a plug in)....$10,000 fine?

If CATS they will get plugged within a year from the SC?

If I have DRONE with no-CATS they can add Resonators (whatever those are) then no problem?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:59 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My personal experience with cats and supercharging has not been good. My stock cats were destroyed after a year or so. I then went to ARH headers and high flow cats. The cats lasted maybe a few thousand miles before coming apart and plugging up.
I have no issues with drone running with or without the cats with the headers and NPP mufflers. Than again I have a convertible and it may be different on a coupe.
As far as smell without cats, it can be reduced with tuning, and will also depend on the cam specs. On my car I have got it to where there is no real noticeable smell, other than when I start it in my garage.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 PM
vforrest
Racer

Originally Posted by realcanuk
My personal experience with cats and supercharging has not been good. My stock cats were destroyed after a year or so. I then went to ARH headers and high flow cats. The cats lasted maybe a few thousand miles before coming apart and plugging up.
I have no issues with drone running with or without the cats with the headers and NPP mufflers. Than again I have a convertible and it may be different on a coupe.
As far as smell without cats, it can be reduced with tuning, and will also depend on the cam specs. On my car I have got it to where there is no real noticeable smell, other than when I start it in my garage.
WOW....that helps.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

They have emission testing in Waukesha county. Today you may get by without cats as log as you don't have any codes.The place that does my emission testing tells me that a visual inspection is coming, so you may have to have some type of cat.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Guinzu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a proper tune, no cats will pass the OBDII inspection part of the test. However, if they visually check (like they are suppose to), fail. Most inspection places deal with normal cars and don't usually bother with the visual.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:37 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

No cats? Why not just dump your motor oil in the sewer...
Old 10-19-2014, 08:37 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

We don't have emissions testing here but if we did I would get some high flow cats and gut them. That should take car of a visual.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by berk4422
No cats? Why not just dump your motor oil in the sewer...
Its not a choice. If someone would make a cat that would last on a supercharged car, I would be happy to install some.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Its not a choice. If someone would make a cat that would last on a supercharged car, I would be happy to install some.
How does Lingenfelter do it? How is it being done on '15 z06? Something isn't adding up.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

How does Lingenfelter do it? How is it being done on '15 z06? Something isn't adding up.
I am guessing it is in the conservative tuning.. I don't know for sure.

There is a limit to how much I want to spend to find cats that last.

Stock cats after 2 or 3000 miles being supercharged...

ARH cats after maybe 3000 miles....

Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget the ZR1 they have had that on the road for a good while now and never heard of any problems.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 PM
vforrest
Racer

Originally Posted by timd38
They have emission testing in Waukesha county. Today you may get by without cats as log as you don't have any codes.The place that does my emission testing tells me that a visual inspection is coming, so you may have to have some type of cat.
Since the state closed up shop and farmed out all of their plug n play service my regular service station (in Waukesha Co) took over and they were the ones that said that the state's new super computer will pick up everything. They get like $3 a car and the data streams right to the states system. They don't sniff or look under it, they just plug it in and it passed two weeks ago which was cool because I've been driving around all summer with a tuned SC.

Tim I think if it didn't pass you are right I'd have to put them on then as part of the fix.

So all of the performance guys say...no cats you'd be nuts to not get the max out of your mods...want to see my shocked face! My tuner is pretty sharp so my guess is that we could get it right if their was a smell issue. He described what resonators are and what they look like if the DRONE was present but that sounds like some dick'n around with a little back and forth to add those.

Last edited by vforrest; 10-19-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:11 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Twowheelin_wildman
Don't forget the ZR1 they have had that on the road for a good while now and never heard of any problems.
i have to ask my friend who owns a shop but i think he has had stock CTS V's ZL1's and ZR1's in for LT's and the cats were shot when they took them down?

just asked.. he says stock V's and ZL1 are good to maybe 500 wheel MAX.. ZR1's good til about 575 wheel.. he's built more than 20 V's and at any given time has multiple ZL1's in there has also built dozens of C6 and Z06's and probably 10 ZR1's hundreds of TBSS's with everything from turbos to whipple, procharger, maggie, Kenne bell etc etc. so i believe what he is saying. i've seen it myself. alot of it has to be very conservative tuning.

guess they're using stronger cats? But when you supercharge a regular NA car the cats are not handling it?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-19-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by vforrest
Tim I think if it didn't pass you are right I'd have to put them on then as part of the fix.

So all of the performance guys say...no cats you'd be nuts to not get the max out of your mods...want to see my shocked face! My tuner is pretty sharp so my guess is that we could get it right if their was a smell issue. He described what resonators are and what they look like if the DRONE was present but that sounds like some dick'n around with a little back and forth to add those.
I pass currently without issue, but soon they will start going after tuners and individuals if they mod a car and remove the cats. That is what the emission tester I use told me in August. I happen to have another house that is not in the testing area, so I moved the location of two of my cars there to avoid all the hassle. Plus, I need to have a couple cars there.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Supercharged 05' here and my aftermarkets cats "honey cone" clogged and melted. I gutted out my cats so it still looks like there on the car for a visual inspection. I have them running to Borla touring mufflers. My car is tuned very well. I have more exhaust smell at an idle from my truck. I get a little exhaust smell while driving from time to time. Nothing compared to some DD cars running on the streets.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 PM
vforrest
Racer

Originally Posted by 77vette05
Supercharged 05' here and my aftermarkets cats "honey cone" clogged and melted. I gutted out my cats so it still looks like there on the car for a visual inspection. I have them running to Borla touring mufflers. My car is tuned very well. I have more exhaust smell at an idle from my truck. I get a little exhaust smell while driving from time to time. Nothing compared to some DD cars running on the streets.
Very cool....Thanks Bill....that gives me some good direction!

Get notified of new replies

To Cats...Facts or Fiction?

Quick Reply: Cats...Facts or Fiction?