C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Elmemo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 cam upgrade

Im looking into upgrading my 07 ls2 corvette with cam, can anybody guide me as to which cam I should get? I do have all of bolt on you could possibly have. If anybody can help that woulb be great. I was looking in brand from comp cams since they have been around for a while but open to new suggestions. Thank s for the help
Old 10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Bradleyfr92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Elmemo
Im looking into upgrading my 07 ls2 corvette with cam, can anybody guide me as to which cam I should get? I do have all of bolt on you could possibly have. If anybody can help that woulb be great. I was looking in brand from comp cams since they have been around for a while but open to new suggestions. Thank s for the help
VR has a cam kit that comes with everything you need. Double valve springs, hi- volume oil pump etc. I went with a stage 2 cam. IF you plan on adding a blower, then i would grab a blower friendly cam. Mines a 227/235 stage 2, and it drives real smooth, but can open a can real fast if somebody pulls up on you. Mines an ls3 btw

Last edited by Bradleyfr92; 10-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

On my LS2, I had a 228/232 on a 115 LSA. Great mild cam. Got 50 rwhp (with tune) and can still pass smog here in California.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:28 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

What are your goals with the cam?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Elmemo
Advanced

i would like to get good hp out of it and want that good cam sound. I dont race all the time but i do get on it when i get the urge too.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:13 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian Tooley or PatG custom cam. They are the best in the business.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Patrick G
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

As mentioned, the best cam for your application depends on your mods and goals. Most LS2 engine combos respond to a smaller split between intake and exhaust duration to preserve low and mid-range torque. A very popular size is a 228/232 .604/604 112LSA for all around power and torque over a very wide variety of rpm. I prefer the EPS lobes ground by Cam Motion because they are much more controlled on and off the seat than other competitive cams. This allows the cams to rev higher and run much quieter. You won't get the dreaded sewing machine noise so common with aftermarket cams.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're looking for a better performing slightly more rowdy cam here is a great choice:
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...-Camshaft.html
It is one of our most popular camshafts. Keep in mind there are a few other parts that we recommend that you add along with a new cam. For example, our titanium dual spring and retainer package.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...pring-Kit.html
If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or call 313 561 5500
Old 10-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Elmemo
Advanced

Default cam upgrade

is that a custom grin cam ? also how much hp will it put down to the rear wheels? and will it have that good sounding camming sound as well i heard alot cars with cams and dont sound like they have a cam ?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Elmemo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bradleyfr92
VR has a cam kit that comes with everything you need. Double valve springs, hi- volume oil pump etc. I went with a stage 2 cam. IF you plan on adding a blower, then i would grab a blower friendly cam. Mines a 227/235 stage 2, and it drives real smooth, but can open a can real fast if somebody pulls up on you. Mines an ls3 btw
VR = who is that vender ? sorry not familiar with alot of corvette venders this is my first time owning a corvette ived have cobras most of my life.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Elmemo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
If you're looking for a better performing slightly more rowdy cam here is a great choice:
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...-Camshaft.html
It is one of our most popular camshafts. Keep in mind there are a few other parts that we recommend that you add along with a new cam. For example, our titanium dual spring and retainer package.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...pring-Kit.html
If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or call 313 561 5500
is that a custom grin cam ? also how much hp will it put down to the rear wheels? and will it have that good sounding camming sound as well i heard alot cars with cams and dont sound like they have a cam ?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 PM
0Livernois Motorsports
Supporting Tuner

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

It is a custom cam. The cam alone will add around 30WHP. And it does have a pretty aggressive sound at start up and idle.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM
94ltz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would like to get good hp out of it and want that good cam sound. I dont race all the time but i do get on it when i get the urge too.
Hit up BTR for a cam kit, I'm about to buy one from him.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 PM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

VR = who is that vender ? sorry not familiar with alot of corvette venders this is my first time owning a corvette ived have cobras most of my life.
Vengeance Racing
Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Bradleyfr92
Advanced

Flyby beat me to it. David was very helpful at Vengeance Racing. Having nice supporting mods like headers, HIgh-flowing xpipe and a nice catback exhaust like the Borla Atak will greatly increase HP with a cam. As they help greatly with airflow, compared to the stock exhaust. Some ported heads with aftermarket valves, along with a 102mm LSx intake will definitely increase airflow. Your cam/heads can only pull as much air as the sotck intake will allow.

Last edited by Bradleyfr92; 10-23-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
As mentioned, the best cam for your application depends on your mods and goals. Most LS2 engine combos respond to a smaller split between intake and exhaust duration to preserve low and mid-range torque. A very popular size is a 228/232 .604/604 112LSA for all around power and torque over a very wide variety of rpm. I prefer the EPS lobes ground by Cam Motion because they are much more controlled on and off the seat than other competitive cams. This allows the cams to rev higher and run much quieter. You won't get the dreaded sewing machine noise so common with aftermarket cams.
I have to agree with Patrick. Cam Motion made me a custom billet cam. It's a pretty mild mannered street cam that makes good power through a wide band. Mine is 226/230, 615/595 on 112 LSA. I'm very happy with it. Nice guys to work with too.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Cookee
Racer

I have an 2005 LS2 A4 with a Isky HRX Cam. Specs 224/230 - 608/612 on 112 LSA. Sounds good runs good- 431rwhp with stock heads & CHE Rockers.
Listen to the smart cam guys on this site. My cam is sewing machine noisy and rough on spring life.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 cam upgrade

Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I highly recommend u have Pat G. Spec a cam for you. He just recently did mine and nailed everything I wanted.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I would recommend what I did, call Martin Smallwood at Tick Performance and have a conversation. Let him know what you're looking for and would be willing to put up with as far as rough idle, possible surging at low RPMs ect. Martin spec'd me a cam I'm very happy with in my LS3. I also purchased everything through Tick Performance and they were priced competitively.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:23 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sorry for my sarcasm, but is there really a "secret sauce" when it comes to cams that most vendors have. Everyone wants to have a special cam, but at the end of the day, most are almost identical in performance and specifications when spec'd for a specific application.

Find a tuner you trust and use what ever they recommend for your application, because at the end of the day, the tuner is the one you are going to hold accountable. I have a Comp Cams 54-469-11. Not a recommendation, only information.

Last edited by timd38; 10-24-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: c6 cam upgrade