C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05' z51 c6 rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 AM
ChpThril
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 05' z51 c6 rear diff

From what I understand the 05 c6 diff shares the same diff as the c5. Is this true?

Will the c6 zo6 output shafts swap right into into the 05' diff?

Dealer swapped out the left rear axle seal. 2 days later it started leaking again. Now they want to tear into the rear end and r&r the diff as they think something is worn and shredding the seal. But of course they weren't sure. I'm guessing the bearings are worn. But I haven't had a chance to look, as they have it and they called me late. Anyways, while they're in there, I was gonna have em pop in the z06 output shafts to help strengthen it.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:53 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Z06 output shafts will fit. If you are thinking of abusing it any further, it may be in your best interest to upgrade to an 06+ diff.

I have a brand new Z06 shaft and gear with retainer ring if you need one. Just got them in the mail today, won't be needing them.

Also, if you pick up another diff, 09+ diffs have Z06 output shafts, diff clutches, and pinion carrier/bearings already in them.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:55 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I think it would be far cheaper to leave the weaker output shafts to prolong (not prevent) this. My advice would be to replace the diff with a Z06 while it still has a core value.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:16 PM
ChpThril
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I considered it, till I discovered the swap is nearly $4k for the parts. At that cost ill just blow this unit up and buy another over and over! 😂😂😂

I don't drag or have hard launches. So the diff lives a decent life with me
Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM
stanger383
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ChpThril
From what I understand the 05 c6 diff shares the same diff as the c5. Is this true?

Will the c6 zo6 output shafts swap right into into the 05' diff?

Dealer swapped out the left rear axle seal. 2 days later it started leaking again. Now they want to tear into the rear end and r&r the diff as they think something is worn and shredding the seal. But of course they weren't sure. I'm guessing the bearings are worn. But I haven't had a chance to look, as they have it and they called me late. Anyways, while they're in there, I was gonna have em pop in the z06 output shafts to help strengthen it.
It does bolt right up to an 05... If you go that route you need to make a new mount.. If you are going that route and interested let me know.. I make a bracket kit that allows you to bolt it in with no welding or drilling.

Last edited by stanger383; 10-28-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stanger383
It does bolt right up to an 05... If you go that route you need to make a new mount.. If you are going that route and interested let me know.. I make a bracket kit that allows you to bolt it in with now welding or drilling.
care to elaborate? i have an '05 manual and have wondered when it is going to blow up...been looking into installing a C5 z06 differential...and have heard you need a mounting plate to bolt it to the C6 cradle...is that what you are talking about that you fabricate?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 PM
stanger383
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by veloz
care to elaborate? i have an '05 manual and have wondered when it is going to blow up...been looking into installing a C5 z06 differential...and have heard you need a mounting plate to bolt it to the C6 cradle...is that what you are talking about that you fabricate?
That is correct.. It consists of 2 brackets and an isolater that allow you to bolt it into the c6 cradle with no welding or drilling required. You do however need to grind some of the lower fins off the diff regardless of how you adapt it. Other than that it is a bolt in package.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Works like a charm. I can vouch for it. Thanks Norm!
Jeff

Originally Posted by stanger383
That is correct.. It consists of 2 brackets and an isolater that allow you to bolt it into the c6 cradle with no welding or drilling required. You do however need to grind some of the lower fins off the diff regardless of how you adapt it. Other than that it is a bolt in package.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:49 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

very good...i got you saved up for when im ready...BTW what is it made out of, do you include all parts for installation and what's the cost.?

other than the differential, anything else that needs to be purchased? does everything else bolts up to the z differential?

Last edited by veloz; 11-02-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 05' z51 c6 rear diff

Quick Reply: 05' z51 c6 rear diff