C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Kooks Headers on Dry Sump GS..Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing Kooks Headers on Dry Sump GS..Any advice?

I'm going to be installing some Kooks 1 7/8 headers & catted-x on my 2011 Grand Sport in my drive way on some jack stands. Can anyone offer any useful advice before I start? Looks like I'll be changing the plugs and I'll have to order some new msd wires and something to protect them from the additional heat. I need to pick up that tool to remove the o2 sensors, but I believe I have everything else I'd need. I just wasn't sure if there was any additional work with the dry sump as compared to the standard wet sump.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 PM
RMA_C6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing
I'm going to be installing some Kooks 1 7/8 headers & catted-x on my 2011 Grand Sport in my drive way on some jack stands. Can anyone offer any useful advice before I start? Looks like I'll be changing the plugs and I'll have to order some new msd wires and something to protect them from the additional heat. I need to pick up that tool to remove the o2 sensors, but I believe I have everything else I'd need. I just wasn't sure if there was any additional work with the dry sump as compared to the standard wet sump.
Disconnect battery. Jack the car way up, pull the plugs and drop the stock exhaust. Next drain the oil and disconnect the dry sump lines and tie them out of the way. Not sure on the Kooks but on the ARH's I had to take the nut off of the bottom of the passenger side motor mount and lift the engine to get past the starter. Driver side is easy. You won't need an O2 socket as long as you have a 7/8th wrench iirc. When you hook your dry sump lines back up just make sure there isn't any dirt on the rubber gasket and reuse it. Make sure you connect your front O2's up correctly, only the rears cross and secure your wires good. You also can use stock plug wires. No need for aftermarket. It's a pretty easy job! Good luck!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Someone posted a pic by pic write up on how to install headers on a grand sport dry sump out here, but I can't find it now. It was with PDFAT headers I believe, so it would be the same for you.

I had LG Super Pros installed by a local shop, because they did not charge any more to install them. It took them around 4 hours, and they were meticulous when doing it, and they did it on the drive on ramps.

They only had the vette about 2 feet off the ground, and the height worked fine.

edit - Here's one DIY thread - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-dry-sump.html

Last edited by Seadawg; 10-28-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 AM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys
Old 10-30-2014, 03:14 AM
Freak3150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed some on my dry sump GS earlier this year and the oil lines came very close to the headers, so I wrapped them in heat insulating tape at that spot. I also used it on the clutch line and some of the wires, and I think I might have used some on the brake and fuel lines too. Basically I just taped up anything I thought looked too close to them for my tastes. Might have been unnecessary, but I gave me peace of mind.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Kooks Headers on Dry Sump GS..Any advice?

Quick Reply: Installing Kooks Headers on Dry Sump GS..Any advice?