C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with an electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 PM
BruiSSer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with an electrical issue

Hey guys, so I found the C6 M6 I wanted and the headlight assembly has a weird hole in the bottom of it that has a clear bulb sticking through it facing up, that illuminates with the headlights like a parking light. I've seen headlight assemblies for sale like this on ebay and don't really understand it. I'm guessing it's not oem. Anyone know what that is for or why they're like that?

Anyway, the parking lights (the orange ones) won't turn on at all, and neither will the fog lights. I can hear the actuator activating the fog lights, but nothing turns on. Everything out back works, it's just the front. The dealer said they will look at it and find the problem, but I really don't have much faith in them and was hoping to get some insight from you folks so I can maybe steer them in the right direction. Obviously check simple things first like if they're connected, fuses, etc. Just curious on your thoughts and if it had anything to do with that weird headlight assembly with the light in the bottom of it.

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited by BruiSSer; 10-24-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

My opinion is that one of the previous owner botched up trying to mod the lights.

My opinion is that if you can get the price of the car reduced by the cost to put it back to stock, consider it otherwise walk. The headlights are very expensive, even if you buy them from forum member RLSebring. The harness may also be messed up, so I would include the cost of replacement harnesses. I would ask for a couple maybe 3 grand off the price of the car and if you are handy you can probably replace all of that for $1500 (used) yourself. There are many threads on the "easier" way to replace the headlights.

But examine the car very carefully for what else they screwed up!

If you already bought the car, well lesson learned and welcome to the Corvette club. Contact RLSebring and he should be able to set you up with everything you need to put it back the way it should be.

Last edited by Flame Red; 10-24-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:38 AM
BruiSSer
8th Gear

Thanks. Already bought it with the condition that this would be fixed as part of the deal. The price was reduced quite a bit as well to reflect the problem. We shall see if they follow through. Here's the headlights that are on the car (different color) with the extra "marker light" as they call it. Advertised as "European style" whatever that is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-13-Corvette-C6-Headlight-Assemblies-CARLISLE-BLUE-Pair-NEW-EUROPEAN-/111358452325?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ed7b2265&vxp=mtr
I should mention that the orange lights work perfect when locking the doors, using the blinker, etc. Hazards work fine. And like I said, I can hear the actuator turning on with the fog lights also. I'm wondering if it might be a ground issue?? The fog light indicator light turn on in the dash.

Last edited by BruiSSer; 10-24-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Those are the headlights required for the European market.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Those are the headlights required for the European market.
European lights have a "town bulb" in them that illuminates the light so that others can see you without putting out light for you to see out. In european cities, the thinking is that visibility is the reason for headlights.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:44 PM
BruiSSer
8th Gear

Thanks guys. It's all fixed. Something wasn't plugged in and a dies was out. Back to normal now.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:26 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by cclive
European lights have a "town bulb" in them that illuminates the light so that others can see you without putting out light for you to see out. In european cities, the thinking is that visibility is the reason for headlights.
So, they are like a daytime running light only more complex?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
So, they are like a daytime running light only more complex?
Not more complex...they look much like a D-cell flashlight bulb and are only meant to provide visibility to the front of the car. The US has always had very different headlight standards from Europe. We have caught up quite a bit as our headlights 20 years ago were considered simply inadequate in Europe. Here's a pic of a 250SL Mercedes with European and US lights:

Here's a pic of a Porsche headlight unit. The lense at the top is the high beam, the blue bulb in the middle in the big reflector is the low beam and then off to the right of the blue bulb is the "city" bulb. Apparently many of these are now LEDs:

Last edited by cclive; 10-27-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:11 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default GM Euro spec headlamp

[QUOTE=BruiSSer;1588132303]Thanks guys. It's all fixed. Something wasn't plugged in and a dies was out. Back to normal now.[ works fine on our cars as long as you get the extra wiring harness that goes with it
Old 11-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Tombovette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Not more complex...they look much like a D-cell flashlight bulb and are only meant to provide visibility to the front of the car. The US has always had very different headlight standards from Europe. We have caught up quite a bit as our headlights 20 years ago were considered simply inadequate in Europe. Here's a pic of a 250SL Mercedes with European and US lights:

Here's a pic of a Porsche headlight unit. The lense at the top is the high beam, the blue bulb in the middle in the big reflector is the low beam and then off to the right of the blue bulb is the "city" bulb. Apparently many of these are now LEDs:

Old 11-29-2014, 03:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I completely forgot about the Euro, around-city bulbs---I think the '66 Beetle used to have a small bulb in the headlight that was the parking or around town light. IIRC, Euro cars used to also have a single tail and sidemarker light that you could leave on, either right or left side, if parked on the street. Long ago, in Paris, many cars parked halfway up on the sidewalk and left the outside lights on.

Just as a caution, OP, I'd watch carefully to see that your battery level doesn't go down in case there is some other kind of wiring short. Just bein' a little over-cautious, y'know....

Get notified of new replies

To Help with an electrical issue

Quick Reply: Help with an electrical issue