C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Snake

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Vararam Snake

Hi

What l have read here is that the Snake is the best for my LS2 2007, but
there has to be some altering to the front.

I will probably pass because l do not want to cut anything unless the new model is different.

Help

Alan

Last edited by Kingman99; 10-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

You have to cut the shroud. That is how you will get cooler ambient air, which is the benefit of a true CAI and the VR. Other air intakes with larger filters are just pulling the heated air from inside the engine bay and many are skeptical as to whether they offer any performance improvement. I believe VR also offers a pre-cut replacement shroud so you don't have to cut yours. But I have heard it is a giant PITA to remove/install. Many opt to cut their stock shroud, but be cautious not to cut the AC line behind it. If you're nervous, have a shop install it for you.

You could also search for the "toggle bolt mod" for the LS2. Basically you drill a couple of holes in the lower section of the shroud and prop it open with toggle bolts. Some have reported decent results from this and it'll only cost you a few dollar$.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

You will have to butcher the radiator shroud, and there wont be much left of it. However, its a $50 part if you decide to undo the damage later on. If you don't want to go that route, I'm pretty sure you could get similar gains, for not a whole lot more money, and a lot better throttle response, from a tune by a reputable tuner and not have to cut anything up.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Stwigg5
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did mine in one morning gotta cut some but it's worth it

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Snake

Quick Reply: Vararam Snake