C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 manifolds/cats/x pipe with what mufflers? (Hint, quiet)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:21 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS7 manifolds/cats/x pipe with what mufflers? (Hint, quiet)

Hey everyone, I know you were probably wishing to see an exhaust thread on CF today

To get an idea of what sound I like, to me the C5 Z06 exhaust is the best sounding vette out there. I love the rasp, snarl and pop, especially on decel. I need a quiet performance sound. I dount want the exhaust sound to overwhelm the awesome intake sound of the ls3.

The car is an 09, stick, z51 with NPP mufflers. I am at the point where I can't stand the sudden boom of the mufflers opening up. You can't row through the gears with any enthusiasm and not get it. If the flaps opened more progressively, it would be a lot better, but that's not the case. I really think I need a non valved exhaust.

I will be adding the LS7 stuff, which will make it a tad louder.

I have heard vids of the standard ls3 mufflers that have been modified (insulation removed and the like) and I think it sounds good, a little like the C5 Z06 actually.

So other than by a set of standard mufflers and use a reducer to make it work with the 3" x pipe, what other options do I have?

Maybe the quietest Corsa option in Z06 size? Do they have a non valved muffler for the Z06?

I wish the C5 Z06 ti mufflers could fit a C6. Has anyone attempted this? I searched and found nothing. The inlet and outlet is on the same side of the muffler, and of course they are cross mounted.

Any and all suggestions appreciated! Any vids of your similar setup is also appreciated!
Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM
JRE-C6
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

After going through 6 sets of mufflers on my 05, The quietest set up is the Borla Touring as I had these with long tube headers and high flow cats and it was very quiet but still louder then stock with no drone.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

The Corsa Sports are available in Z fitment. They are pretty loud and aggressive sounding under acceleration, but quiet down nicely when you set the cruise.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a set of OEM Z06 mufflers. When open, they're quieter than the NPP's. LOTS of folks mod them to get them as loud as the NPP mufflers. Here you are trying to go the other way . Unmodded Z06 mufflers sell for around 400 bucks on the forum. NPP's are usually a few hundred bucks more. The ability to have complete control when they open is simple and just just a few bucks away. Get a controller and have the best of both worlds
Old 10-30-2014, 06:32 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you are wanting quiet....and you are going to be doing a full Z06 conversion with OEM manifolds and cats.....then use stock 2006-2009 Z06 mufflers and just keep the baffles open.

That is the closest I know of to sounding like the stock Ti systems at least as far as volume goes.

If you do headers...I would still use a stock Z06 muffler and just control the baffles as you need to, just don't do the muffler mod on them.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
If you are wanting quiet....and you are going to be doing a full Z06 conversion with OEM manifolds and cats.....then use stock 2006-2009 Z06 mufflers and just keep the baffles open.

That is the closest I know of to sounding like the stock Ti systems at least as far as volume goes.

If you do headers...I would still use a stock Z06 muffler and just control the baffles as you need to, just don't do the muffler mod on them.
I agree....
Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Thanks for the replies so far.

Wow so what you guys are saying is that the Z06 npp style mufflers are actually quieter than the ls3 ones? I would think the larger diameter would make them louder. With the fuse pulled with the (completely) stock npp exhaust it is loud, unrefined and pops a TON on decal, not in a good way.

I still really would rather not have an adjustable exhaust, unless it had more gradual/linear opening, similar to the modes of a new Corvette with the option, or like a new M3.

I looked at some pics of the rear ends of a c5 and c6... it looks like if that plastic piece of the rear diffuser on the c6 wasn't in the way, a c5 muffler could fit, possibly at an angle. I always assumed shorter rear overhangs in the c6 are what made it a shorter car than the 5th gen, and therefore the c5 cross flow mufflers just wouldn't fit. I wonder if anyone has attempted to trim that plastic piece and put the ti c5 z06 mufflers on a 6th gen car, but I highly doubt it.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

The Z style actually is perforated similar to a glass pack muffler in the straight through part of the muffler. The NPP mufflers are pretty much straight through with no perforations. The Z "muffler mod" closes off those perforations and makes it straight through like the NPP's.

I'd seriously reconsider trying to retro fit a C5 muffler to a C6. You're creating a bunch of work/expense for no reason that I can see. A Z06 muffler swap is easily done and will give you whisper quiet when you want it and get you a pretty aggressive sound at the touch of a button. Not straight thru aggressive, but not obnoxiously loud either.

If you absolutely don't want a dual mode muffler, the Corsa sport is a good alternative. If I had to lose my NPP's, that's about the only non dual mode I would consider. I absolutely loathe an exhaust system that won't shut up when you hit the cruise button. Absolutely, there's a time and a place for an aggressive sounding exhaust. Cruising down the highway on a 400 mile trip ain't the place for a stupid loud exhaust.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
t.renz791
Racer

I might go that way then. At least with these exhausts, they are a low risk deal... if I don't like it I can sell and recoup a good portion of the $$
Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

You can make a modified x pipe using part of the z06 and part of the original one, so you can still use the 2.5" overaxle pipes. I used a reducer right after the 3" xpipe and attached the back half of the 2.5" assembly using accuseal band clamps.

The quietest exhaust I know of would be the oem non npp mufflers.

I have a set that were cut off my overaxle pipes - additionally I had 2.5" sleeves welded on them so they can be reinstalled with band clamps (which I can include) - PM me if interested.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

For the loud vs quiet issue that happens when you're having some fun, just get a controller for a couple bucks that allows you to control if the flaps are open or closed, instead of the car controlling it.

I can only assume you are wanting the Z06 manifolds, etc for the extra power. So stick with doing a reducer at the back end of the 3" Z06 H-pipe and retain your 2.5" over the axle pipe. That's the simplest and least costly way to the most HP.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:00 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Originally Posted by el es tu
You can make a modified x pipe using part of the z06 and part of the original one, so you can still use the 2.5" overaxle pipes. I used a reducer right after the 3" xpipe and attached the back half of the 2.5" assembly using accuseal band clamps.

The quietest exhaust I know of would be the oem non npp mufflers.

I have a set that were cut off my overaxle pipes - additionally I had 2.5" sleeves welded on them so they can be reinstalled with band clamps (which I can include) - PM me if interested.

That was my original plan!
Any videos to demo the sound? Why did you change?

I might go with those, where do you live. If close to Buffalo, I can meet up.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by t.renz791
That was my original plan!
Any videos to demo the sound? Why did you change?

I might go with those, where do you live. If close to Buffalo, I can meet up.
Thanks
If you plan on the GM non-bimode mufflers, then the Z06 manifolds to H-pipe become useless and a power reduction results.

If you try something and don't like it and wish to try something else, doing a size reduction at the end of the Z06 H-pipe will allow any '09-up muffler system to be a bolt-on without further changes needed.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:31 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
If you plan on the GM non-bimode mufflers, then the Z06 manifolds to H-pipe become useless and a power reduction results.

If you try something and don't like it and wish to try something else, doing a size reduction at the end of the Z06 H-pipe will allow any '09-up muffler system to be a bolt-on without further changes needed.

I appreciate your post, but while It may lessen the gain, but not eliminate it. There are plenty of people out there that have done headers, 3" x pipe into 2.5" mufflers with dyno proven gains. The mufflers are far enough downtstream that the smaller diameter has less of an impact. I honestly think the biggest gain comes from the cat- going from a 2.5 to 3" cat (the hottest part of the exhaust, therefor the highest volume of exhaust gas) is where the ls7 system will be beneficial.

I will be happier with a very economical 10-15 hp gain across the rev band while maintaining a car that is easy to drive two hours to get to Watkins glen, over a loud, tiresome 25 hp gain. The money saved will go towards upkeep and consumables involved with a car that is tracked.

Plus, the more I drive it, the more I really detest the all of a sudden 'boom' of the npp exhaust at 3500 rpm or wherever that happens. I wish the flaps opened more progressively, or only at like 80% throttle.

Here is a car with headers thru the stock non flapped mufflers, it has the raspy volume similar to the c5 z06 I am after... should be a similar sound to the ls7 manifolds/cats x pipe with non npp mufflers. If not, I can do the muffler mod, one at a time haha
Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JRE-C6
After going through 6 sets of mufflers on my 05, The quietest set up is the Borla Touring as I had these with long tube headers and high flow cats and it was very quiet but still louder then stock with no drone.
I'm currently trying to install C6 Z06 OEM exhaust manifolds and OEM Z06 cats into a B&B 3" x-pipe then into a 2.5" axle-back Borla touring system on my supercharged 05.

Your results highlighted in red above is exactly what I'm trying to achieve... so your post has helped me to decide to continue and "try" to resolve the problem I'm running into with my car

Problem I've ran into .... is the Borla touring is not fitting because I'm running a C6 Z06 differential that has a differential cooler ... the OEM Z06 differential cooler set-up is causing the Borla touring not to fit.

I'm probably just going to remove the Z06 differential cooler set-up and hopefully that will fix the clearance issue I've ran into.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 PM
t.renz791
Racer

bump
Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you would be very please with putting the ZR1 mufflers on. You can also get the Mild 2 Wild exhaust controller. The Z06 started using the same muffler as the ZR1 in either 10 or 11. You can tell by the perforated tips.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by t.renz791
I wish the flaps opened more progressively, or only at like 80% throttle.
That's entirely possible for minimal cost. You just need to more completely understand the system and be open to creative solutions.

BTW, You also should investigate muffler openings and internal routing if you choose to use the base muffler. You're a 10+ year member, so you know the search method.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:26 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

You can install the complete Z06 exhaust on the manual trans without going to a smaller axle over pipe.

I have attached the complete installation instructions (attached pdf files)
Attached Images
Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default pictures

Here are some photos of the stock non npp mufflers that were cut off the overaxle pipes and had 2.5" flanges welded to them:

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 manifolds/cats/x pipe with what mufflers? (Hint, quiet)

Quick Reply: LS7 manifolds/cats/x pipe with what mufflers? (Hint, quiet)