C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Help

Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Wiring Help

I have a 2013 ZR1 I am hard wiring my Valentine 1 radar into. I would like to mount the hardwiring kit in the small open space on the inside of the drivers footwell (on the left side just forward of where you pull the hood release about a foot off the floor). *In the attached pic, at the bottom left is a large strip of velcro I have attached in the small area Im attempting to describe. The pic was taken looking up from the drivers floor to the left and at the very top far right you can see a piece of the underside of the dash.

I have a ground located but need a power source to tap into and just above where I have mounted the velcro is "some electrical connection". Im not sure what this connection is but I want to tap into for my power.

The following wires exist - blue, grey/dark, purple, yellow and light grey.

Which is the hot/power wire in this string of wires I need to tap into? I only want to do this once and not tap at multiple spots until I get it right one for obvious reasons.

Thanks for any help/direction.

Last edited by JKLNHDE; 03-24-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Wish I could be of some help, but without tracing the wire, it's really hard to say what it feeds. I personally wouldn't want to splice into any wire without knowing what it feeds. Some wires don't always carry 12 volts, so one has to be careful.

buy a fuse tap , connect it to one of the fuses on the passenger side footwell fuse panel (DRV or PASS heated seat fuse) and run the wire to your hardwire kit.
Remove the DRV Heated seat fuse, install that fuse in the original fuse slot, place a 10 A fuse for the wire going to your hardwire kit, then plug the fuse tap in the DRV heated seat fuse slot.
You will have to run wire from the fuse tap to the location of your hardwire kit. the fuse tap has a wire connector on the wire end.
Using the fuse tap at the DRV heated seat, the power will only come on once the car is started.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-07-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 AM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

For clarification on what was posted above:
-buy a fuse tap
- pull the drivers or passengers heated seat fuse
-plug that fuse into the lower of the two levels of the fuse tap (power is restored to heated seat)
-buy a new 10A fuse and plug it into the upper of the two levels of the fuse tap. (This fuse now controls power to the radar detector .)
-plug the fuse tap into the slot where the original heated seat fuse used to be in the fuse panel
-tap wire on fuse tap for power that will only come on when the car is started (what I need!)
I think I'm understanding your post but wanted to double check so please let me know if I've got it right. This is a great idea thanks for posting. I'd much rather go this route than tap a random wire !!
Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:26 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JKLNHDE
For clarification on what was posted above:
-buy a fuse tap
- pull the drivers or passengers heated seat fuse
-plug that fuse into the lower of the two levels of the fuse tap (power is restored to heated seat)
-buy a new 10A fuse and plug it into the upper of the two levels of the fuse tap. (This fuse now controls power to the radar detector .)
-plug the fuse tap into the slot where the original heated seat fuse used to be in the fuse panel
-tap wire on fuse tap for power that will only come on when the car is started (what I need!)
I think I'm understanding your post but wanted to double check so please let me know if I've got it right. This is a great idea thanks for posting. I'd much rather go this route than tap a random wire !!
Thanks again!
You got it....it will work like a charm for you and the wire can be hidden under your dash
Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Worked like a champ ! Thanks for the advice I appreciate the help
Old 11-08-2014, 06:27 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JKLNHDE
Worked like a champ ! Thanks for the advice I appreciate the help