C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tested klotz octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:29 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Default tested klotz octane booster

We used the same methods that the oil refineries use to release product. Started with a 91.7 road octane w/10% ethanol. Added 1 ounce per gallon ratio and ended up with a 92.7 road octane. So it's a little more convenient than keeping 100 octane around to mix and it's a little cheaper if you buy 1 gallon at a time. But this stuff eats through paint so you have to be careful.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Torco not available anymore?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:17 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
We used the same methods that the oil refineries use to release product. Started with a 91.7 road octane w/10% ethanol. Added 1 ounce per gallon ratio and ended up with a 92.7 road octane. So it's a little more convenient than keeping 100 octane around to mix and it's a little cheaper if you buy 1 gallon at a time. But this stuff eats through paint so you have to be careful.
Not sure how much that stuff costs per ounce but you might wanna try something called Aces IV.

It costs around $80 a quart but only requires one ounce per 5-6 gallons of gas (depending on your compression ratio) and will bump your octane up by 9 points according to the manufacturer's claims. While I have no idea if that part is exactly true or not, I can attest to the fact the stuff works as I haven't needed to buy 100 octane race gas at all after I started using it several months ago.

To be honest I've never been a fan of octane boosters in the form of an additive but changed my mind after Dave Myers from Yank Performance suggested I try it. What I did was go to a Test and Tune in Sacramento running 91 octane and 2 ounces of the stuff. To be safe I pulled out 10 degrees of timing and then started making passes.

After each pass I would check my scan and as long as I wasn't seeing any engine knock I would add back in 2 degrees of timing. By the time I was done I was actually running a little more timing than I had ever run with a 95 octane blend (91 mixed 50/50 with 100 octane) and the car ran great.

The stuff also has the added benefit of increasing upper cylinder lubricity but I only use it for the octane bump.

Let me know if you want to stop by and try some out one day as I keep some extra with me at the house.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Not sure how much that stuff costs per ounce but you might wanna try something called Aces IV.

It costs around $80 a quart but only requires one ounce per 5-6 gallons of gas (depending on your compression ratio) and will bump your octane up by 9 points according to the manufacturer's claims. While I have no idea if that part is exactly true or not, I can attest to the fact the stuff works as I haven't needed to buy 100 octane race gas at all after I started using it several months ago.

To be honest I've never been a fan of octane boosters in the form of an additive but changed my mind after Dave Myers from Yank Performance suggested I try it. What I did was go to a Test and Tune in Sacramento running 91 octane and 2 ounces of the stuff. To be safe I pulled out 10 degrees of timing and then started making passes.

After each pass I would check my scan and as long as I wasn't seeing any engine knock I would add back in 2 degrees of timing. By the time I was done I was actually running a little more timing than I had ever run with a 95 octane blend (91 mixed 50/50 with 100 octane) and the car ran great.

The stuff also has the added benefit of increasing upper cylinder lubricity but I only use it for the octane bump.

Let me know if you want to stop by and try some out one day as I keep some extra with me at the house.
I talked with Brian, who controls the lower level sales of this product. Interesting conversation and has me wanting to give it a try.

Lots of information on his site.

He says I can run it without changing the tune. It will richen up the a/f ratio some with no harm.

Some crazy claims so I started a thread looking for more reviews.

Your review gives it some legs, I respect your thoughts.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans

Any issues with it fouling up your plugs or O2s? I've heard Torco can do that so I was wondering if all additives have that side effect.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by shado
Any issues with it fouling up your plugs or O2s? I've heard Torco can do that so I was wondering if all additives have that side effect.
Nope, none at all.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:15 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I am not sure you guys know what an octane booster's claim of one point means. Do some research and you will find that when a bottle of octane booster reads "raises 20 gallon tank 1 point" Well, what they are saying is that you have a 20 gallon tank of 87 octane it will raise your octane level to 87.1 octane. Yes, one point, not one full octane like 88. I will probably get beat up over this but it's true.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:31 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
I am not sure you guys know what an octane booster's claim of one point means. Do some research and you will find that when a bottle of octane booster reads "raises 20 gallon tank 1 point" Well, what they are saying is that you have a 20 gallon tank of 87 octane it will raise your octane level to 87.1 octane. Yes, one point, not one full octane like 88. I will probably get beat up over this but it's true.
While that may be true for the other ones out there, it doesn't appear to be the case with Aces IV.

As I stated earlier, while I don't know how much the octane actually gets bumped I do know that I'm running more timing with the additive than I used to running a 95.5 blend from the pump.

As such, I would say that it's getting raised to at least 97, possibly a little more.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,180 Likes on 680 Posts

The Aces IV is interesting. Poking around I found a couple R6 guys claiming they can run a 100 octane tune on the Aces IV. Some of the Dodge guys claim it works, but almost none of them had data; just SOTP data. If one ounce per fill up can allow for 96 Octane timing to run on 93 pump gas, that's a pretty cheap way to pick up performance.

Any knowledge of whether it is cat converter friendly on a long term basis?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:19 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
The Aces IV is interesting. Poking around I found a couple R6 guys claiming they can run a 100 octane tune on the Aces IV. Some of the Dodge guys claim it works, but almost none of them had data; just SOTP data. If one ounce per fill up can allow for 96 Octane timing to run on 93 pump gas, that's a pretty cheap way to pick up performance.

Any knowledge of whether it is cat converter friendly on a long term basis?
I don't run cats in my car but Dave Myers has used it in a few of his cars and hasn't run into any issues.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:41 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
Already did the research and went thru case after case of Torco in 2003 to 2005 in my SRT4. No question that it raised the octane since the Dodge Stage 2 kit I installed required at 100 octane or I got spark knock. The SRT4 would automatically shut down the timing advance and high boost of the kit if it sensed knock. Mixed the way Torco recommended I got well above the 100 octane needed and had no knock until the outside air temp got to the high 90's with low density.

Never had a problem with the catalytic convertor, changed spark plugs every couple of months. Only way you could tell I was using Torco was the light reddish orange deposits on the tail pipe.

Believe the attached Torco chart, it is correct. Be advised that 100 octane acts different with different air density. 100 octane may be enough at cool temps and high density but high temps and low density the engine can still knock, even with 100 octane.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2014, 04:21 PM
maustin195
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shado
You can always use the Torco unleaded race fuel concentrate if you are worried about O2 sensors. I use it for a turbo 1000cc snowmobile at 18# of boost with no problems with the engine or sensor.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:53 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks, maybe i will try the acesIV because it sounds like it would be more convenient. My car has bumped compression and is tuned on 91, but i just like to have some cushion. It just seems crazy that 1/6 of an ounce per gallon will raise 91 octane to over 95. With torco it takes 1.5 oz from that chart. The klotz is $50 a gallon and 1oz/gallon for 1 octane.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:07 PM
JohnDaMan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's 1.6 oz per 1 gallon for Torco and 1 oz per 6 gallons for Aces. A huge difference
Old 11-13-2014, 06:40 PM
maustin195
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnDaMan
That's 1.6 oz per 1 gallon for Torco and 1 oz per 6 gallons for Aces. A huge difference
There is also a huge difference in the price per quart between the two. Torco at less than$20 per quart or Aces IV at $80 per quart. Not discounting one or the other but can say the costs are close.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That 1.6 oz of Torco would be 1/20 of the 32 0z can. The can is about $20.00 for 32oz so $10.00 for 16 oz. You're looking at about a Dollar for 1.6 oz to get 100 octane for 1 gallon.

Klotz at 1oz for 1 point per gal from 91 octane would take 9oz to get to 100 octane. $50 a gallon = 2.56oz per dollar so 9oz would be $3.51.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:34 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Any updates? Has anyone else tried klotz or Aces with good or bad results?

Get notified of new replies

To tested klotz octane booster

Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Good info!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 PM
JohnDaMan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried some Aces IV booster, it works. Much smoother engine. Didn't test for MPG gains, it's a Vette.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnDaMan
I tried some Aces IV booster, it works. Much smoother engine. Didn't test for MPG gains, it's a Vette.
It works in what way? Did you notice any improvements at the track or on the dyno? Did it eliminate any KR you may have been experiencing? Was the smoother running engine the only difference you noticed? What mods do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply: tested klotz octane booster