C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking 2011 M6 Coupe to Drag Track Friday

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Jayme
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking 2011 M6 Coupe to Drag Track Friday

Very excited/nervous about taking my 2011 M6 Coupe to the track friday! The DA should be WELL into the negative as we will have smiliar conditions tomorrow and its -1893 right now. Track is Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, TX. Similar mods on my 2009 Coupe A6 went 11.98 @ 119.98mph last year in -200 conditions. I went ahead and did the Ranger clutch care procedure (it will be the 4th time in the last year) just for precautionary measures. The car is still on the factory Goodyear Run Flats. I'm a pretty avid racer with 1000's of passes in my previous cars, never raced a C6 M6 with RunFlats on a cold track though, Any last minute tips? I plan on getting the front tires to 40 psi and rear to 25psi hot and icing the intake manifold down between passes. Thanks for reading guys!

Mods are:
Corsa Sport Exhaust
Halltech MF103
Granatelli 0 ohm Wires
VMAX CNC TB
Vararam Power Wedge
SLP 160* Thermostat
Diablo Predator
MGW Shifter.

Last edited by Jayme; 11-13-2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: mod list
Old 11-13-2014, 11:46 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Major DA envy here. Hope you do well.

Icing down the IM is futile. Even if you have removed the insulated cover, the manifold itself is still plastic that has nearly no heat transfer properties.

If the attendance is small and you can hot lap, it'll raise the oil temps and tire temps, while eliminating some of the heat soak from not moving.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Jayme
Navigator

Thanks for your help HOXXOH!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Yea, the only other advice above HOXXOH is to skip the water box and heat them up with a short burnout dry, for a little extra traction. You will have to learn your particular throttle feather technique for that day too, because you are going to spin
Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Jayme
Navigator

Originally Posted by Seadawg
you are going to spin
We shall see!! :-)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:37 PM
615C6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayme
We shall see!! :-)
Still getting use to my 05 LS2 M6 on the track with stock tires. I cant seem to get my 60ft down. Even launching at 1.2-1.5k RPM. Have fun and hope you do well! 12.90 was my best with a trap of 117 mph.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Too bad you can't borrow some drag radials, racing on street tires is like ice skating in sneakers...you can do it but it's not much fun.

My only advice is if you get any wheel hop at all, and you very well might with street tires, LET OUT. The #1 cause of broken rears is wheel hop.

This from a guy that has 497 launches like the one in my sig under his belt...only one broken rear, on pass 301. I never get wheel hop...but I never race on street tires either.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:46 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Too bad you can't borrow some drag radials, racing on street tires is like ice skating in sneakers...you can do it but it's not much fun.

My only advice is if you get any wheel hop at all, and you very well might with street tires, LET OUT. The #1 cause of broken rears is wheel hop.

This from a guy that has 497 launches like the one in my sig under his belt...only one broken rear, on pass 301. I never get wheel hop...but I never race on street tires either.
What's the trick to doing a good burn out like that? You use a line lock to just break the front wheels or you have that special technique to how to clutch/ gas it? Never understood how people do that and not smoke their clutch
Old 11-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by starchedup
What's the trick to doing a good burn out like that? You use a line lock to just break the front wheels or you have that special technique to how to clutch/ gas it? Never understood how people do that and not smoke their clutch
I have a line lock, but I can do it all day long without one, you just need to learn the technique. The line lock saves on the rear clutches and is a good cheap mod if you drag race often.

This website is a GREAT resource for all M6 drag racers on this and many other great topics.

www.rangeracceleration.com
Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I have a line lock, but I can do it all day long without one, you just need to learn the technique. The line lock saves on the rear clutches and is a good cheap mod if you drag race often.

This website is a GREAT resource for all M6 drag racers on this and many other great topics.

www.rangeracceleration.com
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Taking 2011 M6 Coupe to Drag Track Friday

Quick Reply: Taking 2011 M6 Coupe to Drag Track Friday