C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10's and 1/4 mile trap speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Tom it was a day rental, 10am-4:30pm the drag time calculator said -1300 and the weather station trackside said -500
You guys have all the good stuff. We're down to one track and they do a 6 hour (if you're lucky) TnT about 3 times a month where 2-300 cars show up and they're mostly ricers on street tires and the prep goes away early. It's run so slow, about 3 passes is the average for the $30 entry. They have an "event" a couple times a month, but that means the event racers show up the evening before for the TnT and make a couple passes too. Track rentals are almost unheard of, due to the price being so high that only major corporations buy the time. The website is crap and the DA rarely gets below 1000'. The next closest track is 120 miles and over 3000' elevation. To get close to a negative DA we'd have to travel 750 miles to Sacramento. A couple of us are going there Jan 3rd if the weather permits.

OK, rant over.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
You guys have all the good stuff. We're down to one track and they do a 6 hour (if you're lucky) TnT about 3 times a month where 2-300 cars show up and they're mostly ricers on street tires and the prep goes away early. It's run so slow, about 3 passes is the average for the $30 entry. They have an "event" a couple times a month, but that means the event racers show up the evening before for the TnT and make a couple passes too. Track rentals are almost unheard of, due to the price being so high that only major corporations buy the time. The website is crap and the DA rarely gets below 1000'. The next closest track is 120 miles and over 3000' elevation. To get close to a negative DA we'd have to travel 750 miles to Sacramento. A couple of us are going there Jan 3rd if the weather permits.

OK, rant over.
Tom you guys are lucky, atco has been canceling a lot of rentals and track days if its to cold its the only one open around here and the rental costs $200. and then their isnt enough cars to heat the track and everybody is scared and just watches and bs with everyone while it gets colder, if one guy breaks an axle or rear then forget it
Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 PM
BayAreaSS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

OK, rant over.
I race at Sacramento and sonoma. If you remember you can pm me and I'll come race with you guys in my c6z. Always nice racing with guys from the forum. I'm actually going to sac this Wednesday to see if I can hit my goal
Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I race at Sacramento and sonoma. If you remember you can pm me and I'll come race with you guys in my c6z. Always nice racing with guys from the forum. I'm actually going to sac this Wednesday to see if I can hit my goal
I'll post up something here in a couple days.

Meanwhile, I'll let this thread get back on topic.
Sorry for the hijack.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Vade46
I have a 2007 Z51 with an RPM stage 4 diff loaded with 4.10's. The car is bolt-on only. I was trying to decide on 4.10's or 3.90's and I kept reading on here that 4.10's are the best until you go with forced induction but I think I was hitting the cut-off before I crossed the line. I was running 121-122mph the last couple times at the track but this was the first time I was doing 124+mph. I could see that I wasn't over the line when I hit the rev limiter. On the 121-122ish passes I was crossing the line before the cut. I plan on going with Heads and cam over the winter and I'm thinking I will already have to switch to 3.90's. I was hoping I'd be good until I go with a Supercharger but I think I'm at the limit already. Anyone have experience/thoughts on this?
I also will be going to 4.10 soon with current 275-40-17 drs ..... If you keep it bolt on you'll need to raise your rev limiter to 6800 rpm to run in Cooler temps which get us trapping at 123-124mph ... ofcourse in the hotter days your rev limiter is okay Except I like my power band shift a bit higher ( OR try to) shift 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th at around 6800rpm with current 3.42s to get back on power band (( have mine set at 7000 just to be "safe" (or unsafe HAHA) ....

ofcourse IF you go Cam step up it will help power band higher and You will BE FASsssstttt!!! BUT will have to set your Rev limiter FUrther UP!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Joe G, I don't understand how our MPH's are so different if we pretty much have the same setup. I'm obviously topping out 4th at 124 and I topped out 5th around 175.
I have a g5x3 cam and AFR heads and I've set my rev limiter to 6800 or maybe 6900 (been a while), so the extra power and higher rev limiter give me greater trap speeds and top speed. On the top speed, I run 345/35/18 tires that are tall, maybe 28" or more, so I get a higher top speed too. I had stock heads when I did my top speed runs and 450 RWHP but that was enough to hit redline in 5th given enough space.

Top speed from the factory in our cars was 186 BTW....given enough room...I have an ad around here somewhere showing it. The Z06 had a top speed of 198 (surprised they didn't do something to get the extra 2 mph), both with 3.42 gears obviously and both in 5th. The c5 has a short 5th gear that tops out at like 160 or so, they gave our c6's a long 5th to get those top speed numbers. The ZR1 goes over 200 but in 6th gear, they have a short 6th gear.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Vade46
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The fastest I've ever had the car was 184 with stock gears and some bolt-ons. I was only around 5.9k rpm's in 5th so with a little more room I don't think 190+ would've been a problem. I remember 170 came right around 5k rpm.

Now I'm thinking of holding off on the H/C install so I can hit the track with new tires and a higher rev limit when the track opens back up. I just don't feel right knowing that I haven't hit the full potential of my current set-up before I move on.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

The fastest I've ever had the car was 184 with stock gears and some bolt-ons. I was only around 5.9k rpm's in 5th so with a little more room I don't think 190+ would've been a problem. I remember 170 came right around 5k rpm.

Now I'm thinking of holding off on the H/C install so I can hit the track with new tires and a higher rev limit when the track opens back up. I just don't feel right knowing that I haven't hit the full potential of my current set-up before I move on.
You have a tenth or maybe more in your 60 foot, you might want to practice your launches a bit more. It gets harder the lower you go, I'm at the point I floor the car and then start slipping the clutch.

The best tip I got was from RobZ, accelerate into your clutch release, don't just hold it at rpm, release, then floor it. Your gas foot should be going down (or already down on the floor) when you start releasing the clutch.

It can be hard on the parts. If you get any wheel hop abort the run immediately.

Balancing the launch between spinning, smoking the clutch, letting the clutch out too fast and breaking something, and getting a good launch takes a lot of practice. You want to work to avoid the bog at take off and that's how you get the 1.4 60 foots.

Stay vigilant on your clutch fluid flushing, I do it before and after each track event.

If you read what I wrote about Fartpipe's launch you can see graphically what I'm talking about. He launched at 4300 and bogged down to 3400 rpm (all at WOT by the way), I typically launch at 5300 or so, bog to 4200 or a bit higher as I don't have the power band he does and so need to launch harder. Plus his torque management or something was preventing him from revving higher at the launch. You can see what I do in the video above, follow the track and know that when you hear that engine revving my foot was on the floor and I timed out my clutch release just so to balance on the head of the pin between the 4 options I typed above. I also can't tell you exactly how I do it, except that it's a skill honed in over 497 launches in this particular car.

Just some food for thought for you.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

OP, just bump the rev limiter to 7k.

Problem solved. You have enough mph for 10.80s was you get it to 60' like joes.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ajrothm
OP, just bump the rev limiter to 7k.

Problem solved. You have enough mph for 10.80s was you get it to 60' like joes.
But he's going to need a bit more power to get 10.80's and probably 1.4 60's. He will be able to get low 1.5's I think.

To my knowledge, there are no bolt on manual ls2 cars in the 10's...I had to try and try and beat the hell out of my car to get 10.99 with cam only.

At 11.4 he's doing a lot better than me when I was bolt on, but I couldn't really launch like I do now back then.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Vade46
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I know 10.80's aren't possible....I don't think anything in the 10's is going to happen with a bolt-on M6 LS2 that isn't a full race car. I'm thinking realistically that 11.2's should be attainable with a better 60ft and being able to continue accelerating all the way through the quarter mile. My best 60ft to date is a 1.583 and I've had a few other 1.58's 1.59's and 1.60's. I have only been to the track twice with my new clutch so I know I can get better than that with a little more practice. There is not much more I can do with the car, I think the only thing I haven't done when it comes to bolt-ons is an electric water pump and any weight reduction beyond removing the passenger seat. I'd rather not go with an EWP and I'm not going to be stripping down the car either. I weigh about 235 so a good diet over the winter will help me out a bit. I plan on going to track as much as possible next year but the track is over 3 hours away from me so unfortunately it won't be too often.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I know 10.80's aren't possible....I don't think anything in the 10's is going to happen with a bolt-on M6 LS2 that isn't a full race car. I'm thinking realistically that 11.2's should be attainable with a better 60ft and being able to continue accelerating all the way through the quarter mile. My best 60ft to date is a 1.583 and I've had a few other 1.58's 1.59's and 1.60's. I have only been to the track twice with my new clutch so I know I can get better than that with a little more practice. There is not much more I can do with the car, I think the only thing I haven't done when it comes to bolt-ons is an electric water pump and any weight reduction beyond removing the passenger seat. I'd rather not go with an EWP and I'm not going to be stripping down the car either. I weigh about 235 so a good diet over the winter will help me out a bit. I plan on going to track as much as possible next year but the track is over 3 hours away from me so unfortunately it won't be too often.
Skinny GTO spare front tires and taking out the 53 lb passenger seat took me from a bunch of 11.2's @ 124 to 10.99 @ 126 and a bunch of 11.0's so don't discount the value of the skinnies and taking that seat out. All the fast guys do it, it's super easy.

You're doing great getting 11.4's with bolt ons, in fact you are near the M6 bolt on record posted at 11.342, and you're fourth on the manual list.

Take that seat out, it's easy and it might give you the record.

Let me also advise you....based on experience....my buddies and I chased 10 second slips for a few years. Our cars were dead reliable 11 second machines, we'd race each other and nobody broke. Once we all crossed into that 10 second range, cars broke. And diffs take out trannies virtually every time (the mainshaft bends) and that's about a $5000 bill.

We all say if we had it to do over again we'd just leave our cars at bolt on level and enjoy them. Frankly, I haven't raced in months as I've beat on my car so many times and keep getting 10.8's that I'm just not interested in that $5000 bill when I break something.

Of course, we said that with our c5's and now again with our c6's but we still modded the c6's! If you really want a 10 second machine, sell your car and get a z06. They have much stronger rear ends and if you can get a 6060 transmission (08+) it's even better. They are a much more suitable 10 second platform.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:20 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

OP- You have made some good passes. Congrats. By looking at your trap speed, there is potential for a 10 second pass. You will not need to strip the car either. As Joe mentioned, a set of skinnies will help. The key will be in both the 60' and 330'.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Vade46
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I am already running GTO skinny's with M&H race master bias-ply's up front but I have to use the aluminum spacers to clear my Z51 brakes. Those add weight which kind of negates the benefits of the GTO's a little but it is still better than running the stock fronts.

I always take out my passenger seat and remove the front sway bar when I race too, so I'm already there with that. I pay close attention to the fast list, beating the 11.3 is a goal of mine. Right now I'm actually 3rd on the Manual list. The next run ahead of me is only 0.008 seconds faster so I know that can be done. I've also compared my run with Silvervette's 11.34 (which is only 0.078 faster) and I think I can beat that too. I just can't figure out how he ran better with a 1.68 60ft about 40hp less than me. Maybe it's because I'm to fat, time for a diet....after a Thanksgiving feast though.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Don't underestimate the effect of weight...:my friend was 130 soaking wet, and that 60 lbs made a difference!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I am already running GTO skinny's with M&H race master bias-ply's up front but I have to use the aluminum spacers to clear my Z51 brakes. Those add weight which kind of negates the benefits of the GTO's a little but it is still better than running the stock fronts.

I always take out my passenger seat and remove the front sway bar when I race too, so I'm already there with that. I pay close attention to the fast list, beating the 11.3 is a goal of mine. Right now I'm actually 3rd on the Manual list. The next run ahead of me is only 0.008 seconds faster so I know that can be done. I've also compared my run with Silvervette's 11.34 (which is only 0.078 faster) and I think I can beat that too. I just can't figure out how he ran better with a 1.68 60ft about 40hp less than me. Maybe it's because I'm to fat, time for a diet....after a Thanksgiving feast though.
Even though I have an LS3 A6, I managed some 10.9's with 1.7's 60' times. Of course, the best was 10.82 with a 1.58 60' in some good (-760) air. At that time I had nearly all the same mods as you except for headers. The two big differences are the LS2 vs LS3 and that I had the rev limiter set higher than you. If you bump that up a couple 2-300 over the safety limit GM set, you'll not only finish the quarter without hitting the limiter, but about a tenth quicker too.

Oh yeah! Losing a few lbs will get you quicker times and better health. It's win-win. Pig out tomorrow and change eating habits starting Friday.

Quick Reply: 4.10's and 1/4 mile trap speed