C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 free and/or good bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 free and/or good bolt ons

hey guys just got forced out of a c5 to get in to the c6 no regrets here! i love the c6. i was looking for c5 bolt on's and i totaled the c5. now i have this good looking well kept c6 70k miles. what are the best bang for the buck bolt on's they have for these. im not looking in to pocket braking mods.

car has k&n drop in filter only.

interested in free performance mods.

looking at some e bay long tube headers and 3' Xpipe.

was thinking straight pipe after the x. i like loud.

will be street tuning with my tuner. already have aem wide band...
Old 11-18-2014, 12:12 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

What year C6? If it's an LS2 ('05-'07), search the shroud prop mod. Basically what it does is open up the lower portion of the shroud at the front of the engine bay allowing cool ambient air to reach your air filter. Some people have reported decent gains from doing this. That's really about it as far as free mods go.

Other than that, the best bang for the buck mods are a set of LTs and a tune, which sounds like you're already considering. After that the mod prices start increasing substantially.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:25 PM
dekan513
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with long tube and x pipe, i just bought summit mufflers 18" and put turn downs on them. i love the sound. wot it screams. not a lot of drone either. loud yes. got like 40 bucks in the mufflers after the x.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 PM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shado
What year C6? If it's an LS2 ('05-'07), search the shroud prop mod. Basically what it does is open up the lower portion of the shroud at the front of the engine bay allowing cool ambient air to reach your air filter. Some people have reported decent gains from doing this. That's really about it as far as free mods go.

Other than that, the best bang for the buck mods are a set of LTs and a tune, which sounds like you're already considering. After that the mod prices start increasing substantially.
thanks man! i know all these cars have lil things here and there that betters performance for free..

Originally Posted by dekan513
with long tube and x pipe, i just bought summit mufflers 18" and put turn downs on them. i love the sound. wot it screams. not a lot of drone either. loud yes. got like 40 bucks in the mufflers after the x.

Dyno pulls - YouTube
nice video! looks like the car pulls super strong what cam are you running on that thing ?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 PM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

i just ordered the tsp headers and there off road 3'' x pipe im thinking running to stock mufflers for now or just deleting the stock mufflers and make it straight pipe.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Is your C6 and LS2/3 M6/A4/A6?

I'd wait to remove the mufflers until you see how it sounds with just the headers. Sometimes people say they want a loud car until they have to live with it on a daily basis. If you do want more sound, it's just a muffler swap away.

Arguably the "best" performing CAI is the Vararam Snake Charmer. There are complaints of fit and finish but most of the time issues with fitment are related to improper install. Then there is the crowd who don't believe a CAI is worth it at all, but that's a different discussion. To save money though and still get decent results, search for the shroud prop mod like I posted earlier. I believe this is only beneficial on the LS2 though.

After a CAI, LTs, and a tune you really have to decide what your end goal is with the car. Bolt-ons, H/C, FI, stroker, etc. You also need to know your intended use of the car. Road course, AutoX, 1/4mile, weekend cruiser, etc. This will also play a big part in your mod path so build accordingly. Then of course there's your budget. But LTs and a tune is the perfect start.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:08 PM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

for a long while ill go making it full bolt ons lil by lil should be good with it for some time. h/c nitrous or cam super charged noooo time soon ...
Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 PM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

sorry 06 ls2 a6
Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 AM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

Is your C6 and LS2/3 M6/A4/A6?

I'd wait to remove the mufflers until you see how it sounds with just the headers. Sometimes people say they want a loud car until they have to live with it on a daily basis. If you do want more sound, it's just a muffler swap away.

Arguably the "best" performing CAI is the Vararam Snake Charmer. There are complaints of fit and finish but most of the time issues with fitment are related to improper install. Then there is the crowd who don't believe a CAI is worth it at all, but that's a different discussion. To save money though and still get decent results, search for the shroud prop mod like I posted earlier. I believe this is only beneficial on the LS2 though.

After a CAI, LTs, and a tune you really have to decide what your end goal is with the car. Bolt-ons, H/C, FI, stroker, etc. You also need to know your intended use of the car. Road course, AutoX, 1/4mile, weekend cruiser, etc. This will also play a big part in your mod path so build accordingly. Then of course there's your budget. But LTs and a tune is the perfect start.
i don't mind loud. my last two cars had 18'' bullets right after the the headers and turned down. not running dumps on this one tho! but yes straight pipe if i don't like ill get two 18'' bullets and put them where the old mufflers went....
Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

If I had an auto and wanted to keep the build fairly conservative but still be a powerful street/track brawler. I'd do headers, Vararam CAI, converter, and a tune. See how you do with that for awhile. Then you can decide how much money you really want to put into the build and go with a supercharger or stay NA with H/C.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 AM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

If I had an auto and wanted to keep the build fairly conservative but still be a powerful street/track brawler. I'd do headers, Vararam CAI, converter, and a tune. See how you do with that for awhile. Then you can decide how much money you really want to put into the build and go with a supercharger or stay NA with H/C.
that about what i want. i don't want to get serious with this car just a nice running cruiser these things are light so its easy to get them moving... i already have a nitrous system there but not installing for a long while...
Old 11-25-2014, 08:06 AM
lsx_c5_lemy
Intermediate

hey guys what do you guys think about the 228 r cam on stock stall? i been searching and people say 228/232 is the biggest they'd run so the 228 is slightly smaller. i wouldn't want to run in to and problems....

Get notified of new replies

To c6 free and/or good bolt ons

Quick Reply: c6 free and/or good bolt ons