C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to replace caliper bolts on my GS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Do I need to replace caliper bolts on my GS?

I'm putting new rotors and pads on my 2011 GS and apparently the caliper bolts are supposed to be replaced rather than be reused. Is this correct and if so does anyone know why?

Does anyone have a good (as in affordable) source for the bolts?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No one knows for sure, but we all suspect the reason is that new bolts come with a Loctite paste that GM knows is done properly. If they officially allow people to use blue Loctite and reuse the bolts, the lawyers are probably worried that someone would do it wrong and cause an accident with big liability.

Even my local dealership reuses the bolts, with blue Loctite, unless you tell them otherwise. Since they would make more money by selling new bolts at list price, that tells us something. But maybe they're wrong...

Some of the Trackheads here don't even use the Loctite, just torque down to spec and of course change frequently. No reported problems.

Me, I let them reuse the bolts one time with blue Loctite and then replace the next time. Probably too cautious, but that's me.

Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
No one knows for sure, but we all suspect the reason is that new bolts come with a Loctite paste that GM knows is done properly. If they officially allow people to use blue Loctite and reuse the bolts, the lawyers are probably worried that someone would do it wrong and cause an accident with big liability.

Even my local dealership reuses the bolts, with blue Loctite, unless you tell them otherwise. Since they would make more money by selling new bolts at list price, that tells us something. But maybe they're wrong...

Some of the Trackheads here don't even use the Loctite, just torque down to spec and of course change frequently. No reported problems.

Me, I let them reuse the bolts one time with blue Loctite and then replace the next time. Probably too cautious, but that's me.

Enjoy!
Apparently they are not torque-to-yield (do you happen to know?) if they were you couldn't reuse them but if it was just a loctite issue that is not really a concern if the job is done right.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
I'm putting new rotors and pads on my 2011 GS and apparently the caliper bolts are supposed to be replaced rather than be reused. Is this correct and if so does anyone know why?

Does anyone have a good (as in affordable) source for the bolts?
NO just use high temp locktite on the bolts on reinstall, I reused mine no problems 7 years! the stock have a bead of dry locktite on them
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
NO just use high temp locktite on the bolts on reinstall, I reused mine no problems 7 years! the stock have a bead of dry locktite on them
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Same here.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:56 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Ditto
Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I have been reusing the stock bolts for years. I don't bother with the locktite, I just hammer them on with the impact wrench. None have ever broken or come loose. I only replaced one bolt on my C5Z since it had a misshapen head that made it hard to use a socket on it.

Bill
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts

I've been reusing mine too, just torque to spec, no loctite, no problems. Had the calipers off a couple of times this year after track days, they bolts were hard to remove and had to use a breaker bar to do it.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I use a healthy dose of Loctite 266 on mine, then torque to spec.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Suds
I use a healthy dose of Loctite 266 on mine, then torque to spec.
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. When I first started working on cars back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and there was no internet this type of simple question would drive you nuts, now with the Corvette Forum these sort of questions are easily answered. Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Apparently they are not torque-to-yield (do you happen to know?) if they were you couldn't reuse them but if it was just a loctite issue that is not really a concern if the job is done right.
That has been discussed in the past; the consensus was that they are not torque to yield, just a Loctite issue. But I never did the research to verify.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need to replace caliper bolts on my GS?

Quick Reply: Do I need to replace caliper bolts on my GS?