C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Magnetic ride control working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 AM
JJB82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Magnetic ride control working?

I have a 2009 with magnetic ride control. When I switch between touring and sport mode I do not hear or see anything inside the vehicle which would indicate it is functional. In addition to that I cannot feel any difference in the vehicles handling. Is there anyway I can determine as to whether or not magnetic ride control is working properly? I hope I did not pay $1700 for a switch on my center console
Old 11-25-2014, 09:04 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Being a first time Vette buyer last year, I had the same reaction. There are several great posts on this forum about how MSRC affects handling. Do a search and you will find some very good info (IIRC, there is a detailed description posted by haljensen). My best description is that, at typical highway speeds and at less-than-aggressive driving pace, you will not feel any significant changes to the ride and handling between the two settings. There are quite a few here who will say that the 'Tour' setting is considerably softer and gives a better side than 'Sport', but I can't say I see a big difference. Where I notice the difference is the stability of the car and the crispness in handling when you start to push the speed into the uber-legal range--and certainly in a track setting. The body motions are damped more effectively, you get far less roll and pitch when the road isn't flat and smooth. Whether you got your money's worth is a question only you can answer, but you will likely recoup some of that extra money and get more interest in your car when it comes time to sell.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 AM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You should feel a difference if you (safely) saw the steering wheel right to left while driving and turning the switch. The steering wheel in the tour setting will feel soft and less direct then sport.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM
JJB82
Instructor

Originally Posted by kedar
You should feel a difference if you (safely) saw the steering wheel right to left while driving and turning the switch. The steering wheel in the tour setting will feel soft and less direct then sport.
I don't feel a difference. Is the system working properly?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:51 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I also think if there is a problem with the system, you will throw some codes and the car will let you know..
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Your not going to be able to tell a difference in normal driving at city speeds on decent roads.

Where might be able to tell the difference is going over uneven pavement at high speed or making quick directional changes at speed.

The difference between sport and touring is that the fluid in the shocks change viscosity (more like molasses [less fluid] in sport). In other words the shocks will be slightly stiffer when in sport mode. You would have less body 'roll' when taking a curve fast than if you were in touring.

Also less rebound over an uneven portions of the road when in sport mode.

I just always keep mine in sport unless the roads are really bad.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 AM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

JJB82:
I bought my F55 equipped car in March and I could not tell a difference between Sport and Tour, but these past few months have shown me that there is a big difference. You will notice a difference on roads that are either above average to extreme twisty or moderate to extreme rough/weathered IE the concrete roads of the Interstate System pummeled by big rigs.
Sport tightens up body roll when attacking the twisty roads with gusto.
Tour softens the sharp impacts when you are forced to drive on the big rig pummeled roads. It does not make the ride Cadillac soft but it does soften the impacts.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 PM
coupe4life
Advanced

I have a 2008,I personally couldn't feel the difference,that's why when one shock started leaking I replace all four with blistein hd,not to mention the cost of one shocks.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Magnetic ride control working?

Quick Reply: Is Magnetic ride control working?