C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with cam choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Ford1ton
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help with cam choice

Ls3 2012 a6 /ls3 CNC ported heads /headers don't want to do a torque converter at this time but would like to have little choppy idle
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 PM
tinman12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love to see some of the replies, I have the 2011 A6, planning long tubes, xpipe and a cam. I love the choppy idle but dont want the surging and no plans for a stall converter. Lots of good reading on here but most of the cam topics is M6 or big stall converters added.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM
mysloride
Racer

Hey guys,

I am in the same boat, looking for the same type of build. I live in DFW and we are fortunate to have 3 really good LS builder/tuners in LG motorsports, Gearheads Performance and Dallas performance.

I have spent a lot of time talking to all three. LG has their own brand of camshafts and have great results with them. The other two both recommended Brian Tooley stage II camshafts. Rumpty-Rump idle, no surging and will work with stock converter on A6.

I talked with the guys at Brian Tooley racing and they told me the same thing.

I think I am going to go that route

I will keep you posted on the drive-ability and tune results
Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Ford1ton
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mysloride
Hey guys,

I am in the same boat, looking for the same type of build. I live in DFW and we are fortunate to have 3 really good LS builder/tuners in LG motorsports, Gearheads Performance and Dallas performance.

I have spent a lot of time talking to all three. LG has their own brand of camshafts and have great results with them. The other two both recommended Brian Tooley stage II camshafts. Rumpty-Rump idle, no surging and will work with stock converter on A6.

I talked with the guys at Brian Tooley racing and they told me the same thing.

I think I am going to go that route

I will keep you posted on the drive-ability and tune results
is that place still open
Old 11-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Kip Fabre
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford1ton
Ls3 2012 a6 /ls3 CNC ported heads /headers don't want to do a torque converter at this time but would like to have little choppy idle
I have a 2010 vette LS3 M6 I put a LowLash Solid for a test but when converted to a HYD cam it was 222/600/230/114 it made 498 rwhp it serged below 2000 I could not put in 6 gear until after 90 mph it was terrible to drive. It sounded great but no fun to drive. Yes I had two different tuners try the get it to drive good. I took it out put in a 214/580/222/570/118 now it will drive at 55 in 6 gear. It still sounds good and makes 480 rwhp. 212/580/220/570/114 will work well with a stock converter. They will perform better than you think. Don't go to big if you want a good driving cam.

Last edited by Kip Fabre; 01-22-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 AM
mysloride
Racer

Originally Posted by Ford1ton

is that place still open
Not sure which one you are referring too, but I would assume you mean Gearheads. Yes they are open and doing great. They specialize in Mustangs and are well known in that crowd. I have known the owner "Travis" for years. He Supercharged and tuned my Chally SRT8. built, installed and tuned a stroked 426 motor in my 300 SRT8.

I have a comfort zone with these guys. They do quality work and stand behind it.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:05 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Get a pro to spec you a cam. Something like low to mid 220's intake with high 220's exhaust. LSA either side of 114. Something like a 224/228 114+2 would work well in your rig. -2 degrees of overlap. It would sound good and be easily made to play nice with an A6. That's what I would use in your circumstances. You might want something totally different.

Personally, I wouldn't fool with a cam that came with a "name" and no specs. If you think that someone who's never met you, doesn't know your car, doesn't know your likes/dislikes, your wants and needs... is going to have the perfect cam for you on their back shelf? Yeah, right.

Try Pat G. He's done more than a few cams and has many happy customers (me included). A cam swap is expensive if you have someone do the work, and a time consuming PITA if you do it yourself. Do it once and so it right
Old 11-28-2014, 09:38 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Get a pro to spec you a cam. Personally, I wouldn't fool with a cam that came with a "name" and no specs. If you think that someone who's never met you, doesn't know your car, doesn't know your likes/dislikes, your wants and needs... is going to have the perfect cam for you on their back shelf? Yeah, right. Try Pat G. He's done more than a few cams and has many happy customers (me included). A cam swap is expensive if you have someone do the work, and a time consuming PITA if you do it yourself. Do it once and so it right
Good advice, call a pro. I called Martin Smallwood at Tick Perf and couldn't be happier.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with cam choice

Quick Reply: Help with cam choice