C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST intake on stock engine??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default FAST intake on stock engine??

I'd like to know what some of the experts think on this point. I have a non modded 2011 LS3 Grand Sport, A6 and I want to know from people who have installed a FAST intake (which one and what throttle body) on a non-modified LS3 and what performance they gained. I can't see where the install of one on a car that does not have headers, cam, head work, gears (mine has 2.73's) or converter (OEM) can justify the cost. I have no plans on installing headers or cam on the car, so take that into consideration if you are recommending a change. This car is my DD and I am not going to go down the "heavily modded" route, like my last series of cars, so please don't say...when you install the headers & cam...or...converter and gears, the manifold will really come alive...it is not going to happen. The only additional mod going on the car is a set of ported & coated OEM exhaust manifolds from M A Performance as soon as they get them done and I don't expect much from that but it's as far as I want to go.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The LS3 intake is good and is not your bottleneck in stock form. Headers are the first mod to do, then a cam. The FAST is only used if you are at the end of the mod trail and have done all other mods (headers, cam).

My thread might be interesting to you to see graphically how all the mods fit together, even though it is for a ls2, the concepts are the same as to where the mods matter and which ones to do first.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-heads.html
Old 12-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You should find something else to spend your money on, there will be zero gains with only an intake manifold change.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:49 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

I agree with the above posts. The FAST is almost a finishing mod.

It sounds as if it might be too late, but you should look into Z06 exhaust manifolds. Some members have reported decent gains with these and you'll still have a stock sounding/looking car. I don't know what the gains are on ported LS3 manifolds.

One question though. If you don't want headers, what is you reasoning for porting the stock exhaust manifolds? (sound? price?)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by shado
I agree with the above posts. The FAST is almost a finishing mod.

It sounds as if it might be too late, but you should look into Z06 exhaust manifolds. Some members have reported decent gains with these and you'll still have a stock sounding/looking car. I don't know what the gains are on ported LS3 manifolds.

One question though. If you don't want headers, what is you reasoning for porting the stock exhaust manifolds? (sound? price?)
Porting the stock manifolds isn't going to yield much I'm quite sure. Putting on z06 manifolds (which is such an esoteric change that only a Corvette tech would know you did anything) is a proven solid performance mod. Hoxxoh has actual track results from going to Z06 manifolds to headers, but from the top of my head, he got 80% of the gain of headers and is a great mod for those needing to stay away from headers for emission reasons.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:09 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Suds
You should find something else to spend your money on, there will be zero gains with only an intake manifold change.
Don't waste your money.

Get notified of new replies

To FAST intake on stock engine??

Quick Reply: FAST intake on stock engine??