C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z06 suspension bits on base c6

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Default z06 suspension bits on base c6

I'm still slowly repaying my dad for his infecting me with car fever as a child...

I have 2008 Z06 parts off my car I want to install for him on his base 2009 C6 with magnetic ride...

Here's what I was thinking:

Replace his stuff with Z06 stuff:

front leaf spring
front and rear Pfadt adjustable shocks (old style)
front and rear Z06 sway bars
+ the needed Mag-ride defeat plugs

My questions are:

Should I also swap the rear leaf, or is that too much for stock tires?

He doesn't push his car much, but likes a stiff ride.. No track time planned.

Any other thoughts or suggestions please fill me in.
Thanks.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Tech II to pull the F55 system,
Z06 front sway bar
Z51 rear sway bar.
Front spring to FE3, not the FE4 off your Z06,
Rear spring stays the same,
Pfads will work fine one adjusted correctly.

Simply, he does not have enough tire for a Z06 set up, and although the car will be stiffer/less lean in the corners, will end up sliding it out more, end up with too much over steer.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:24 PM
80atez
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
Tech II to pull the F55 system,
Z06 front sway bar
Z51 rear sway bar.
Front spring to FE3, not the FE4 off your Z06,
Rear spring stays the same,
Pfads will work fine one adjusted correctly.

Simply, he does not have enough tire for a Z06 set up, and although the car will be stiffer/less lean in the corners, will end up sliding it out more, end up with too much over steer.
I've revised my plan and am going to do the following:

front Z06 leaf spring
front and rear sway bars.
Leaving the Mag ride.

He doesn't push his car near .8G really, and I think he will like the stiffer feel of this without removing his mag ride option for softer shocks. If his shocks are not up to snuff for this in "sport" mode, I'll swap out the shocks to the Pfadts.

I appreciate the input above. From what I've read, many have used Z06 sways on base C6's with improved handling. The front Z06 spring should neutralize it even more.

Last edited by 80atez; 12-14-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Might be pushing into T1 sway/ T1 spring land without the needed down force to make it work land. Hence front end too stiff/over sprung to transfer balance, dive into/track through a corner correctly.

Trust is, your first option with Z6 full package may be a the lesser of two evils instead, (going to under steer with the front end having more grip than the rear, the back end walking out instead).
Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 AM
80atez
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
Might be pushing into T1 sway/ T1 spring land without the needed down force to make it work land. Hence front end too stiff/over sprung to transfer balance, dive into/track through a corner correctly.

Trust is, your first option with Z6 full package may be a the lesser of two evils instead, (going to under steer with the front end having more grip than the rear, the back end walking out instead).
Thanks for the post, but I think I need a clearer explanation. I get some of it, but a front end having more grip is oversteer when the rear end lets go first. But I agree, the initial plan could tend to understeer more than the later.

If it were me I'd put the pfadt shocks on, but my dad wants to keep the F55 shocks and not mess with the computer for now. I suspect the stiffer setting will do OK, and he isn't going to be crawling under the car to adjust the pfadts! He also doesn't push the car too much and I guess I don't want to over stiffen the car if he's never over 7/10ths - and so really not near true over or understeer situations.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:51 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Much better balance is to use Z51 sways with his F55 shocks. The handling will improve even more with some stickier tires without the side effect of oversteer or understeer that Z06 springs and/or sways would produce.
If he's not going to the capability limits, don't put him in the position of finding out what happens until it's too late. Let him have fun, but keep him safe.

Get notified of new replies

To z06 suspension bits on base c6

Quick Reply: z06 suspension bits on base c6