C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long awaited smog scoop

Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Long awaited smog scoop

I underwent my first inspection for the 2008 C6. I returned it back to stock mostly. I previously had full bolt on's.

Now I have the Z06 manifolds and "H" pipe along with a tune and a ring and pinion change in the differential, 4:10's.

There was a lot of speculation early on with the news of the OBD scan with the elimination of the tailpipe sniffer. This was maybe 3 years back and finally in August, after some delay, California implemented the new law.

Talk of the tune showing up and I also read talk of the gear change showing up too on their test software. Both possibly would indicate a fail condition. The Z06 swap while oem is not technically legal but nevertheless it passed the visual as did the car.

I hope this will elevated some other's fears. I have not read much about this issue in the past year or so.

It fully takes effect in 2015. There was a grace period for the shops to get up to speed with the software from the August go ahead.

I am one happy camper ...

Posted up in the general section and added it here.

Last edited by Boomer111; 12-14-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Missed it in Gen section, Booms! Glad to see it here. BTW, what is your car putting out with the tune and the Z's exhaust system on a LS3?
Old 12-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by AORoads
Missed it in Gen section, Booms! Glad to see it here. BTW, what is your car putting out with the tune and the Z's exhaust system on a LS3?
Dynoed 407 rwhp , 394 tq. The biggest loss from the long tubes was the torque. I was 422/422 with the long tubes catted.

But remember I have the 4:10 gearing an as I understand it is worth about an additional 10 hp. at this power level.

I was 400 400 with tune only all else stock. Most report 10-12 rwhp with the Z06 stuff so this is about in the same ballpark. The torque took the hit with little gains over the tune only numbers.

The gear change messes up the calculating.

I have no dyno numbers with just the 4:10's. They were added after the vararam and AR headers.

With the 4:10's and the headers the car really woke up.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for the info, Dave.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt think they could see everything down to that level with a scanner. I thought they could see if the computer had been flashed within a few hundred miles. Guess Ill find out later this year.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flyr282
I didnt think they could see everything down to that level with a scanner. I thought they could see if the computer had been flashed within a few hundred miles. Guess Ill find out later this year.
Ya my tune has been on for years.

The tech thought that the new laws were going to miss stuff too.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Ya my tune has been on for years.

The tech thought that the new laws were going to miss stuff too.
Good to hear, I just have to take my Halltech intake off whenever I need to go smog, hopping I can get away with the Fast fuel rails since the Fast 102 is carb legal.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Good to hear, I just have to take my Halltech intake off whenever I need to go smog, hopping I can get away with the Fast fuel rails since the Fast 102 is carb legal.
Just as long as you have a C.A.R.B complaint number.

No number then not complaint.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Ya I made sure to put that sticker in the engine bay from the fast. Inspector tried to ding me when I moved to CA with the CAI on my truck because one number had a scratch on it.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:50 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Here in Calif where I am---The new smog rules say that they simply check to make sure all the "readiness tests" are completed --and 2nd there are NO DTC's or codes--and 3rd visually no smog equip has been removed (cats -- air pump--EGR etc)
That is for any car 2002 or newer---
Good news is that any tuner can permanently set ALL your readiness tests to "ready " permanently--and remove any codes permanently---
The question comes up if a smog shop can tell if alterations have been made to your ECM to alter these settings----The simple answer is NO----Even the dealer can't tell IF your ECM has been altered----
NOW in 2014 GM and others have now encrypted their tunes and there IS a possibility that someone can tell via your ECM's "Checksums" that it's been altered
But so far because new cars in Calif don't require a smog for 4 years we won't know for sure IF that is indeed correct or just a scare tactic for 4 years
But for any car 2013 and older I know I can make any car pass smog if need be by tricking the ECM and No one will know----but me and the owner---------------
Old 12-15-2014, 03:41 AM
Flyr282
Instructor

Originally Posted by tblu92
Here in Calif where I am---The new smog rules say that they simply check to make sure all the "readiness tests" are completed --and 2nd there are NO DTC's or codes--and 3rd visually no smog equip has been removed (cats -- air pump--EGR etc)
Good news is that any tuner can permanently set ALL your readiness tests to "ready " permanently--and remove any codes permanently---
The question comes up if a smog shop can tell if alterations have been made to your ECM to alter these settings----The simple answer is NO----Even the dealer can't tell IF your ECM has been altered----
NOW in 2014 GM and others have now encrypted their tunes and there IS a possibility that someone can tell via your ECM's "Checksums" that it's been altered
But so far because new cars in Calif don't require a smog for 4 years we won't know for sure IF that is indeed correct or just a scare tactic for 4 years
But for any car 2013 and older I know I can make any car pass smog if need be by tricking the ECM and No one will know----but me and the owner---------------
What part of CA is that? I was under the assumption that any part that was added to the vehicle that was not a direct stock replacement had to have a carb sticker. If 3 on that is true everything is pretty much fine as long as your not running long tubes.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Here we go with the Checksums again...

This is what the speculation was for me 4 years ago.

Hence why I posted.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:21 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

What part of CA is that? I was under the assumption that any part that was added to the vehicle that was not a direct stock replacement had to have a carb sticker. If 3 on that is true everything is pretty much fine as long as your not running long tubes.
To make it clearer I said that---- 3rd VISUALLY no smog equipt has been altered-- The exhaust system is part of the smog system
This includes any aftermarket headers that do NOT have a CARB sticker
Same goes for the air intake system---it is considered smog equipt
so again any aftermarket replacement must have a CARB sticker
Sorry for the confusion----
Basically after Jan 1st in Calif---any car 2002 or newer will NOT be run on the sniffer or rollers to check NOX or HC's---all they will look at is:
1 . Visually no smog equip has been altered and if so that part has a CARB sticker
2. There are NO DTC's
3. All the readiness tests read "ready"
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

To make it clearer I said that---- 3rd VISUALLY no smog equipt has been altered-- The exhaust system is part of the smog system
This includes any aftermarket headers that do NOT have a CARB sticker
Same goes for the air intake system---it is considered smog equipt
so again any aftermarket replacement must have a CARB sticker
Sorry for the confusion----
Basically after Jan 1st in Calif---any car 2002 or newer will NOT be run on the sniffer or rollers to check NOX or HC's---all they will look at is:
1 . Visually no smog equip has been altered and if so that part has a CARB sticker
2. There are NO DTC's
3. All the readiness tests read "ready"
Yup my tech already had the required software.

Get notified of new replies

To Long awaited smog scoop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long awaited smog scoop