C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing stock cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:40 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Removing stock cats

For testing purposes and off road use only, has any one removed the stock cats out of there stock pipes and used them? I'm wondering if nocking the cats out of the pipes will help cut down the heat, help with flow. I don't have the funds right now for a full exhaust so I was wondering if there is any pros and cons to doing this? I'm not sure if the bubble left in the pipe will cause flow issues or not.
Adding a supercharger with stock cam. I know the cats will most likely clog up if left alone.

If long tubes is the only way to go I will just wait and spend the money but Id rather spend it on beer.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Fuel is cooling, so although you will be running the motor on the richer side of AFR with the supercharger, the OEM cats are still close enough to the heads to not clog/foul up.

Gain wise, not as much as you think punching them out/straight piping through, and with the car running richer on the AFR side, you want the cats in play so the car does not stink of unburnt fuel instead.

Bluntly, even with a E force 600hp kit, you can still make 650HP with everything stock, including the stock exhaust system as well.

And a little heads up, with the gain of power, your going to be hobbling the power even more with TM to get the car drivable/not burn the tires down to the rims every time you breath on the gas pedal.

Quick Reply: Removing stock cats