C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A hello, and an anti-theft/electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 AM
AnarchoBoxer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A hello, and an anti-theft/electrical question

Hello all! I'm new here, but I decided to join due to the caliber of the posters I have seen as a lurker. I look forward to being here and chatting with you all.

On a 2005-13 Corvette, what has to be done for the car to function normally without its factory instrument cluster installed? I ask because "dummy gauges" in modern vehicles are a major bugaboo of mine, and I'm not a fan of pillar pods. I from experience know that the 1999-2004 Mustangs won't run without their clusters (without modification, anyway), and I suspect most modern cars are this way.

I know that the AIM MXL Strada will plug right into the OBD port on a C6 and do its thing, and ideally I'd like to make a panel for this out of carbon fiber on a waterjet and create a nice, clean and understated instrument panel that is fully functional, so I can monitor my car's health with absolute confidence. Plus, I just like the look!

Here's a pic of what I had in mind.

Thanks so much in advance, and I hope you all have a great one!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AnarchoBoxer
Hello all! I'm new here, but I decided to join due to the caliber of the posters I have seen as a lurker. I look forward to being here and chatting with you all.

On a 2005-13 Corvette, what has to be done for the car to function normally without its factory instrument cluster installed? I ask because "dummy gauges" in modern vehicles are a major bugaboo of mine, and I'm not a fan of pillar pods. I from experience know that the 1999-2004 Mustangs won't run without their clusters (without modification, anyway), and I suspect most modern cars are this way.

I know that the AIM MXL Strada will plug right into the OBD port on a C6 and do its thing, and ideally I'd like to make a panel for this out of carbon fiber on a waterjet and create a nice, clean and understated instrument panel that is fully functional, so I can monitor my car's health with absolute confidence. Plus, I just like the look!

Here's a pic of what I had in mind.

Thanks so much in advance, and I hope you all have a great one!
one sure way to tell just pull the plug and try it.
it is kind of easy to do
Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to check out the dashtronics for the C6. You might want to add a HUD if you don't have one. just some items for thought.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:19 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I would just unplug it and see if everything runs. I must say though that it looks to me like a big step backwards in terms of the looks and visibility of the instruments.

Get notified of new replies

To A hello, and an anti-theft/electrical question

Quick Reply: A hello, and an anti-theft/electrical question