C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP cut-out

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 PM
antares7364
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP cut-out

Hi,

I wanted to install QTP electric cutouts on my C6 Vette, but someone told me that the "low profile" version (which is the only one fitting the C6) has big problems of overheating which makes it breaks after a few months.
And it seems to be quite difficult to install under the Vette.

What do you think ? Does someone has it ? Is it reliable or not ?

Thanks !
Olivier (from France)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:40 PM
05BlueC6
Intermediate

I had QTP low profile cutouts right where the pipes meet the axle backs. never had a problem with them other than I didn't have turndowns on them and they were cooking my trans. For the cost and the fact I never closed them I went with bullet axle backs on the current vette. Cutouts are cool at first then the feature gets old and you ended up spending a lot of money on parts and fabrication for just a straight pipe. I'll see if I still have pics of them.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:10 PM
antares7364
Intermediate

Do you remember which brand of cut-out did you use, and for how long ?
Thanks for information
Old 12-21-2014, 05:14 PM
05BlueC6
Intermediate

QTP low profile
Old 12-21-2014, 05:17 PM
antares7364
Intermediate

Sorry, stupid question, I didn't see the beginning of your last answer.
For how long did you have them on the vette : 1 year, 2 years ... ?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Please bring me up to speed on the thought process here.

All your back pressure is at the cats, so if you are going to do any good, then they need to be before the cats/ after the headers.

If you are running high flow cats, or even no cats with a straight through muffler design, then the QTP are doing nothing more than making the car sound like a trash truck alone.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:15 PM
antares7364
Intermediate

The goal is to bypass the mufflers to hear more sound (with a valve operated by remote control). The cats stay untouched.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:33 PM
05BlueC6
Intermediate

I only had them for a few months before I sold the car. I don't keep them long. And I had stock mufflers so it was either super quiet or super loud.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:38 PM
antares7364
Intermediate

With the remote control you should be able to have any position between "quiet" and "loud" ?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by antares7364
The goal is to bypass the mufflers to hear more sound (with a valve operated by remote control). The cats stay untouched.

So no gain in power, and pretty much the same as just putting a playing card in the spokes with a close line pin.

Ditch the QTP idea, and just install NPP mufflers instead (can get a set off Craigslist on the cheap).

You can pull vacuum from the intake, through a wild to mild type switch in line, to the mufflers, and when you want the extra noise (that sounds good, and not like a dump truck with open pipes), just hit the switch to open the straight through valves on the mufflers.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 AM
antares7364
Intermediate

I've seen NPP mufflers in action on a friend's Vette, I didn't like the sound much, I mean I didn't see a big difference between open/closed positions.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for Fusions if you want to switch between quiet and loud. Gen 3 specifically. I have them, love them. May end up trading with someone local for Bullets though... I just never run them closed, and the Mrs has gotten used to the sound.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've had QTP cutouts for 8 years now. They are very reliable and because they direct the sound below the car, rumble in the car sounds awesome and different from other cars. I love my qtp cutouts. Here is my thread from long ago with video.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1628234-installed-cut-outs-on-my-c6.html
Originally Posted by Joe_G
Had QTP cutouts installed by Florida Performance in Fort Lauderdale. Overall very pleased with the job Rob, the shop owner, did. This was his first C6 and he found a great place to put them and made the custom mandrel bent Y-pipes to maximize flow from the cutouts. We found no way to put them right after the collectors but they fit well by the trans. I have the DTE brace too but it wasn't in the way.

Installed the wiring myself along the drivers side rocker panel, behind seat then out the wheel well under the carpet. Removed the rear inner fender and drilled a small hole in the wheel well then ran the wire down to the cutouts. Hardest part is finding a hot wire when the ignition is on on these C6's. I ended up tapping the seat heater fuse as others here have done.

They are loud and DEEP when open at idle. I've actually heard louder exhaust though, I was kind of surprised they are not louder. I think it is because of the turn downs and the fact that I have cats and the pipes are pretty long before the cutouts. On the track they have a nice race car sound - I'd say like Borla Stingers plus 25%. When you open them at a stoplight you will turn heads, that's for sure.

I did not see any track gain with them so far - but we had an unusually cold day at the track Saturday (negative 230 DA and 53 degrees and 70% humidity) and I could not get any grip at the line, spinning every time.

I did notice on my HP Tuners logs at the strip I was running lean so I added some fuel, but I can't say if that was because the cutouts or the cold weather but I will find out soon. We don't stay cool long.

Overall happy with the mod, it gives me quiet during my morning drive but loud when I'm at the track which is what I wanted.

Here is a video of idle with cutouts open and closed. The gain on the mike makes the closed sound much louder than it is, it's really quiet with factory mufflers even with my cam.

Here are some pics:

Old 12-25-2014, 03:42 PM
antares7364
Intermediate

Thank you very much Joe G, your thread gave me a lot of useful informations.
I guess you used the "low profile" version too, because of the lack of space.
And knowing that you are still satisfied for so much time is reassuring.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Glad it helped. I really like my qtp cutouts. As you could perhaps tell from the video it gives me the best of both worlds; stock quiet or racecar loud.

I have the standard units, not low profile. They are a high quality product, standing the test of time.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:05 PM
antares7364
Intermediate

I thought the standard profile could not fit under the C5/C6 ?
When I see your photos it seems OK...
Old 12-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by antares7364
I thought the standard profile could not fit under the C5/C6 ?
When I see your photos it seems OK...
It sure does. Needs a good exhaust man to weld it up.

Get notified of new replies

To QTP cut-out

Old 12-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I've had QTP cutouts for 8 years now. They are very reliable and because they direct the sound below the car, rumble in the car sounds awesome and different from other cars. I love my qtp cutouts. Here is my thread from long ago with video.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html
Well, that video pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm putting these things onto my C4 383 stroker. What can I say? Going thru a mid-life crisis looking to relive my misspent youth one last time before it's too late.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
So no gain in power, and pretty much the same as just putting a playing card in the spokes with a close line pin.

Ditch the QTP idea, and just install NPP mufflers instead (can get a set off Craigslist on the cheap).

You can pull vacuum from the intake, through a wild to mild type switch in line, to the mufflers, and when you want the extra noise (that sounds good, and not like a dump truck with open pipes), just hit the switch to open the straight through valves on the mufflers.
Their main use is at the drag strip were backpressure isn't needed (WOT). It's an easy alternative to make your car sound incredibly loud and depending on fitment like a truck or somewhat decent.

For what its worth I had my cats on my 4.6L Mustang swapped out with resonators and pulled the mufflers. Sounded deep and agressive. I loved the sound of the exhaust hitting the ground under the car.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
Well, that video pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm putting these things onto my C4 383 stroker. What can I say? Going thru a mid-life crisis looking to relive my misspent youth one last time before it's too late.

It's a great mod. You will be happy!

Quick Reply: QTP cut-out