C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tensioner for C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 AM
eagletwo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tensioner for C6

This is a additive to my first post in C6 tech: The dealer trouble shot the noise to the Tensioner pulley, replaced the serpentine belt for now but will need a new pulley in the near future because the bearing is close to wearing out. I think they are correct and checked the part numbers for the whole assembly(12569301). Price was $80 but they said the removal and installation would be 6hrs of Labor at @ $100/hr. Has anyone replaced one recently,if so how do you do it. Thanks,Al
Old 12-20-2014, 10:30 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Why did they think the tensioner is going bad? Are you having belt noise? If so most likely your harmonic balancer is wobbling. Replacing that is a 6 hour job. Replacing the tensioner is a couple bolts and maybe 10 minutes of time.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 AM
eagletwo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Why did they think the tensioner is going bad? Are you having belt noise? If so most likely your harmonic balancer is wobbling. Replacing that is a 6 hour job. Replacing the tensioner is a couple bolts and maybe 10 minutes of time.

Thanks for your response. They never stated anything on the invoice except for the belt change and the service rep said the tension device was loose and they tightened it up. I will get with them Monday and sort out what they really meant. I think you are correct and they ment the Balancer. Anyway the new belt and what ever they tightened up solved the problem for awhile and I am sure it will be back again. Thanks for your input again, Al
Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletwo
Thanks for your response. They never stated anything on the invoice except for the belt change and the service rep said the tension device was loose and they tightened it up. I will get with them Monday and sort out what they really meant. I think you are correct and they ment the Balancer. Anyway the new belt and what ever they tightened up solved the problem for awhile and I am sure it will be back again. Thanks for your input again, Al
First off, I had a tensioner (upper B) in schematic that was making a noise on my 2006 shortly after I changed the waterpump, and replaced the belts.
I thought I was going to need a tensioner, so I bought one ($65.00) but before I got around to replacing it, the noise went away.
Maybe because of new belts needing to seat themselves, or whatever.
That was 3 years ago, and I still have the new tensioner in the OEM bag.

I checked the part # that you supplied, and that is indeed the Accessory tensioner (B) and GMpartsdirect sells it for $68.50.
So I guess your dealer will make a few $$ from you on that part.
To change out the tensioner, remove the belt (A) remove the Accessory tensioner (B) 2 bolts, install new tensioner 2 bolts, install the belt (A)

Total time - 30 minutes max (with coffee break incl)
Bring in the schematic, just to make sure that is what they are going to change out. If it is, then 1 hour Max should be what they charge you for labor to do it.
If they say 6 hours, RUN RUN to another dealer, or to a reputable shop, and they will do it for 1 hour guaranteed.

It can't be the balancer (crank pulley) as that would cost at least $180-$200.00) and minimum 6-8 hours labor to replace, most likely more hours than that as the steering rack, etc has to be removed to access the balancer bolt etc. The balancer doesn't have a bearing, so what they spoke of cannot be the balancer pulley.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-20-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:09 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

^^ My question is why was he at the dealer. If he has/had belt chirping noises it most likely is a wobbling balancer. New belt makes it go away for a little while and it comes back. Very easy to look at the balancer and see if its wobbling. I know dealers over charge for things but saying it will take 6 hours to replace a tensioner is so extreme it must be a mistake and they meant balancer not tensioner.

Get notified of new replies

To tensioner for C6

Quick Reply: tensioner for C6