C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal on floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 AM
retaf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch pedal on floor

I've been away awhile but my C6 is stuck in a parking lot now. 2009 C6 with less than 10k miles and clutch pedal stays on floor and can be easily pulled up by hand. Is this something simple or not?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:51 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-floor.html
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 AM
retaf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, I just read the ranger method. That wouldn't work for me would it since the pedal won't pump up or would it with clean fluid?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:33 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

You have a failed master cylinder. It happened to me and it's happened to countless others. And the worst part, not covered by any kind of warranty.

I was quoted over $800 at a local Chevrolet Dealer for the fix. I ended up going to a corvette specialty place and think i spend $450 with an new GM master cylinder.

Good Luck
Old 12-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If it were me,,, I would go to the local auto parts store and get a new master cyl.. Prime it on the bench and install it.

The QUICK DISCONNECT fitting allows you to disconnect and reconnect it without getting air into the system.

If you need help priming it, just ask! Some come primed bit I still do my own just to be sure.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 PM
00Hawk#140
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can someone please explain how to bench bleed the clutch master cylinder before i try to install it... the auto store one i got didn't have fluid in it, i had a mechanic add fluid to the master cylinder and he pumped it a few times but i don't believe that is all it needs... a few bubbles came out the reservoir, but nothing out the line that goes to the clutch.. seems like there has to be air in that line.
thanks
Old 12-03-2021, 10:53 PM
vinco
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 154 Posts

Bench bleeding is not too difficult in concept but is not so easy in practice. The hardest part is holding the master cylinder well enough to be able to push in the piston. Once you figure that part out it gets easier. Once you have it held down, you want to fill the reservoir with fluid and be able to cycle the piston in and out.

If you have enough access, and you can put something around the firewall to protect the paint, then you can actually bench bleed it mounted on the car, you just don't hook up the line to it yet.

Anyway, once you figure out how to hold it or mount it, then you fill the reservoir. Once full, the idea is to leave the outlet hole open as you push the piston in and cover the outlet hole as you let the piston back out. This creates a vacuum, which draws fluid into the cylinder between the piston seals. I mostly just use my finger to cover the hole. Cycle the piston enough times that it consistently forces fluid past your finger every time you push in the piston (it won't at first.) Once you've achieved this, then just hook up the line to the clutch, and you're done with the master cylinder. Then just bleed the clutch as normal.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2021, 10:03 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

My old style master clutch cylinder failed on the track. The new GM updated master cylinder (black reservoir) came with the fluid included. No bleeding necessary.

I removed the old and installed the new.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:25 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,803 Likes on 4,235 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by 00Hawk#140
the auto store one i got didn't have fluid in it,
The updated GM mc is part #19331709 and comes pre-filled. Is there a reason you went with an auto store mc instead of the GM part?

Get notified of new replies

To clutch pedal on floor

Quick Reply: clutch pedal on floor