C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing OnStar Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:50 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Missing OnStar Fuse

My new for me '11 C6 seemed too darned loud. Yeah, it has the NPP but this was at all rpm's.

Today I decided something is screwy so I checked the fuse box. The PO pulled the 10a fuse for the NPP. Since I didn't have another 10a fuse and I am allergic to OnStar anyway, I pulled the 10a fuse from the OnStar and replaced the NPP fuse.

I'm concerned that this will cause an issue or throw a code so before I take another spin, I'd like to ask the group if this is a bad idea or what consequences a missing OnStar fuse will create in my car (if any).
Old 12-25-2014, 11:20 AM
shawnaj7731
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was pulled more then likely do the fact that onstar will drain the battery and its known issue that numerous people pull the fuse to eliminate the onstar draining the battery, Including myself.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:29 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Misunderstanding. The NPP fuse was pulled by the PO. I pulled the OnStar to have a 10a. I used the pulled OnStar 10a to replace the NPP fuse. This leaves the OnStar fuse older empty.

I"m going to assume from your post that no harm will come or codes thrown by the missing OnStar fuse.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

No there won't be any issues. OnStar won't drain your battery if you decide to reinsert the fuse. Nothing to be afraid of if you leave the OnStar fuse in. They will not spy on you. I have it activated on all of my cars so I can get reduced prices on my insurance and they have never reported my 150+ mph speeds to State Farm and I hit 150+ mph quite often this year in Florida and Virginia although only half as often as I did the 4 previous years in NY State.

Bill
Old 12-25-2014, 12:02 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Boy, I' having a hell of a time this AM getting understood. I'm going to leave this off now.

I am not worried about being spied on or my battery draining or anything except the consequences of no OnStar fuse. I"m satisfied that no harm will come and my car will again use the NPP as designed.

Thanks to all for the info. I'm off for a (quiet) drive.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:29 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Boy, I' having a hell of a time this AM getting understood. I'm going to leave this off now.

I am not worried about being spied on or my battery draining or anything except the consequences of no OnStar fuse. I"m satisfied that no harm will come and my car will again use the NPP as designed.

Thanks to all for the info. I'm off for a (quiet) drive.

Folks have been to too many Christmas parties the past few weeks.

You are fine with the OnStar fuse out. Enjoy.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:56 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RicK T

Folks have been to too many Christmas parties the past few weeks.

You are fine with the OnStar fuse out. Enjoy.
Thanks, Rick. My bad for even ASKING a tech question today

Get notified of new replies

To Missing OnStar Fuse

Quick Reply: Missing OnStar Fuse