C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:10 PM
416yellowz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?

Hello everyone, I could use some words of wisdom from you guys.

I'm having a problem that's really worrying me.

The car has a lingenfelter crate motor in it that only has 4k miles on it. About 500 miles ago, the previous owner had to go through the motor and replace all of the bearings/etc because one of the arp bolts went into the motor and caused some problems. Everything was fixed at "wall2wall" and the car was back to normal.

Now here's my problem.. yesterday I noticed the oil pressure was reading 10 psi at idle at a red light. I gave the car some throttle on my way home while keeping an eye on the gauge, and it only got up to about 35psi at full throttle.
I parked the car overnight, and I went outside this morning and started it up. Oil pressure was normal (35 psi at idle and gets up to 60-80 when i give it gas).. so I decide to go drive it around for a bit. As the car continues to get warmer and warmer, the oil psi continues to get lower and lower. Once car was at full temp, the oil psi was back to 10psi at idle. There is no weird noises or knocking.
So car was towed to a shop this morning. First thing being checked is the sending unit (which i dont think it is because it usually gets pegged out at 0 or 100 when that goes bad).

My question is... if sending unit is working properly, where do i go next? Do i just change the oil pump and hope that fixes the problem? Or should I check the clearance of the new bearings? Just trying to go the route that will cost me the least amount of money obviously..
Any advice is appreciated..thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Assuming the sender is OK, the list of what could be causing the problem gets huge. I doubt it'd be the oil pump but it could be. These usually outlast the car unless something goes through them which gives them indigestion.

I'd suggest first staring by listening to the engine with a stethoscope sort of arrangement if needed. Bearings with too much clearance make noise. In reality though, problem bearings should be audible with your bare ear.

I'd also, as a first step, remove the oil and filter. Examine both. Filter by dissection and oil by filtering through something like fine cheesecloth to look for metal. Then come back for some more suggestions if oil / filter is clear and the engine sounds good.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:04 PM
nerijusj
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start with a simple oil and filter change and see if that helps before doing anything else. I had the same happen on my 08 sierra truck. When I bought it at auction, it warmed up and oil pressure dropped, beeps to shut the engine etc.... First thing I did was oil and filter change. It solved the problem. Not sure what exactly was the problem, maybe just a bad filter....or oil overdue as it was very dark. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:20 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would send an oil sample in to see if there is bearing material in it.

Just another opinion.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I would send an oil sample in to see if there is bearing material in it.

Just another opinion.
Problem solved.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x3 on cutting the filter open
Lingenfelter I believe warranties their engines unless some fine print rule somewhere was broken if anything they would have the motor and your Vin on file I bet. Think Ken is on this board (pretty sure thats his name)
Old 01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Lingenfelter I believe warranties their engines unless some fine print rule somewhere was broken if anything they would have the motor and your Vin on file I bet. Think Ken is on this board (pretty sure thats his name)
Ken owns it but Mike Copeland is the guy running it. Great guy.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
unless I'm mistaken..I would think the first post above has the broken "fine print" you are referring to.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
416yellowz
Instructor

Sorry guys, i forgot to mention that i did change the oil/filter last night after i noticed the problem. I cut open the filter and searched through everything for any kind of metal shavings, and I couldn't find anything. Oil psi still dropped this morning even after the oil change
Old 01-03-2015, 03:54 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 416yellowz
Sorry guys, i forgot to mention that i did change the oil/filter last night after i noticed the problem. I cut open the filter and searched through everything for any kind of metal shavings, and I couldn't find anything. Oil psi still dropped this morning even after the oil change
Send the oil in for analysis. Just becasue there are not any shavings doesn't mean that the bearings are not gone.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:10 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 416yellowz
Hood open, engine on. Any nosier than before the drop in pressure?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM
416yellowz
Instructor

no change in noise. And it has yella terra rockers, so valve train noise is really loud
Old 01-03-2015, 05:52 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Let's hope then that the sender is bad. When will you know?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would not assume that the sender is good...you need to get a real pressure reading before anything else. The sending unit is a weak point that many on the forum have had problems with, including me. My pressure went from normal to 130 to 0 when the sending unit was going bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure. Bearings going bad?