C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping to an auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:12 PM
rocket ride
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping to an auto transmission

I know you guys will groan, but how difficult and expensive would it be to have a chevy dealer swap the new 8 speed automatic tranny into my 2013 427 convertible in place of the current 6 speed? Wife refuses to learn to shift, and the new 8 speed seems quick. Is the new 8 speed in the Z06 the same tranny as in the standard C7 Vette? Gotta be some computer swapping I would guess. Thanks, DT
Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Well, you know what they say: "Fortune favours the brave"!
I say go for it. If it works, you're going to have one awesome convertible.
I don't know anything about the new A8 other that what I've read, but I'm sure that you will find someone that can make it work. The trick is obviously going to be getting the TCM to interface properly with the ECM in your car. I think it may help that the new 8 spd has an external TCM, but I'm not sure.
Alternatively, the much easier route would be to do a 6L80 swap. Subfloor, who works for Century transmissions and is our resident transmission guru, has a bada$$ N/A 427 mated to a 6L80 and he knows how to make those transmissions run and live. I would recommend that you contact him and I'm sure he will steer you right.
Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:01 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

RPM transmission has done the 6l80 conversions on C6s - the cost was around 10k iirc

The 8speed should be possible but the cost would likely be very high...
Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:56 PM
rocket ride
Advanced

Originally Posted by CI GS
Well, you know what they say: "Fortune favours the brave"!
I say go for it. If it works, you're going to have one awesome convertible.
I don't know anything about the new A8 other that what I've read, but I'm sure that you will find someone that can make it work. The trick is obviously going to be getting the TCM to interface properly with the ECM in your car. I think it may help that the new 8 spd has an external TCM, but I'm not sure.
Alternatively, the much easier route would be to do a 6L80 swap. Subfloor, who works for Century transmissions and is our resident transmission guru, has a bada$$ N/A 427 mated to a 6L80 and he knows how to make those transmissions run and live. I would recommend that you contact him and I'm sure he will steer you right.
Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.
Thanx for the wisdom and well wishes. I would like to persue this as I like the upcoming Z06 convertibles, but I love my 427 and the body style of the C6. I'm open to anyone who can guide me on this project.
DT
Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Good luck!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The swap is actually pretty easy, and a number of people here have done it. Just a little expensive.
The procedure:

1. Jack up the license plate.
2. Install the 2015 C7 automatic model you like most.
Done!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm not joking, don't do it! Sell yours and get what you need. You will be chasing mechanical and electronic gremlins forever.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:36 PM
rocket ride
Advanced

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
I'm not joking, don't do it! Sell yours and get what you need. You will be chasing mechanical and electronic gremlins forever.
I have been concerned about this too. Hence I am here asking questions.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 01-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket ride
I have been concerned about this too. Hence I am here asking questions.
It would be a slick set up if you can ever debug it. This is more of a showcase project for a speed shop with extensive software experience, not something to be undertaken by an individual. And when you are done what have you got? A one-off headache that will have significantly diminished in value. It just isn't worth the hassle. Do you want a car you can drive or a project in need of constant attention?

It would make more sense to use all that money either to buy her a car that she can enjoy and keep the Corvette or trade the current Corvette in on a new C7 with the 8 speed automatic. The C7 Z51 with the A8 transmission will be very very close to a C6 427 up to about 100 mph and will actually out handle the C6 plus it has all the latest tech and a warranty.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be a slick set up if you can ever debug it. This is more of a showcase project for a speed shop with extensive software experience, not something to be undertaken by an individual. And when you are done what have you got? A one-off headache that will have significantly diminished in value. It just isn't worth the hassle. Do you want a car you can drive or a project in need of constant attention?

It would make more sense to use all that money either to buy her a car that she can enjoy and keep the Corvette or trade the current Corvette in on a new C7 with the 8 speed automatic. The C7 Z51 with the A8 transmission will be very very close to a C6 427 up to about 100 mph and will actually out handle the C6 plus it has all the latest tech and a warranty.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:37 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe we should just trade cars.Your wife will be happy with the paddle shifters. simple and easy fix.We can exchange titles tomorrow.
Bill
Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
rocket ride
Advanced

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
I believe we should just trade cars.Your wife will be happy with the paddle shifters. simple and easy fix.We can exchange titles tomorrow.
Bill
Ahh thanks Bill, but mine is a convetible and did I mention the 427?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I started a related thread on the feasibility to go A8 few months past. The difference is I want to go from A6 to A8 to handle the extra 300ish hp I put on my C6.
Called few vendors then and the answer was possible because the A6 and A8 are almost identical in size but expensive because somewhat experimental due to the electronical/TCM refit.

To me it all depends on the price of the 8L90. The issue I am having right now is that it is not listed for sale yet. GM Powertrain site list it in the 2015 product guide but Chevrolet performance does not...

My2c

Cheers
Old 01-07-2015, 04:24 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket ride
Ahh thanks Bill, but mine is a convetible and did I mention the 427?
Darn,shucks, shoot. did I mention I like convertibles and 427's! We can still do it tomorrow! That is a very nice ride.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping to an auto transmission

Quick Reply: Swapping to an auto transmission